Another Pigeon Loft Question

bawloffire

Another Pigeon Loft Question

Post by bawloffire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:36 pm

I have a 8' wide x 10' long gambrel style garden shed with about 4' knee walls that I want to convert/divide into two pigeon lofts. I have a couple of questions.

1) Should I divide it front to back and have (2) 4' wide x 10' long lofts or should I divide it side to side and have (2) 8' wide by 5' long lofts?

2) Should I put it up on stilts and put a heavy duty wire floor in or should I leave the wooden floor in it?

Thanks for any help and feedback.

bawloffire

V-John

Re: Another Pigeon Loft Question

Post by V-John » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 pm

Are you wanting to race out of it, or just have as a pigeon loft?

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:13 pm

bawloffire wrote:I have a 8' wide x 10' long gambrel style garden shed with about 4' knee walls that I want to convert/divide into two pigeon lofts. I have a couple of questions.

1) Should I divide it front to back and have (2) 4' wide x 10' long lofts or should I divide it side to side and have (2) 8' wide by 5' long lofts?

2) Should I put it up on stilts and put a heavy duty wire floor in or should I leave the wooden floor in it?

Thanks for any help and feedback.

bawloffire
Front to back..... one loft 4'x10' for flyers and one 4'x6' for breeders. That leaves 4'x4' for storage (feed, nest bowls, meds, etc.) at the front if my math is correct. V-John might have a better set-up if you want to race. My birds are for training.

cr

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:40 pm

I'd divide it 5 and 3 lengthwise then split the 5 X 10 side into (2) 5 X 5's and leave a 3' wide X 10' long aisle in the back. That leaves you inside access to get to both sides and room for storage. I'd also consider putting skids underneath that you can hook onto and move it around plus I would put wire floor on the bird side and leave the wood for the aisle.

bawloffire

Post by bawloffire » Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:20 pm

I guess I should have mentioned this in my original post. I am not interested in racing. I only intend to use it for training. Thanks!

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:43 am

bawloffire wrote:I guess I should have mentioned this in my original post. I am not interested in racing. I only intend to use it for training. Thanks!
Don't let that deter you from buying racing pigeons for your loft. My expierence is they are well worth a few extra bucks and mine have paid for themselves by outrunning falcons.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:02 am

If he was going to race out of it, I would probably divide it a bit differently, but Kevin and Terry both posted good ideas.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:58 am

I can tell you, having one space is annoying. I have nests on the floor, and some in my poor nest boxes. mixed in with birds I want to fly, some that need trap training.

I have a mix of ferals, fancey homers and just added racers hopefully by june/july i'll who is going to do the best.