Forum idea........

Saddle

Forum idea........

Post by Saddle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:45 pm

With all of the equipment and supplies and animals being sold between members here why is there no feedback section? I think it would benefit the folks here to be able to know who to deal with and who not to deal with. I do a lot of buying and selling on other forums and they have feedback sections that are very helpful when it comes to sending money to someone you don't know.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Re: Forum idea........

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:01 pm

Not my call but I am not in favor of it on this board as we focus on helping the newcomer with the knowledge needed to train a hunting dog and not a trading post. We would have no way to accurately collect or supply the info that says anyone is honest or not. I would rather just assume people are honest till they prove they aren't. Personally over the years I feel like a lot of people on here are my friends and I trust them. And I would even if someoe tried to say they weren't if there is no proof of who is telling the truth. We have had that happen too many times already. Lets just stick to our primary purpose and let everyone deal with who they want to and not stick anyone on this board in the middle.

JMO
Ezzy

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:07 pm

That sounds good until you come up on the wrong side of deal here.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:02 pm

Saddle wrote:That sounds good until you come up on the wrong side of deal here.
Yep, think you are right. But how would it be any better if someone told you it was OK before you come up on the wrong side of a deal?

Ezzy

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:51 pm

At least you would have something to go on. As of right now there is nothing.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:01 pm

Saddle wrote:At least you would have something to go on. As of right now there is nothing.
OK o what do you propose that would change that? We know nothing you don't.

Fester

Post by Fester » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:38 pm

I have had very good luck trusting ppl on dog forums, if there was someone on here just to rip you off he would be found out very fast, we are all dog folks of different levels but most of us share the love for the sport above all and for the most part would bend over backwards to help each other
Fester

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:57 pm

It would be very easy... Just like the softball forum we visit saddle, you simply post a thread about the other guy and your experience ypu had with them. Good or bad feedback. It would be pretty simple. And when ypu dobfuturre business with someone, you can look them up and their feedback.
I know someone who has gotten screwed on this forum out of some cash. Just a suggestion.

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 pm

Please forgive the terrible spelling and typos. Dang smart phone and fat fingers.

nightmaregundog

Post by nightmaregundog » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 pm

Feed back on here would be a very good idea

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:51 pm

I don't think it would be a good idea. Enough nasty things are said without opening up another opportunity. I was on a forum that allowed feedback on sellers/ buyers. :roll: There would be a comment like : "Don't buy anything from him ; he overcharges." Don't deal with her unless someone is watching your back." The Mods would have another full time job.

The way E bay provides for feedback ( stars) is good but too involved for here.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:54 pm

That's exactly right John it could be done exactly the same way.

V-John

Post by V-John » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:57 pm

What about only positive feedback allowed then? That way if there was no feedback then it would be buyer beware...

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:58 pm

I know I always check the reviews on Amazon and Ebay. But don't seem to miss them on Craigs List or ABE Books.

I have no suggestion on how it would work operationally here.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:15 pm

V-John wrote:What about only positive feedback allowed then? That way if there was no feedback then it would be buyer beware...
I think the people that regularly post here are good people. I wouldn't hesitate buying some thing from them. But when a person lists something for sale and its there first or second post, buyer beware.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:30 pm

I disagree. Just because you are a regular here doesn't make you a good person.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:49 pm

It doesn't ???? :o

nightmaregundog

Post by nightmaregundog » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:01 pm

I agree with saddle. Adding a feed back system like they use on archery talk would be very nice

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:27 pm

I am also suspious of people who think they need one when there hasn't been a problem.
I agree with the regulars being solid and newcomers needing to prove themselves.

