leaving your shorthair out while at work

MN Bonasa

leaving your shorthair out while at work

Post by MN Bonasa » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:27 am

I was wondering if anyone just leaves their shorthair out of their crate and or kennel during the work day unsupervised. I am lucky that I can pretty much come home for lunch everyday since i only live a few miles from work. I tested her several times during my layoff for the last two months to see if she would do anything destructive but for the most part I think she just sleeps on the bed or watches squrriels through the backyard window. She is two years old now and for the most part doesn't show any traits for destruction. By leaving her out am I asking for trouble? She could be left out for up to 6 hours every morning until I get home for lunch. I have left her out for that duration to test her and she passed. The other reason I ask this, is because I have a really nice kennel in the garage that goes to a run outside but she just seems content to just stay inside the garage kennel and never go outside to the run. So, my thinking is why kennel her if you can trust the dog to be good during the day and not have to be confined all day during the work week. She has never had a accident in the house since she was a pup. Any insight would be great, Thanks.

Back

Re: leaving your shorthair out while at work

Post by Back » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:30 am

If you leave them out, something will eventually happen.

Mine to in the kennel outside during the day... In the house at night.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:44 am

I have three. Mom has the run of the house the other 2 get crated

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:10 pm

So long as you are considerate and make sure she hits the ladies' room before you go to work, I think it's quite sensible to leave her in the house when you go to work. Sounds like you've got a fine house dog,though it's reasonable to leave her chew toys. I've left quite a few trusted dogs in the house over many years. I've also had neighbors during that time that have had daytime or night time burglaries. I have not.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:55 pm

My avatar dog kimber sleeps on the couch all day and meets me at the door when I get home. Would sure as heck not do that until about 6 months ago.......

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:18 pm

I had the same concerns about my 7 mo old britt as the OP. Guiding in the summer keeps me away, and my wife is 9-5.

Ultra Carry...How old is Kimber, when could you trust her fully alone? What is a reasonable age you can expect to trust a well trained/good house dog alone in a house for 6-8 hours? I feel eventually my Britt will be fine... I just cant predict when.

Red

Post by Red » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:33 pm

I leave my 2 year old out all day, started just a few months ago. Hasn't done anything bad at all.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:12 pm

Start off slow like an hour at a time, but you will know when you can start. Its obvious.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:58 pm

Well i dont know about everyone else,but if i left the two in my avatar loose in my house for an hour unattended,they would destroy a whole bunch of stuff,they are evil.If it is quiet when they are loose they are into something.They are destined for their crates for a loooong time.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:20 am

Evil... that's a good word for mine. She is 13 and will still rip stuff up if left alone for any length of time. You'd think she'd have learned restraint by now - nope. 3 of our dogs can be left in the house alone but not the pointer - she's still a dynamo. And evil.....

The Vizsla was good at 2 years old. Chessie pretty much from the beginning once she was housebroken.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:19 pm

I leave mine in the bathroom when at work but there have been a few times when I've left for work before my roommate and he failed to see briar tucked in the corner while getting ready and left the door open all day. He had run of the whole house but I'm pretty sure he just slept in his bed all day like he would've if the door was closed. Only difference was he surprised me at the door when I came home.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Having them politely greet you at the door is always nice... Sucks when there is a squirl in the back yard and they are excited and put paw prints on a suit....

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:44 pm

Having them politely greet you at the door is always nice... Sucks when there is a squirl in the back yard and they are excited and put paw prints on a suit....

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:50 pm

I have 2 that stay in the house all day. My wife is there about half the time. They both have beds in the pantry, but they mostly just lay around in the living room. They go out in the morning to do business and then out with me every afternoon for at least 2 hours during the work week. They are 2 and 4 years old. We haven't had any major issues since the youngest was around 6 months, and that was just a blind torn up because she wanted to see outside. Best of luck! She sounds like sweet girl!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:34 pm

Am I missing something or not. You have a very nice outside kennel and run that she is happy with so how do you think you can improve on that. End of problem before it is even a problem.

