questions about rescue......

jimbo&rooster

questions about rescue......

Post by jimbo&rooster » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:59 am

My wife and I are considering a rescue in the next year or so, but after talking to a few people and looking over some rescue sites I'm curious if they will e in allow us to have one.

For those of you involved in foster/rescue what do you really look for when you do home inspections? I have dogs that are kenneled as well as house dogs ( the rescue would live in the house). But we have really no fenced in sections. We live on a 360 acre farm which is all continuous acreage. With some grain production livestock and CRP. However as I read through the requirements it seems like someone on a corner lot in the city with a 6ft security fence is more likely to get a rescue than I am!?

So before I set my mind to rescuing a dog (gsp) I'd like to know from people involved what you look for in a placement.

Thanks
Jim

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: questions about rescue......

Post by Cajun Casey » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:08 am

Very few all breed rescues will place with a home where there are intact dogs. Most will not place a dog in a primarily outside housing situation and a few will not place where adversive correction is used. It has been a while since I looked at them, but Ohio GSP might be one that would work with you. Try to get a local dog, not one that's been shipped across four states.

www.ohioshorthairrescue.org

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:23 am

Rescues are ma joke as far as placing dogs. It is a great idea but they have lost their direction and now feel their silly rules are more important than placing a dog. Whewn the rules for getting a rescue are so much more stringent than getting a puppy, the cost is as much as sometimes more, and you never own the dog but just rent it and it can be taken away from you at any time, they have just all become part of the problem rather than solving it. Last I checked I couldn't be considered because I said I would hunt the dog, did not have a 4 foot fenced yard, have an outdoor kennel, and several other dogs. But each person you talk to have their own set of rules so just because one won't let the dog go into a loving normal home the next one might.

I think you might have better luck just working with your local shelter, tell them what you are looking for and have them call if something fitting your wants comes in.

JMO
Ezzy

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:55 am

ezzy333 wrote: I think you might have better luck just working with your local shelter, tell them what you are looking for and have them call if something fitting your wants comes in.

JMO
Ezzy

I agree, also check the courtesy listings some rescues offer. They generally will put you in direct contact with the owner. We got a 1 y.o.spayed female (GSP)4 years ago. Strangely enough my vet found her for us after just putting the word out. She has turned out to be a wonderful dog. Good luck! Hope this helps!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:23 am

So much depends on the rescue coordinator in your state.

Here's what I'd suggest. Volunteer to foster. Most rescues are so desperate for foster homes, a nice outdoor run with shelter with someone knowledgeable is far more agreeable than dogs being in a shelter or euthanized. Then pick one of your foster dogs to adopt (if you're good enough for fostering, you're certainly good enough to adopt).

When I coordinated NJ, one of my most used foster homes was my Blaze's breeder. He had a kennel house that he heated with a kero heater to the state required minimum (55 or 60) with indoor/outdoor runs. He kept it clean, used most runs for his personal dogs, but kept a couple open for boarders & foster dogs, and was great at rehabing and finding homes for some of our toughest/saddest stories.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:31 am

I actually am involved in rescue and rather then throw up some blatant generalizations that people on here want to post, I will tell you how WE work.I cannot speak for other rescue organizations other then the ones I have been involved with.
I really like it when people think that they know everything about all rescues and generalize their "silly rules" and think that the placement process is a "joke".

If you want to hunt a rescue from us, go ahead. Now, we will take the dog and see if there is potential to hunt it. Do they show an interest in birds? If the dog shows potential, then by all means, go ahead. Dogs need jobs.
Fenced in yard? Not necessary. Helpful, but not necessary. If the dog primarily lives outside, then no. Other dogs? Intact? Doesn't matter that much to us. Home visits for me, just is a way to try and get to know the person a bit better and what sort of situation that the dog will be living in. With all the time and effort that goes into these dogs, we want to place the dog in a good situation. As far as "renting" I have no idea where that comes from. In our contracts, the important thing is that if the dog is given up by the adopting family, that the dog will come back to us, rather then given away to someone else, or dumped at the local shelter, or what-have you.

