How do you secure your dog crate to your Truck/SUV

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:35 pm

How do you secure your dog crates in the back of your truck or rear of your SUV? How do you tie the crate(s) down so they will not move in case of an accident. I am not speaking of custom crates that are expensive. I am simply writing about off the shelf crates (plastic, aluminum or wire). I am putting two crates on top of a locked gun drawer and notice securing the boxes so they do not move is a problem. I would be interested in how you solved this problem if you had a similiar situation?
Thornapple

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:04 pm

Ratchet straps is what I use.

jwnissen

Re: How do you secure your dog crate to your Truck/SUV

Post by jwnissen » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:23 pm

ACooper wrote:Ratchet straps is what I use.
+1 I use 2 ratchet straps, one to suck it down to the bed and the other one to suck it into the cab.

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:09 pm

jwnissen wrote:
ACooper wrote:Ratchet straps is what I use.
+1 I use 2 ratchet straps, one to suck it down to the bed and the other one to suck it into the cab.
This is a lot like my buddy's system, but he uses 2 on the top and 1 across the front.

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:06 pm

ACooper, JWinessen, Buckeyebowamn,
Are you speaking of tie downs to the back of your pick up or an SUV? Pickups have locations in the bed for tie downs, but the SUV appears to be more problematic. What is your experience with this?
Thornapple

bmcox86

Post by bmcox86 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:38 pm

In my truck I secure the box by ratchet straps on both sides from front to back and it will not move. In my SUV I secure his box directly to the sides, there are a few tie down spots in my cargo space, can't go to tight though cause there plastic.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:00 pm

When we kept the dogs in the bed of the truck in crates (under a cap) we used a ratchet strap.

In my SUV, they fit so snugly I don't have to worry about them moving around.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 pm

Thornapple wrote:ACooper, JWnissen, Buckeyebowamn,
Are you speaking of tie downs to the back of your pick up or an SUV? Pickups have locations in the bed for tie downs, but the SUV appears to be more problematic. What is your experience with this?
Thornapple

Sorry, can't help you with the SUV. If the rear seat comes out you might be able to use the latch points as tie down points. Just look around and see what looks sturdy enough to take a ratchet strap, or if your lucky enough, it will fit in there nice and snug.

John

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:35 pm

On my drawers I put a locking pin on top and drilled holes in the plastic crates on four bottom corners with big washers inside the crate. It holds them down really good. Throw a kennel mat or blanket down and the pins are cushioned under.
If you wanted to you could screw down hangars on each side of your drawer system and connect the ratchet straps over the tops of the crates to each hangar. Just a thought.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:33 am

My SUV had tie down hooks in the rear. Also most SUVs made in the 2000s have "tether strap " rings behind the rear seats for car seat tether straps. Usually covered by a plastic snap down door.

D Bros.

Post by D Bros. » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:53 pm

jwnissen wrote:
Thornapple wrote:ACooper, JWnissen, Buckeyebowamn,
Thornapple

Sorry, can't help you with the SUV. If the rear seat comes out you might be able to use the latch points as tie down points. Just look around and see what looks sturdy enough to take a ratchet strap, or if your lucky enough, it will fit in there nice and snug.

John
That's exactly what I do. I drive a 2000 Ford Expedition, and the recessed latch down points in the floor are perfect for using a ratchet strap to hold the crate down.

nwnick

Post by nwnick » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:30 am

I drive a 04 F-350 with a canopy and my portable kennel is wrapped with a Mud river cover.
I drilled 2 holes in each bed rail side (the side that is folded over and faces the inside of the bed ) and mounted 4 3/8" eye bolts with fender washers and nylock nuts on the back side. I used the fender washers to give a little more support in case of an accident but I had to grind a flat edge on them so the whole washer fit into the back side of the rail.
To secure the kennel I simply run 4 cam lock style hold down straps from the eyebots to the hold down rings sewn into the Mud River cover and that puppy is really secure by the time I have all 4 tightened up.
The cam straps and eye bolts were purchased at the local Ace Hardware for about $20.00.
The whole project took maybe an hour and a half to complete
I also trimmed the straps down and melted the ends and when I pull the kennel out I simply latch them hook to hook and they stay in the bed of the truck always there when I need them and out of the way when I don't

Works really well for me

Good luck

Nick

Thornapple

Post by Thornapple » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:29 am

JwNissen and Mountaindog,
You are both right. Underneath my existing crates and rear cargo floor matts were the tie downs. I had not noticed them before.
Thanks, Thornapple

DJWorm

Post by DJWorm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:55 am

I have an Alumalene Kennel in the rear of my Chevy Tahoe. The Tahoe has tie down rings in the floor. The Alumalene kennel is much more sturdy and heavier than a plastic transport kennel. I have done 2 things to secure it:
1. I placed a carpet foam underlayment mat cut to size under the kennel. This prevents it from sliding and also cushions the vibrations and bumps somewhat.
2. I secured the rear of the kennel to the front most tie down rings with a bungie.

I also use a plastic kennel in the rear of my UTV. I just use 2 bungies criss crossed over the top to secure it from sliding side to side. It fits snuggly in the UTV box between the front of the box and the closed tailgate.