Ezzy

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Am I missing something or not. You have a very nice outside kennel and run that she is happy with so how do you think you can improve on that. End of problem before it is even a problem.

Ezzy
I didn't see that part. +1.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 pm

My EP is in the house all day alone... She's 3. Started leaving her out for the morning when she was about a 18 months... would go home at noon and let her outside... She's fine all day now. Goes out in the morning does her thing and then lays on the couch under a blanket with her paw on the remote... Can't say I approve of all of her tv viewing choices tho... :mrgreen:

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:05 am

ezzy333 wrote:Am I missing something or not. You have a very nice outside kennel and run that she is happy with so how do you think you can improve on that. End of problem before it is even a problem.Ezzy
After reading my post, I probably should have mentioned that we crate her at night. However I would love to let her be out at night and I really love my dog, but she is such a bed hog!! It's the shorthair arrogance i suppose where she can have all the room she needs. haha. SO, with that said I really didn't want to crate her all night, let her out while getting ready for work then right back into the kennel all day, albeit very nice accomadations for a pooch. I feel no guilt in spoiling my dog so I really want to trust her and leave her during the day to have the freedom and not so confined to what amounts to basically a cage. I also understand there's a risk involved but wanted to hear how other shorthair owners situations and how their shorthairs are during the day. It was kinda a breed specific ?.

Thanks for all the answers and insight.

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:55 am

MN Bonasa wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:Am I missing something or not. You have a very nice outside kennel and run that she is happy with so how do you think you can improve on that. End of problem before it is even a problem.Ezzy
After reading my post, I probably should have mentioned that we crate her at night. However I would love to let her be out at night and I really love my dog, but she is such a bed hog!! It's the shorthair arrogance i suppose where she can have all the room she needs. haha. SO, with that said I really didn't want to crate her all night, let her out while getting ready for work then right back into the kennel all day, albeit very nice accomadations for a pooch. I feel no guilt in spoiling my dog so I really want to trust her and leave her during the day to have the freedom and not so confined to what amounts to basically a cage. I also understand there's a risk involved but wanted to hear how other shorthair owners situations and how their shorthairs are during the day. It was kinda a breed specific ?.

Thanks for all the answers and insight.
When it comes to confining your dog in a cage, I'm not sure a dog is going to see the difference between being in the house and the kennel. One's just a larger cage with more stuff to potentially ruin. Personally, I'd think the dog would rather be in a run outside than in the house all day. That way it can choose to be inside it's house our outside in the weather.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:14 am

I left my shorthairs out after they were 2 with no problems I didn't have an outside run though if I had I would have probably used that when I was gone they loved being outside.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:58 am

MN Bonasa wrote: I'm not sure a dog is going to see the difference between being in the house and the kennel.
If you could see the gaze she gives me when I want her to go in there I think she knows the difference. :evil:

But this really has to do with the colder weather now and also I have checked in on her while in the kennel / run and every time I sneek up to see if she is using the outside kennel she is in the garage and even on nice days. Its really weird, maybe she's a wussy in that regard, but a absolute pheasant freak in the field where's its most important. Its amazing how the dogs know the difference between just a car ride and getting geared for hunting.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:00 pm

How does she get from the kennel to the run? Maybe she doesn't like the door or opening.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:46 pm

Dogs sleep most of there lives and just because she is comfortable being in where she can you are interupting that to mean she doen't like it when in fact she is probably saying this is really comfortable. You are making the case you are just being good to her but I don't quite get how she has one area where she can lay and sleep only or she has another where she can lay and sleep or go outside if she wants. And you decided it was nicer to not have that option. Seriously, I think you are trying to create a problem that doesn't exist. And yeah I know you are doing it thinking you are being kind to your pup. I sincerely am not sure she would agree with you.

