THE MEN BEHIND THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Neil
GDF Junkie

THE MEN BEHIND THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:08 pm

On another thread the idea was presented that the National Championship is the purview of the very rich - only the very rich.

I opined it not true.

First only a few of the professional trainers are doing more than making a living.

A quick look at owner handlers reveals that most come from working class families.

Some examples:

Quinlin was a school teacher.
Billy Blackwell a small farmer.
Gary Lester a bigger farmer
So is Joe Don House.
Keith Wright an even bigger farmer.
Ferrel Miller a state employee.

Tom Honecker was in construction and heavy equipement rental.

Allin13

Re: THE MEN BEHIND THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:17 pm

I've never seen a poor farmer!lol

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:19 pm

Cont.

Now to compete at this level takes a driven person, so they tend to be successful in all areas of life and many did gain some wealth, but few inherited it.

Then we have Dr. Corder. Blake Kukar, Hendricks have made a good deal of money by my standards, but few would consider them the mega rich.

Now some of the owners are rich by any measure.

I post this so others may dream about being on the Ames Plantation steps. It does not take great wealth.

Neil

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:30 pm

I was reading a article on the past field trialers such Gates, Mack and Crangle just to name a few and those guys had it hard. Driving from tennesse to Canada In a model A on dirt roads that took them 14 days and sleeping on the side of the road! they started with nothing.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:48 pm

And sadly, it is not better for most of today's young pros.

Most would have more net income if they worked at the local feed store.

Now that those that stay with it take good care of their families, but is was a struggle for years.

I admire them all.

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:23 pm

but guys like Luke Eisenhart,Mike Tracy and Robin Gates had the road paved for them. the house was built for them they just had to keep it up.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Allin13 wrote:but guys like Luke Eisenhart,Mike Tracy and Robin Gates had the road paved for them. the house was built for them they just had to keep it up.
I believe that is the way it should be but all that says is some one worked hard to keep the business going and you better work just as hard or it will disappear just as quickly.

Ezzy

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:40 pm

do you think those guys had to find a place to train, buy horses, horse trailer, a nice big truck etc etc?

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:50 pm

Let's not be fooled here. It takes money to own a major circuit all age dog. Let's hear the figures Neil. How much does it take to maintain a dog on the major circuit for a year?

Rajin Kennel

Post by Rajin Kennel » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Andy im gonna say close to 40,000.....

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 pm

but how much does that dog make a year? stud fees and winnings?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:11 pm

Allin13 wrote:do you think those guys had to find a place to train, buy horses, horse trailer, a nice big truck etc etc?
Yes if they have been at it for very long as all of those are overhed items that depreciate pretty rapidly except for the land and even that might if it is leased and not owned. And then there are taxes.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Allin13 wrote:but how much does that dog make a year? stud fees and winnings?
And how many of them lay down and die?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:40 pm

I would think $30,000 to 40,000 per dog is about right. Most have 2 or 3 waiting in the wings for the one running. I know of guys that have spent a million bucks and not won it.

But most of the owner/handlers have found a way to offset those costs, some making it pay. A school teacher ot small farmer had to or they couldn't play.

I don't think that true in other sports. I think every other National Champion cost multiple millions, race horses. Cutting horses. Football, etc.

I never made it, but it was a realistic dream, winning the Kentucky Derby was not. So if you don't think you can do it and don't try, you won't. But lack of money is not a good reason.

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:49 pm

And how many of them lay down and die?[/quote]

Why do you think so many do?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Allin13 wrote:And how many of them lay down and die?
Why do you think so many do?[/quote]
Depressed immune systems would be my choice for cause since such a high percentage of premature deaths are attributed to cancers and infections.

cmc274

Post by cmc274 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:34 pm

I think the 30-40k is pretty high. I'd say 10-15k, which isnt chump change by any means.
$4,500- Monthly training (450x10)
$250- Boarding during not training months (125x2)
$3,600- Entry Fees (12 trials at $300 each)
$1200- Handler Fees (12 trials at $100 each)
Sum- $9550
That leaves $5,450 for travel, expenses, etc, which is pretty high.

Allin, I find it humorous that you think being the son of a pro means that you have it made. The only thing that they could inherit that would make them successful is a good work ethic. Because if you arent working hard and winning, doesnt matter if your dad was the pope.

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:42 pm

cmc274 so learing how to train a dog from people we read about...to me that is having it made!! just having the name opens more doors. I never said they were any less of a trainer just have it made...

