Orvis Endorsed Dog Breeder

Bender

Post by Bender » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:42 pm

Does it mean something, or is it just an advertising gimmick?

Escopeton

Re: Orvis Endorsed Dog Breeder

Post by Escopeton » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:08 pm

For the most part, I want to see the dogs/trainer/hunting scenario. Give us more details.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:19 pm

Advertising.

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:20 pm

It is a purchased endorsement

Bender

Post by Bender » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:21 pm

This Saturday I get to visit the sire and two possible dams of my potential pup. The breeder seems knowledgeable and will have the professional trainer on-site to give me more direction, and show me how the dogs work.

The breeder is an Orvis Endorsed Dog Breeder. I just wondered if it was recognized as something of note or if anyone could apply and be Orvis Endorsed.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:39 pm

The kennel as to pass an inspection and some other criteria. It is quite expensive and mostly an advertising gimmick. It does get the kennel a lot of contacts and from a breeders vantage may be worth the money if they are breeding a lot of puppies. There may be some advantage to the buyer, possibly some sort of insurance, not sure about that. Not many kennels are Orvis indorsed. I only know of three or four in Mn. Cj

Luminary Setters

Post by Luminary Setters » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:44 pm

You have to jump through some hoops to get there. The last one is writing a check. Several kennel owners I know went that route, but later dropped the endorsement after a cost-benefit analysis.

The gut feeling you get when you visit the facility and meet the people responsible for its operation will mean and tell you more than an endorsement.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Bender wrote:This Saturday I get to visit the sire and two possible dams of my potential pup. The breeder seems knowledgeable and will have the professional trainer on-site to give me more direction, and show me how the dogs work.

The breeder is an Orvis Endorsed Dog Breeder. I just wondered if it was recognized as something of note or if anyone could apply and be Orvis Endorsed.

I believe the breeder should be able to show you how the dogs work without aid from the pro. If he's hasn't been there done that why is he breeding and selling?

Bender

Post by Bender » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:09 am

I was wondering the same thing... The closer it gets the more nervous I become. We'll see what happens when I visit. I know that the pro trainer on-site works there full-time, and the breeder is a hunter so he probably uses the dogs as well.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:47 am

Bender wrote:I was wondering the same thing... The closer it gets the more nervous I become. We'll see what happens when I visit. I know that the pro trainer on-site works there full-time, and the breeder is a hunter so he probably uses the dogs as well.
Be aware of the fact that a breeder who is Orvis endorsed is likely breeding a large number of puppies. Hired help is probably responsible for the socializing and care of the puppies. This can be good or bad but the puppies should be getting a lot of human contact in the whelping box and the parents should be social dogs, who are happy to see you.
The two Orvis endorsed kennels I know do an excellent job, but the breeder is the CEO and employees are responsible for the dogs.
Good Luck Cj

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:26 am

cjhills wrote:
Bender wrote:I was wondering the same thing... The closer it gets the more nervous I become. We'll see what happens when I visit. I know that the pro trainer on-site works there full-time, and the breeder is a hunter so he probably uses the dogs as well.
Be aware of the fact that a breeder who is Orvis endorsed is likely breeding a large number of puppies. Hired help is probably responsible for the socializing and care of the puppies. This can be good or bad but the puppies should be getting a lot of human contact in the whelping box and the parents should be social dogs, who are happy to see you.
The two Orvis endorsed kennels I know do an excellent job, but the breeder is the CEO and employees are responsible for the dogs.
Good Luck Cj
In order to pay the price for Orvis endorsement you need to sell a boatload of puppies.

hill

Post by hill » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 am

I spoke with a breeder about this a few years ago and his statements were similar to those above. If you have the money to get your kennels up to their specs and can afford the process of obtaining the endorsement, you can get it. His understanding of the program, which he looked into, was that it had very little to do with the quality of dogs being produced.

Soignie

Post by Soignie » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:12 am

I don't know of any "Orvis" kennels that have produced champion dogs, might not be important but it does seem to me that if they were the top of the line bloodlines/breeding programs that they would produce a few. Most likely the "Orvis" kennels are often affiliated with a hunt club/shooting preserve and sell their pups to clientele.

Bender

Post by Bender » Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:32 pm

So they are like the Wal-mart of kennels... Great...

I don't mind shopping at Wal-Mart if I'm knowledgeable on the product I'm going to buy; however, I don't know about labs (pointing or otherwise) and I never trust a Wal-Mart employee trying to sell me something... :?

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:14 am

I stay away from Orvis endorsed anything... Fly- fishing guides, hunting guides, lodges, shops, etc. the endorsment is usually bought for retail purposes. Around here most Guides/shop owners are Orvis endorsed because they can't maintain their client base on their own. G

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:34 am

I would not throw out a breeder because it was Orivis endorsed. Even though it is a bought endorsement of kind, The breeder may still have good dogs. However I suspect you will pay way more than similar or better breedings.

Back

Post by Back » Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:58 pm

At the end of the day, it's a gimmick... period!

I wouldn't kick out a kennel just because of the Orvis endorsement, but wouldn't buy from one just because of the endorsement.