Ezzy

brad27

Post by brad27 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:39 pm

Saddle wrote:I disagree. Just because you are a regular here doesn't make you a good person.
I've found that the people that love dogs are usually good people. People that are on this board for a year and a couple hundred post aren't here to rip someone off.

nightmaregundog

Post by nightmaregundog » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:44 pm

Im a little sceptical of the people that are so against it what is there to hide.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 pm

The main thing we would hide is misinforemation that someone who didn't like you might put on the forum.( This has already happened) Other good reasons to not get involved is the amount of work it would require which none of you would want to do plus the harm it could do to your reputation,(already have had threats of personal harm to people who have posted something someone else didn't like such as threating phone call to the person ad his kids) and the liability exposure (already had several threats of lwsuits) it would bring to the posters as well as the owner of the forum.

Those of you that think it would be good have no idea how some people react to things they don't like. Always easy to suggest new things and that is good but most don't handle the facts very well when the problems it causes are pointed out.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:47 am

These are all just excuses. I'm a member of several other boards were they have feedback forms and they are very very smooth. If you leave false feedback for somebody you get banned from the board it's real simple. Those other boards manage to do it really easily I don't know why this 1 couldn't too.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:49 am

ezzy333 wrote:I am also suspious of people who think they need one when there hasn't been a problem.
I agree with the regulars being solid and newcomers needing to prove themselves.

Ezzy
I bought a dog from a regular a few weeks ago and got scammed there you have it.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:50 am

nightmaregundog wrote:I agree with saddle. Adding a feed back system like they use on archery talk would be very nice
Exactly I'm a member of that forum and softball fans as well and they do it the same way and it works perfectly.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:37 am

I have a pretty good idea of how people react to things they don't like. I like it when people online tell me what I know. It's great.
:roll:
Anyways, as Saddle pointed out, it works perfectly on a softball forum. This forum has over 30,000 members, and over a million threads. The buy/sell is very VERY active and it works just fine there.

I don't think it would be difficult to either make it a part of the product review portion, OR to change the "test" or "GDF Labratory" to a place to put up positive reviews. From what I understand, doing that isn't that hard. I mean, those are pretty heavliy used subforums, I know. :roll:
I think that if the reviews are simply positive, and not negative (so there aren't liability issues) then things might work.

I know of another person that attempted to buy a video on here. He sent the money, and the person never sent the video. That particular person simply "disappeared" it seems. Well, I went to sell a video on here and the guy was very leary. And rightfully so. He wanted to talk with me, and get a sense of my character, I suppose, and who can blame him? The transaction went very smoothly and we chatted on the phone for quite a while. Great guy.

But I'm just a peon here, so just my opinion.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:18 am

You allready have a feedback arena IMO,it's called start a thread,ask a question about a breeder and use the PM function to have opinions expressed whether good or bad in private as to not sling mud.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:22 am

Wildweeds wrote:You allready have a feedback arena IMO,it's called start a thread,ask a question about a breeder and use the PM function to have opinions expressed whether good or bad in private as to not sling mud.
What if it is about an item, not necessarily a pup or horse?

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:31 am

How would sending private messages benefit others on the forum?

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Forum idea........

Post by ACooper » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:27 am

Most forums that have a for sale section also has some sort of feedback for buyers and sellers. I can't imagine why it would hurt.

nightmaregundog

Post by nightmaregundog » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:31 am

It wouldnt hurt a thing but the great and powerfull OZ said no

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:31 am

nightmaregundog wrote:It wouldnt hurt a thing but the great and powerfull EZ said no
There. Fixed it for you.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:50 am

I see no harm in trying it. If and WHEN it become the center for gossip and begins to drag down the forum, it gets shut down. I surely can see both sides to the argument for/against. What more will it require from the volunteer moderators that ALREADY have enough to do?