Ezzy

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 pm

ezzy333 wrote:but I don't quite get how she has one area where she can lay and sleep only or she has another where she can lay and sleep or go outside if she wants
you can see in the photos attached the inside the garage kennel with doggie door to the backside of the garage. From there is attached the standard 5 x 10 kennel.

I will still use this kennel once the weather gets nicer in a month or so, we just got another 7 or 8 inces of snow and doesn't look like I will be sunbathing anytime soon.
Remember Minnesota gets a little colder than most states in the union, I have a hound heater in there that won't heat it enough and I also have a DOG DEN 2 I think that she wants nothing to do with. I should probably sell it, its like brand new, dogs never slept in it.

I don't have years of experience with gun dogs of all breeds, this is my first and I only know what I see in front of me, the original question was intended to put out feelers to see if people with shorthairs let there dogs free range at work. When I first started to research GSP's almost every book would tell you they can become destructive, now mine gets her excersise daily and has never been destructive other than young puppy stuff. I would think a dog would be happier not confined when at all possible, but then again what do I know this is only my first dog :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:09 pm

My pups all started in crates in my bedroom. Seems like somewhere between 1-2 years, we started letting them out for short periods, like when running to the post office or such...and then lengthen it out from there. During the summer, mine go out in a 10x10 kennel.

I don't leave my dogs unconfined to run the entire house. I know this will sound over the top, but with a background in fire services and EMS, I know what pets do at a fire scene. Even the friendliest animals may hide in the most unlikely places and run from the suited up firemen, making timely rescue impossible. My husband could tell you a story about chasing a small dog around a living room couch, in the darkness of night, in full gear. His department rescued 2 small dogs total that night. Confining them to one known room, preferably with a window, makes it easier and safer for all IMO...and they love their sleep number bed. :roll:

DogNewbie

Post by DogNewbie » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:17 pm

MN Bonasa wrote:
If you could see the gaze she gives me when I want her to go in there I think she knows the difference. :evil:

But this really has to do with the colder weather now and also I have checked in on her while in the kennel / run and every time I sneek up to see if she is using the outside kennel she is in the garage and even on nice days. Its really weird, maybe she's a wussy in that regard, but a absolute pheasant freak in the field where's its most important. Its amazing how the dogs know the difference between just a car ride and getting geared for hunting.
I'm betting that look has most to do with you leaving not with where the dog has to go. Looking at those pictures, I'm jealous of your set up. Much better than being inside imo. Maybe take the dens out of there and box the whole garage kennel and put a elevated bed in there. Make it one big den.

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:49 pm

DogNewbie wrote:I'm betting that look has most to do with you leaving not with where the dog has to go.
Im sure that has alot to do with it.
DogNewbie wrote:Maybe take the dens out of there and box the whole garage kennel and put a elevated bed in there. Make it one big den.
I already did take out the dog den, and its in the outside kennel now.

todays the initial day for her to be out and about, so should be interesting to see how she fared when i go home during the lunch hour.

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:25 pm

I have done that with my adult dogs for several years now with no problem, that is, let them have the run of the house during the day, or at least a specific room of the house. The problem with putting them in a run during the day where we live is what happens in Jan. or Feb. when it is -20F and the dog is part house dog, it lives in the house at night. And unless the kennel box is heated or very heavily insulated I would not keep a dog outside in MN any longer. I know many people do, not me.

Jrclmn18

Post by Jrclmn18 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:21 am

Mine has full run of the house 24/7. Crated for one year exactly then slowly allowed more access until proving he was good for it. My wife is home at random intervals throughout the day to let him out but he is fine when left all day. No problems unless I neglect him and his energy demands for a couple of days. Even then, his revenge is tearing up a paper towel and/or dragging out a pair of socks or something minor (usually something that should have been placed in the wash anyway). I think it was in Wolters' "Water Dog" that said an inside dog is a great way to teach family to put up their junk.