Now if you send your dog to a trainer thats your call but I want to train and handle my own dog. if i send my dog to a trainer/ handler and that dog wins at ames It had nothing to do with me!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:44 pm

Allin13 wrote:I've never seen a poor farmer!lol
You need to get out more. :wink:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/07/27/who ... hard-data/

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:46 pm

Sharon we farm 2500 acres. Ive been farming with my family since I was 14. on paper they like to make it look bad but in the end no farmer is hurting!!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:47 pm

I think your entry fees/handling fees low, closer to 24. Plus the trip north, vet fees. And a rough guess at amortized and prorated costs of truck, horses, tack, trailer, travel. Kennels, pasture, land, barn, etc.

Now if you didn't go to trials yourself, just wrote a check, the cost is closer to $12,000 per.

I didn't consider mental health costs.

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:52 pm

Sharon, Im not talking about a farmer with a pig and two cows! Im talking about a full time farmer.

SCT

Post by SCT » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:58 pm

I think it would be a very tough way to make a living and I for one admire them, but maybe more for their drive than anything else. If they are going to win they need clients with dogs that CAN win or raise their own ( which would be preferable to me). They work their butts off on the circuit and on the prairies. They must absolutely love their job because no one can say it isn't a tough one.

Look at how far Richie Robertson travels to get to the National. Is there any other pro handlers from this far west going to Nationals. He must love what he does and is very good at it. I have total respect for these guys who spend a good part of their life on the road, just to show the best they have.

Steve

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:05 pm

Sharon wrote:
You need to get out more. :wink:

http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2012/07/27/who ... hard-data/
If there is any farmer who is not below poverty line on their tax return they need to hire a better accountant.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Sheldon Twer comes from Ca...but I didn't pay attention to whether or not he qualified a2013 dog
an extra day or twos drive is a small price to pay

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:19 pm

Allin13 wrote:Sharon we farm 2500 acres. Ive been farming with my family since I was 14. on paper they like to make it look bad but in the end no farmer is hurting!!
YOU DO NEED TO GET OUT MORE

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:22 pm

So ezzy you farm also?? Is there anything you dont do?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:45 pm

Over the past 80 years not much. If you come up I will take you on a tour. Most of the families farm land has been sold but my g-grandparents, grand parents, parents and myself have all farmed. When I volunteered for the service, I had to get rid of everything I had and couldn't really afford to start again so I went to worj for a farmsupply company and worked with farmers for a lot of years. Two of my boys and myself did buy 300 acres a few years ago and still farm that plus have a lot of turkeys and deer to hunt. Farmers have never gotten rich farming but many have due to land appreciation over the years. But you have to sell before you get to spend any of that.

I have a few acres of timber land here in IL too that we hunt and use for dog training. There are a few other things I am involved in but we will just let that go for now. So the answer is there are quite a few things I have done, thousands of things I haven't, and millions of things I haven't learned yet. But I do know what I have been involved in and do try to be honest when I attempt to help others out that haven't been here as long as I have but someday they will be and will know more than they do today.

I am thinking of jumping off a bridge or something though so you younger guys like Tommyboy can move up the ladder. 8) 8)

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 pm

I lived in Scottsdale AZ from 81-06 (servants quarters ) and used to watch the red Lears and Gulfstreams come in when the Huskers played in the Fiesta Bowl. Those poor farmers with nothing to do during the winter :)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:01 pm

ezzy333 wrote: ...................................I am thinking of jumping off a bridge or something though so you younger guys like Tommyboy can move up the ladder. 8) 8)

ROFLMBO

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:08 pm

Im not saying farmers are rich, just not poor. I've seen what my uncle makes and what he pays on taxes. its a good living when you have crop insurance and can tax everything.

here is a example.
my uncle has a $24,000 backhoe delivered to the farm.
Me: whats that for?
uncle: I dont know but when can use it for something.
me: then why did you get it?
uncle: Had to hide money...

Wish i had that problem

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:10 pm

AZ Brittany Guy, thats a tax write off. lol jk

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:21 pm

Allin13 wrote:AZ Brittany Guy, thats a tax write off. lol jk
Got a tour through a "family farm" in Spencer Iowa one year and was shown one outbuilding that was about 3 stories tall that had a brand new combine with tires at least 18 feet tall with an airconditioned cab. A work area you could eat off the floor with every hi tec, numatic tool known to man kind. A computer room that measured the moisture in the soil on property 5 miles away. Nice people. They said I could hunt their property any time I wanted. Poor people who lead a simple life living off the land :lol:

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Allin13 wrote:but guys like Luke Eisenhart,Mike Tracy and Robin Gates had the road paved for them. the house was built for them they just had to keep it up.
If you really believe this, then you should make a trip out over the summer break when they aren't trialing and see how easy they have it. I think you would find that those who had built the house have very high expectations of the ones getting to rent the house. I believe that George Tracy is still the King of that castle, and by the looks of the season he is having so far, he doesn't seem to be letting up on the youngsters.

Joe

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:54 pm

Why don't you try to stay on topic?

Other than Keith Wright none of the farmers I listed (the topic) are rich.

