manual launchers

big_fish

manual launchers

Post by big_fish » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:33 am

I ask earlier about scott launchers but I guess my question should have been any manual launcher. are they worth the money or should I save and try to buy a remote one? If I go with manuals I could probably get a few for the price of a remote but I know the down side would be having to be at the pull rope before the dog. are the manuals ok to use?

Big bloc

Re: manual launchers

Post by Big bloc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 am

I have the one with the manual pull. Unless you have a helper to pull the rope. The problem is the dog would go on point and I would even close to the pull cord. Timing is every thing. I think you would have more control with the remote. I am looking now how to convert mine

ranmcc

Post by ranmcc » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:12 am

I have had remote lauchers for 30 years. The old ez laucher. After 30 years I finally had to replace a
condenser in one, but other than that they have been solid. Remote launchers are well worth the money.
You need two. Get a good quality laucher not a cheap one. They will last a long time if you don't abuse them.

Two helps your dog steady up pretty quick. He will stand waiting on the second bird to be flipped up.
Great set up.

madmurph

Post by madmurph » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:19 am

I realize there is a huge price difference, but if you can afford it, you will be much happier with the remote launchers. They are much easier to use, no rope dragging, can be released from any distance, locate beeper, etc. Most important, they can eliminate mistakes in training by being able to launch the bird immediately in certain situations when timing is critical.

If the sole issue is cost, then you have no choice but manual launchers and they will definitely get the job done. If cost is not an issue, I can guarantee you will be more satisfied with the remote launchers.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:22 am

I actually have both types of launchers and the manual ones are OK for some things...BUT they all have one problem in common. They are too light and when you pull the release cord, the launcher will shift postition and sometimes flip over. I solved this by screwing them to a piece of 1/2 plywood and strapping some big bank sinkers I had lying around onto the plywood.

If money is too tight for remote launchers, you might try to make your own out of wood and hardware cloth. Paul Long described a manual bird releaser in his book that was basically a plywood rectangle with runners on it, like a sled. The bird sat in a harware cloth dome that covered a hold in the center of the plywood sled.

They also sell metal cages that you tip up with your foot.

The advantage to both these manual launchers is that even if the dog does dive into the thing after the bird, it wil not get clobbered in the face when the launcher trips.

RayG