Submissive behavior???

jwnissen

Submissive behavior???

Post by jwnissen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:25 pm

Kind of an odd question but I thought I would ask a question that I have been thinking about for a while.My shorthair is 15 months old and ever since I have had her, she has had a thing for putting her butt up against me or standing between my legs. When we are playing or I am standing around, she will just walk right next to me and touch her butt to my leg with her head point away from me. She also likes to squeeze between my legs and stands there. She likes to do that to everyone and almost knocks over people who don't know what she is about to do. I have been told that this is submissive behavior. Ever happen to anyone else? Does it mean anything in body language? Thanks

Tyler S

Re: Submissive behavior???

Post by Tyler S » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:07 pm

jwnissen wrote: Does it mean anything in body language?
Sounds to me like she loves her master....my youngest female is like that with me until its time to hunt. Although she doesn't get to lovey with other folks. How does she do in the field?

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:14 pm

She is all business in the field. Being my first bird dog, it's fascinates me to see her switch from pet to hunter.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:32 pm

I don't think it's anything to worry about :D funny how dogs have personalities like humans. The big male in my avatar was voted worst personality in the breed....and that was up against some pretty stiff competition :lol:

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Tyler S wrote:
jwnissen wrote: Does it mean anything in body language?
Sounds to me like she loves her master....my youngest female is like that with me until its time to hunt. Although she doesn't get to lovey with other folks. How does she do in the field?
+1. I have one the same way. He is just very affectionate and loves people. Nothing to worry about.

Charlie

Deuce

Submissive behavior???

Post by Deuce » Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:40 pm

My oldest GSP is that way. She is very aloof around other people and always at my side or trying to push between my legs at home.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:42 pm

another opinion you will find in literature on the subject: ( I'm too tired to debate to night. :) )

When a dog is constantly leaning on you, putting his paw on you, or touching you in some way, this is not your dog loving you, it is your dog displaying dominant behaviors. In the dog world, space is respect. A dog that is constantly nudging you and leaning on you is not only disrespecting you, it is being the alpha dog. You are the one who must start and end touching and affection

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:52 pm

Sharon wrote:another opinion you will find in literature on the subject: ( I'm too tired to debate to night. :) )

When a dog is constantly leaning on you, putting his paw on you, or touching you in some way, this is not your dog loving you, it is your dog displaying dominant behaviors. In the dog world, space is respect. A dog that is constantly nudging you and leaning on you is not only disrespecting you, it is being the alpha dog. You are the one who must start and end touching and affection
No debate coming from me! :lol: very interesting. Even if your dog displays no aggression it can still be considered dominate behavior? Sharon if you get a chance could you post up a good link or website where I could read some on the subject.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:56 pm

Aggression is a whole different subject than dominant behaviour. Will do.

My little girl likes to put her paw on your knee when you are eating , and she isn't saying , " I love you so much and I hope you enjoy your dinner. " Needless to say I put her in a down across the room.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:38 pm

I can't debate it either because I have no way of knowing what goes on inside a dog's head, so you could be right Sharon. I have my own opinion on it but that is all it is. I do believe that making contact with the paws is different and like you, I don't allow that. I do know though that my dog in question is and always has been people oriented and I question a lot of these studies but I welcome hearing and reading other thoughts on some of these topics. I think it is also possible for a particular behavior to mean one thing for one dog and something different for another dog or maybe in some cases it means nothing at all....Just a thought because I certainly have no proof.

Charlie

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:54 am

I have nothing definite or proven to add about the way the O.P.'s dog behaves but I have had a couple of dogs that behaved in that way. I did not think they they were trying to show dominance. I thought they were either trying to make contact with me as a sign of affection or, possibly as a sign of "possession."

Bill T.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:28 am

Trekmoor wrote:I have nothing definite or proven to add about the way the O.P.'s dog behaves but I have had a couple of dogs that behaved in that way. I did not think they they were trying to show dominance. I thought they were either trying to make contact with me as a sign of affection or, possibly as a sign of "possession."

Bill T.
My thoughts also or possibly for feeling secure.

Charlie

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:21 am

I can guarantee this is not anything dominant or anything to worry about. It would be one of two things. First, it could be a really great bond between the two of you. The way a man and a woman may hold hands, when some dogs feel very deeply attached to you - you're their world - they'll want to be touching you at all times. Some dogs don't have the inclination to do this, but some dogs do. Moxy's like this. If I go ANYWHERE, she wants to be there and touching me. Watching TV, she's on the footrest, curled up between my feet. In bed, she's pressed up against my chest. In the pickup, she's leaned up against my side and even when you're in the bathroom, she climbs inside your pants and curls up. If this is the case you should feel flattered and honored. You're the center of your dog's world. The other option would be that she doesn't have much confidence and needs to know you're near, like someone who texts or calls their boyfriend or girlfriend every hour because they have to know what they're doing and when they'll see them again.