They are hard working country boys that are getting by just fine, they don't have jets and they have found a way to break even with the dogs or by selling some of the better ones, Make a buck or two.

Any of us, if we had the moxie and worked hard enough, could reach the same level. It is not money holding us back.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:55 pm

AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
Got a tour through a "family farm" in Spencer Iowa one year and was shown one outbuilding that was about 3 stories tall that had a brand new combine with tires at least 18 feet tall with an airconditioned cab. A work area you could eat off the floor with every hi tec, numatic tool known to man kind. A computer room that measured the moisture in the soil on property 5 miles away. Nice people. They said I could hunt their property any time I wanted. Poor people who lead a simple life living off the land :lol:
You do have a tendency to take care of those machine when you have to pay a quarter of a mil for them and somewhere near a couple of thousand for each of those tires, My neighbor manages to ruin a couple a year running over antler sheds. And if you sit in that combine for an hour with all of the dirt and dust coming up directly into your face, you will soom rewalize that is one place they need an air conditioned cab.

Those nice little instruments that measure the moisture and turn the 20,000 dollar irrigation system on and off are nice and pretty well needed if you want to get top yeilds out of your crops. When you are paying a couple of hundred an acre for fertilizer,and possibly a hundred or two for chemicals, plus 100 an acre for seed we don't even need to add in the 4 dollar fuel that that powers those tractors and combines to realize just how much of a gambler you need to be to invest all of that money before you even know if the weather is going to allow your crop to grow.

I think we all know the farmers have made out pretty good over the past few years in most areas but there were a lot of years when we lost many of them through foreclosure and most of the others that made it were working off of the farm at night and the wife was working too.

One thing about it, farming is open to all of you, it is there for the taking, and as you say, an easy way to get rich for anyone who wants to do it rather than just talk about it.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:09 pm

jcbuttry8 wrote:
If you really believe this, then you should make a trip out over the summer break when they aren't trialing and see how easy they have it. I think you would find that those who had built the house have very high expectations of the ones getting to rent the house. I believe that George Tracy is still the King of that castle, and by the looks of the season he is having so far, he doesn't seem to be letting up on the youngsters.

Joe
Joe that was such a stupid statement, I thought it best to ignore it. But thanks for setting the record straight.

Luke, Mike, Robin, Andy, etc. got where they are from hard work, and stay there by working harder. I don't like to have them insulted.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:44 am

ezzy333 wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:
You do have a tendency to take care of those machine when you have to pay a quarter of a mil for them and somewhere near a couple of thousand for each of those tires, My neighbor manages to ruin a couple a year running over antler sheds. And if you sit in that combine for an hour with all of the dirt and dust coming up directly into your face, you will soom rewalize that is one place they need an air conditioned cab.

Those nice little instruments that measure the moisture and turn the 20,000 dollar irrigation system on and off are nice and pretty well needed if you want to get top yeilds out of your crops. When you are paying a couple of hundred an acre for fertilizer,and possibly a hundred or two for chemicals, plus 100 an acre for seed we don't even need to add in the 4 dollar fuel that that powers those tractors and combines to realize just how much of a gambler you need to be to invest all of that money before you even know if the weather is going to allow your crop to grow. :gib:

I think we all know the farmers have made out pretty good over the past few years in most areas but there were a lot of years when we lost many of them through foreclosure and most of the others that made it were working off of the farm at night and the wife was working too.

One thing about it, farming is open to all of you, it is there for the taking, and as you say, an easy way to get rich for anyone who wants to do it rather than just talk about it.
Well put Ezzy and true. I can't argue with you on this one.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:59 am

ezzy333 wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:

Those nice little instruments that measure the moisture and turn the 20,000 dollar irrigation system on and off are nice and pretty well needed if you want to get top yeilds out of your crops. When you are paying a couple of hundred an acre for fertilizer,and possibly a hundred or two for chemicals, plus 100 an acre for seed we don't even need to add in the 4 dollar fuel that that powers those tractors and combines to realize just how much of a gambler you need to be to invest all of that money before you even know if the weather is going to allow your crop to grow.

\

I grew up in the panhandle of Oklahoma. I started working for farmers when I was thirteen. My first summer job was pulling a one way off a cab less crank start tractor. I say give that a try on a summer day with 30 mph winds and 102 outside, you'll think different about that air conditioned tractor. By the time I was sixteen, I worked for a farmer that was much better off and had much better equipment. He certainly had a much better work ethic and cared more about what he was doing. Neil and Ezzy are both right, and it runs right along with this thread. It takes drive and determination in anything you do. I love those people that think farming and raising cattle is easy work. If you believe it's that easy and those farmers make so much money for not a lot then what are you doing staying where your at? Head out to the mid west and buy you up some land and tractors and get started.