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:25 pm

topher40 wrote:I see no harm in trying it. If and WHEN it become the center for gossip and begins to drag down the forum, it gets shut down. I surely can see both sides to the argument for/against. What more will it require from the volunteer moderators that ALREADY have enough to do?
Chris,

You are living the dream. I want your job. :)

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:27 pm

Other sites that are quite a bit larger then this site do it and have no issues. They are also run by younger forward thinking individuals. That helps. If you leave false feedback you get banned. Plain and simple.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:59 pm

V-John wrote:
topher40 wrote:I see no harm in trying it. If and WHEN it become the center for gossip and begins to drag down the forum, it gets shut down. I surely can see both sides to the argument for/against. What more will it require from the volunteer moderators that ALREADY have enough to do?
Chris,

Heck, you can have Tophers job, here's where you sign up. :D
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=39936

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:41 pm

nikegundog wrote:
V-John wrote:
Chris,

Heck, you can have Tophers job, here's where you sign up. :D
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=39936
oh no, his for real "job". :)

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:22 pm

As a person new to this forum and just starting back up in dog training I think you guys are on to something good.
Look around at some of the tech sites. I know tech is a much bigger field but think, that just makes the job of implementing
this less hard. I bet Steve at "gundogsupply" could use something like this.
I would be happy to help in anyway I could.
-Jeff

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Saddle wrote:Other sites that are quite a bit larger then this site do it and have no issues. They are also run by younger forward thinking individuals. That helps. If you leave false feedback you get banned. Plain and simple.
So if you look at a tech site like gdgt.com they have done a nice job. forward thinking individuals is right. This is something Ive been looking for it is what is missing in the world of dog training and hunting. I could look and find in 10 minets what 58in TV to buy but I have to look at 50 posts and still not know what e-collar is right for me.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:26 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Not my call but I am not in favor of it on this board as we focus on helping the newcomer with the knowledge needed to train a hunting dog and not a trading post. We would have no way to accurately collect or supply the info that says anyone is honest or not. I would rather just assume people are honest till they prove they aren't. Personally over the years I feel like a lot of people on here are my friends and I trust them. And I would even if someoe tried to say they weren't if there is no proof of who is telling the truth. We have had that happen too many times already. Lets just stick to our primary purpose and let everyone deal with who they want to and not stick anyone on this board in the middle.

JMO
Ezzy
Just wanted to reprin this that was my original post. It became evident that those of you that just have a terrible time with me didn't read it or enjoy finding fault more than using common sense.
I am closer to how this forum operates than most of you, but as you pointout you know more about it than I do. Just to point out what part of the problem is we had a member who has been on this board under several different names and in each case he has been banned permanently. So he changes his name and rejoins. If you think feedback is important he is one of the people who would post a lot of bad reviews plus there would be many posted about him instead of sending the PM's to myself and other moderators. He has bad mouthed so many people and is always being taken advantage of or being cheated by someone. I don't think any of you want him writing reviews for anything.

Another example we had one individual threaten a Mod with bodily harm, threaten to burn his house down, steal his dogs, and started making phone calls to the Mod and then his children.

And of course the threats of lawsuits to the owners must not have happened on the boards you all are talking about but they have happened here and I doubt very much if anyone wants to take that on. When you stop to think we have allowed people to use this site to advertise on for free even though that is not why we are here I think we all should be happy we have this place to come and talk and not try to tell someone how to run their business. Personally I like the fact that Rob encouraged new ideas and put those that we thought would work in place and yet it isn't enough that he has done that without some of you critizing what he has done for all of us.

Just believe once I suggested something I would listen while waiting for a decision instead of bad mouthing anyone because of a chip on your shoulder. It just doesn't help your cause. A few of us have tried to keep this whole thing on track and a few have found fault with what we have had to do while most appreciate what someone has provided for your education and enjoyment.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:48 pm

Its common to fear change Ezzy.

To everyone else I think it could be done. It is done elsewhere with no problems. Its just an idea that would BETTER the forum.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:59 pm

If I attack people personally like you do Ezzy I would be banned in you know it. You win I'm done posting.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:03 pm

Saddle wrote:If I attack people personally like you do Ezzy I would be banned in you know it. You win I'm done posting.
Thank you for the feedback . But I would like to see the people with the scars that I have attacked personally. Maybe it was Better Bird Dogs or Big Sugar or Big Andy

fourseasons

Post by fourseasons » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:21 pm

Interesting idea about feedback for the TRADING POST subforums - however, you already can post commentary in the GENERAL CHAT section.