To determine which category your dog falls under, just watch her general attitude and in what context she sits on your foot and stands between your legs. If she seems confident enough and happy enough in general, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If she seems generally nervy and unsure of herself, you may have an insecure dog on your hands.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:24 am

People overanalyze. Sounds to me like she wants her butt scratched.

klewis

Post by klewis » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:46 am

stoneface read first post,its not abonding thing she doese this to everyone. just my thoughts.

quackerjack

Post by quackerjack » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 am

Trekmoor wrote:I have nothing definite or proven to add about the way the O.P.'s dog behaves but I have had a couple of dogs that behaved in that way. I did not think they they were trying to show dominance. I thought they were either trying to make contact with me as a sign of affection or, possibly as a sign of "possession."
Couldn't "possession" be considered a sign of dominance? e.g. The dog is displaying ownership of whomever she is touching instead of displaying "owned" behavior. She goes around "knocking" :lol: people over establishing her dominance of all present or possibly of all she feels are the "top dogs".

I think the only way to really be confident in the why is to study her behavior. Is it really everyone or specific people?
Stoneface wrote:To determine which category your dog falls under, just watch her general attitude and in what context she sits on your foot and stands between your legs. If she seems confident enough and happy enough in general, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If she seems generally nervy and unsure of herself, you may have an insecure dog on your hands.
Or maybe it is like what Stoneface is saying, does she feel insecure, possibly out of the field, and need that security of touch?

And maybe, just maybe, she really only wants her butt scratched.
Cajun Casey wrote:People over analyze. Sounds to me like she wants her butt scratched.
8)

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:23 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:People overanalyze. Sounds to me like she wants her butt scratched.
Probably right :D there are over 100 signs that you have a dominate dog, on the websites I looked at. Every dog I have ever owned has displayed at least a dozen of the signs at one time or another. So I've come to the conclusion that me and most other folks has never owned a submissive dog....I wouldn't have it any other way. Owned!

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:39 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:People overanalyze. Sounds to me like she wants her butt scratched.
+1...and to an extent she's probably trained you to do it. My pup has done the exact same thing to me and my girlfriend. He's trained her to rub his head when he sits on her feet. He's trained me to scratch his ears when he puts his head in my lap when I'm on the couch. Not dominance, just a smart dog getting what she wants...a scratch.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:23 pm

I have found better results in responding to what the dog actually does, and shape the proper behavior. I will leave the pack animal mentality analysis to the psychologists.

I don't really care why a dog does or doesn't do something, just how to get the desired action. He can be dominate, submissive, transgendered with seperation issues, if he will hunt, find birds, and point, we are good.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Neil wrote:I have found better results in responding to what the dog actually does, and shape the proper behavior. I will leave the pack animal mentality analysis to the psychologists.

I don't really care why a dog does or doesn't do something, just how to get the desired action. He can be dominate, submissive, transgendered with seperation issues, if he will hunt, find birds, and point, we are good.
Right on, I was beginning to think I was the only one that didn't care in the least as long as the dog can be trained and hunts.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Me too. :D

Çharlie

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:14 pm

Hopefully that is what she is wanting. :D

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:15 pm

quackerjack wrote:
Couldn't "possession" be considered a sign of dominance? e.g. The dog is displaying ownership of whomever she is touching instead of displaying "owned" behavior. She goes around "knocking" :lol: people over establishing her dominance of all present or possibly of all she feels are the "top dogs".
I am glad someone else picked up on that also.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:26 pm

Run her DNA. Sounds like she might be part cat.

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:26 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Neil wrote:I have found better results in responding to what the dog actually does, and shape the proper behavior. I will leave the pack animal mentality analysis to the psychologists.

Right on, I was beginning to think I was the only one that didn't care in the least as long as the dog can be trained and hunts.

Ezzy
Good points both. My buddy's GSP is exactly the way the OP described with me, but only when we're in the house. She simply demands non stop attention! At first I thought it might be some sort of insecurity, but I now I believe that it is a form of dominant behavior. She absolutely must be the #1 animal in the house. If my buddy's old Yellow Lab (12yrs), who's hunting days are behind him, comes over to get some pets she will force herself between us so that I must pet her! One way I tease her is to shoulder her out of the way, get real close to Case (the Lab) and pet him up big while saying, "I don't love you any more. I only love Case now! I love Case so much!" Ohhhh, she does not like that! And the look in her eyes is like Shakespeare's "woman scorned"! heck hath no fury, eh?

When we go to the field the GSP's behavior turns 180 degrees. She is ALL business! Even when she does some amazing thing that you really want to praise her and love her up for, you're lucky to get in a couple of pets and she's off to hunt for more birds. Her drive in the field is incredible. I think what sealed the deal for me and her was when my buddy suffered a fall in Nov. 2011 that put him in the hospital for a while, then at home for an extended convalescence. Of course, pheasant hunting was out of the question for him, and slowly but surely Abigail (the GSP) started bouncing off the walls. She knew it was bird hunting time. My buddy's wife suggested that it might be a good idea if I could take Abby out, get her into some birds, and let her blow off some steam. I ran the idea by my buddy and he was all for it. So, twice a week I took her out, whacked some birds for her and got her some retrieves.

Seeing how well she performs in the field, I suppose I can "suffer" a few instances of having her "inside my shirt" when we're in the house.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:21 pm

A lot of dogs are like this when another dog is getting attention.

Charlie