I suggest you make sure you have some good help. Whether in your own house or hired. When harvest comes around and weather is threatening, and you have to have that combine running from 3 or 4 am til midnight just to make sure you get every grain possible and at the moisture level that the elevator will accept, to make sure that you can pay for those tires and that irrigation system.

If you want to talk about those who have it easy and make a great paycheck doing it, lets discuss the 20 to 40 year old that get an unemployment check delivered to there house every month for doing absolutely nothing. I have one living 4 houses down from me. He is 22. Every night I come home from work, I have to slow down while he hones his basketball skills on the street. Now, that's the good life.

Joe

SD Pheasant Slayer

Post by SD Pheasant Slayer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:10 am

ezzy333 wrote:One thing about it, farming is open to all of you, it is there for the taking, and as you say, an easy way to get rich for anyone who wants to do it rather than just talk about it.
jcbuttry8 wrote:Head out to the mid west and buy you up some land and tractors and get started.
I wish. When you guys find a bank that'll finance the startup costs for a farming operation, you be sure to let me know. Unless you're living in an entirely different midwest than I am, land prices soaring as high as $20,000+ an acre, quarter million dollar combines, and other overhead costs totaling in the millions make farming a pretty exclusive profession. The days of starting from scratch are over for the vast majority of people.

dan v

Post by dan v » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:09 am

Chukar12 wrote:Sheldon Twer comes from Ca...but I didn't pay attention to whether or not he qualified a 2013 dog
an extra day or twos drive is a small price to pay

The fuel and an extra day or two on the road is just a rounding error when you total up the costs.

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 am

I never said those guys had it easy. I said they have it made! And what i was trying to say is that their fathers were great field trial trainers /handlers and with that they have a much better chance at becoming one also. I would have loved that chance but my dad was a roofer.

Im not taking anything away from them, they are still great.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:53 am

ezzy333 wrote:
AZ Brittany Guy wrote:

No doubt a tough job and I realize the needs for the technoligy. I have no complaint about anyone who is good enough and savy enough to make a lot of money. Now, sorry Neil, I will quit messing with the topic.

Vision

Post by Vision » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:10 am

Have you ever talked to a Farmer? They are all poor, broke, and inches away from loosing everything all the time.

Allin13

Post by Allin13 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:53 am

Oh yeah they are all broke if you ask them. Its funny you go by the coffee shop and the trucks are running so they dont gum up.lol

mask

Post by mask » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:33 am

I was one of those evil cattlemen and farmers. I am retired, not rich though. If you don't mind 20 hour days in the snow in winter and heat in summer by all means be a cowboy and or farmer. You will need a wife that does'nt mind working for wages outside the home (to make ends meet) and then help out when she gets home as well. That in its self is no mean feat and I went through two wives and several girlfriends along the way. It may not be quite as easy as it seems. So for those who have never tried farming or ranching, well, don't talk with your mouth full. :D

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:59 am

mask wrote:I was one of those evil cattlemen and farmers. I am retired, not rich though. If you don't mind 20 hour days in the snow in winter and heat in summer by all means be a cowboy and or farmer. You will need a wife that does'nt mind working for wages outside the home (to make ends meet) and then help out when she gets home as well. That in its self is no mean feat and I went through two wives and several girlfriends along the way. It may not be quite as easy as it seems. So for those who have never tried farming or ranching, well, don't talk with your mouth full. :D

Yes.... ^^

Jim

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:28 pm

I have yet to see any farmers lights on at 3 am when i am on my way to work ,i will see them out late during harvest but never early and that includes Saturdays and Sundays, and all the farmers i know have another full time job or business.So how do these farmers have time to farm and work another full time job? some people may buy into anyone's bs but i prefer to use logic and what i see with my own eyes.I am not saying farmers do not work for there money or that they are rich but most are far from poor and have a good life, i have a friend who went over his cost's with me one night and while the costs are high what he makes divided into the hours he works is a good wage and he has another full time job too plus he gets more days off a year than i do (but i am an overtime "beep").

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:40 pm

I find it interesting that we have more 2nd generation doctors/lawyer as owners than trainers. We only have a couple of 3rd generation. We do have some first generation doctors that have sons that are trainers.

To narrow the thread, I honestly believe if you are young and put in the effort you can be the owner/handler of the National Champion! As long as your current societal position, size, athletisim, intelligence. Social skill, strength are average, the opportunity is there.

Like most I was not willing to make the great sacrifices required, thus those that have and will earn my full respect.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:43 pm

Vision wrote:

Have you ever talked to a Farmer? They are all poor, broke, and inches away from loosing everything all the time.
Yes, I talked to about 7 of them yesterday and I will be talking to about 5 of them at 3 oclock today, everyone of them will be driving a $35K+ trucks that has been purchased in the last 6 months and everyone of their trucks will have their work schedule printed on the side of it. :D