We - the Mods here - are really working on keeping the TRADING POST ads as just that... ads! Many of you will have noticed that in the past two years there's been a great effort on the part of the Mods to move sold and old ads to the ARCHIVE in a timely way, and to move non-advertising queries to appropriate CHAT subforums, thus helping to ensure only items still for sale and available are posted in the active subforums. We also do our best to stay in touch with members via PM (whenever possible) regarding issues that need addressing with their ads. And... we strive to keep the "chat" (ie, non-ad related discussions, and 'bump' type of replies) out of the ads. Posting opinions of sellers/buyers in the TRADING POST subforums - set up for ads and ad-related questions - isn't appropriate, but maybe the Admin and other Mods might weigh in on whether it's desired to create a new CHAT subforum for those opinions. I personally wouldn't want the task of refereeing and/or verifying those opinions in addition to the work I already do as a Mod of the TRADING POST subforums! ;-)

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:02 pm

Fourseason- I totally agree with your take on having to officiate a trading post subforum. TOTAL HEADACHE and we already have enough to keep us busy.

V-JOHN- You can have my job if you really want it. Requirements are as follows: Cook, clean, change diapers, tutor, potty trainer, iron, sew, handyman, office manager, field medic, dog trainer, bird farmer, horse trainer, and sex slave :lol: . The grass isnt always greener my friend :wink: , so stick to "working" 9 months a year and enjoy your vacation! 8) 8) 8)

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:55 pm

Saddle wrote:If I attack people personally like you do Ezzy I would be banned in you know it. You win I'm done posting.
I don't think that's right saddle. I did attack someone on here, everybody likes the guy including me. But I figured he had it coming and he got it. He complained to ezzy and ezzy got ahold of me, he was more than a bit upset. I did not get banned! I think he did his job really well even though he clearly thought I was wrong. I see a lot of guy's flip him crap I don't see how he deserve's. Over and over and your still here. The guy can't be all that bad!

Now for the sake of argument, how did this go to suggesting a new forum to you would be banned if you attacked people like he does? I don't think I've ever seen where I though he attacked anyone. I have seen a lot of attacks on him, and they are all still here.

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:05 pm

DonF wrote:
I don't think that's right saddle. I did attack someone on here, everybody likes the guy including me. But I figured he had it coming and he got it. He complained to ezzy and ezzy got ahold of me, he was more than a bit upset. I did not get banned! I think he did his job really well even though he clearly thought I was wrong. I see a lot of guy's flip him crap I don't see how he deserve's. Over and over and your still here. The guy can't be all that bad!

Now for the sake of argument, how did this go to suggesting a new forum to you would be banned if you attacked people like he does? I don't think I've ever seen where I though he attacked anyone. I have seen a lot of attacks on him, and they are all still here.
This post was a joke right?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:13 pm

Johng918 wrote:
DonF wrote:

This post was a joke right?
No it's not. So the op's post was about a new forum?

Johng918

Post by Johng918 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:23 pm

Now for the sake of argument, how did this go to suggesting a new forum to you would be banned if you attacked people like he does? I don't think I've ever seen where I though he attacked anyone. I have seen a lot of attacks on him, and they are all still here.[/quote]
This post was a joke right?[/quote]

No it's not. So the op's post was about a new forum?[/quote]
No it's about an improvement to the current forum.

admin

Post by admin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:54 pm

Appreciate the ideas and discussion, but there's NO WAY the lawyer would let that happen here.

And maintaining all those "free" ads is a TON of work. Hats off to the mods who make this board work! Extra special thanks coming soon, too!