in your opinion, which breed for a beginner?

big swill

Re: in your opinion, which breed for a beginner?

Post by big swill » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:37 am

Went up to watch the trial in Spring City, TN this past weekend. Took the whole family. We had a fatastic time, met some great people, and got to see some of the breeds. Saw some GSP's and Vizslas do some field work. Got to see some setters, but didn't get to see one work. Met and spoke with so many folks who were just extremely nice and more helpful than I could have asked for. Met some great breeders as well. My 10 year old son still hasn't stopped talking about it. As far as what kind of dog we want, if anything it just got tougher. There are really so many fine breeds out there. But I'm not in a hurry. It was a great opportunity. I'd like to thank Jon Hartline for getting me there w/out getting me lost; your directions were spot on. If you've never met Jon, he's a great guy. Also, thanks to Hunter Payne of Gun Dog Development. Hunter you've got a beautiful place and I look forward to more conversations about training dogs. You are a gracious host.

hartlinejon

Post by hartlinejon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:22 am

Great to meet you and your family over the weekend Adam, glad you guys got to make it up! j

GWPtyler

Post by GWPtyler » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:44 am

You're in a dilly of a pickle, that's for sure. Lots of versatile breeds out there that will fit the bill. Shorthairs, wirehairs, setters, pointers...even Boykins! The list goes on and on.

I'd honestly make a list of all the dogs you're interested in, and write out pros and cons for each. Shedding, size, temperament, bidability, demeanor, etc.

Then look for solid breeders in close proximity (if that's important to you). That could cut down on a decision right there.

Given you're in Tennessee, with milder weather, a short-coated dog might serve you better than a long-coated dog. Living in North Dakota, having a rugged, all-weather dog was imperative, which was one reason I gravitated toward wirehairs. Then again, when it gets warm in the early season, he's shot a lot sooner than a similar shorthair or EP would be. But I hunt a lot harder later in the season than early, so his style fits my style.

Think about that sort of thing going forward. If you still have a couple breeds that are too close to call, go with simple aesthetics. Which ones look better. Color. Hair type. Maybe you really like the look of a dog with a black head and a ticked body: Boom. GSP.

Given your history of training, I doubt any will give you trouble. Look into the breeds, study their traits, and decide which traits are most important to you. That might help whittle it down a bit.

laker

Post by laker » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:25 am

GSP's in my experience are a great beginner breed.
Quick to mature, smart, easy to train and hard to mess up.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:58 pm

Sounds to me like you need a proper field-bred english cocker! :mrgreen:

big swill

Post by big swill » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:27 am

After a lot of consideration and research, talking to breeders and narrowing down what I wanted in a dog, I'm going with an English setter. I've been talking with Hunter Payne at Gun Dog Development for the past few weeks, starting to learn the ropes of bird dog training, as well as learning the setter lines, etc. My dog will be coming out of Hunter's kennel; I like what he's producing, his approach to breeding and the lines he's breeding from. Not to mention he's close to me location wise. Thanks to all who posted their advice.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:11 am

Fantastic! The ES is a stylish dog. We're gonna need pictures when the pup comes.