DougB

Post by DougB » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:34 am

Each rescue is independent, with its own rules. Some require a fence, some don't. Some require a dog door, some refuse it. Some forbid hunting a dog(even of field bred ), some have looked at a dogs front end and seen the nose and teeth. There is one in Wisconsin that is vegan. Some maintain an ownership right through their contract that lasts for the life of the dog. If they have a contract, read it before you sign it. A breed rescue, or a breeder that does rescue may be your best source. The one constant is that the primary concern is the dogs welfare. Your needs are a distant second. They saved the dog, they own the dog, they set their own rules.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 am

V-John sounds like y'all have a good program. My wife contacted a rescue when we were searching and talked to the person there. To make a long story short, that person told my wife we could fill out the application, but she doubted we would be approved(other dogs, possibility of hunting, no fenced yard, etc. etc)That will leave a sour taste in your mouth, especially when you know that you care for your dogs.

V-John

Post by V-John » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:19 am

Tyler S wrote:V-John sounds like y'all have a good program. My wife contacted a rescue when we were searching and talked to the person there. To make a long story short, that person told my wife we could fill out the application, but she doubted we would be approved(other dogs, possibility of hunting, no fenced yard, etc. etc)That will leave a sour taste in your mouth, especially when you know that you care for your dogs.
Tyler, I agree. Some of the different rescues have so many rules... I doubt that I would qualify for a dog in some of them and I foster dogs...
I just hate to see all of the rescues painted with a bad light (not saying you are, but others are) because of one bad incident with one particular organization.
But looking at it from the rescue's perspective... Many of the dogs are dumped because they are gunshy or aren't performing at a high enough level for the owner. So, as a rescue, after putting all the time, effort, cost, and other things that go into dogs, and putting them into a situation that they just came from is not something that the rescue wants to do.
Or a dog that lives outside with no interaction, and then all of a sudden the dog is surrendered because it is too energetic and doesn't listen. I'm sure you get the picture.
Every time I get a rescue, I try to gauge it's birdiness and prey drive. heck, we got an 9 or 10 year old bitch that we have video of her pointing a pigeon rather nicely. She also pointed a covey, and wasn't gunshy either. She almost went to a couple hunting homes. Just didn't work out.
God bless those that are willing to take on an 10 year old dog though. Not many folks want to adopt those dogs... And let me ask you this. How many shelters are even going to mess with those elderly dogs?

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:59 am

I can see the rescues POV. We were looking at another rescue when Daisy became available. There are a lot of great dogs out there and I commend anyone for giving them a second chance.

Jim, sorry for hijacking your thread. Good luck again for finding a good dog. A couple of pics of ours. We love her to death.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:05 pm

V-John,

I did paint with a broad brush and probably shouldn't have but it is a problem I have seen from several rescues and heard of a lot more. Glad you are involved because they need open minded people like you. I have taken many dogs over the years and either kept them or found homes for them with out all of the paper work but just as much effort. My concern was the dog plus the family getting them but I also know when that dog went home with someone it was their dog and I had no more claim to it that anyone else. Same when I sell a pup. You check what you can and hope you made a good decision but that is as far as it goes. I do know that most any home is better than no home. Yes we all know that occasionally that may not be right but 99% of the time it is. And so far I have not placed a dog that was not there for the rest of its life and was happy as far as I could see. And I know there were many happy kids and families that just couldn't afford to purchase a dog but provided great homes for each other.

Ezzy

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:04 pm

Jim,

When you're ready for a rescue - let me know. I foster for the local shelter, a private rescue, and a breed specific rescue. I am always looking for good homes for hunting dogs. I spend time evaluating the dog's interest in birds and if you're not looking for a boykin or a spinone or another relatively scarce breed, then I bet we could find something you'd like. We currently have a GSP male, 18 months old that was with an owner that did not do correct gun breaking. The dog will hunt, but gets stressed with the gun - time and birds will likely cure that!

I see both sides of the deal with rescues, I too, would likely not be able to qualify with some rescues because we do kennel dogs outside, though we don't have intact dogs. Rescues are in it for the love of the dog....absolutely. I do think some dogs are better off being put down than going to just any home. However, I do think some rescues are too stringent in thier requirements. I hate that they don't accept good homes (or can't recognize them) because of a differing philosophy - like the no hunting deal. But I do see the result of many, many hunters who give good dog owners a bad name by abandoning/abusing/starving thier birddogs.

Just don't give up if you want a rescue - you can find one.

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:37 am

RoostersMom wrote:Jim,

When you're ready for a rescue - let me know. I foster for the local shelter, a private rescue, and a breed specific rescue. I am always looking for good homes for hunting dogs. I spend time evaluating the dog's interest in birds and if you're not looking for a boykin or a spinone or another relatively scarce breed, then I bet we could find something you'd like. We currently have a GSP male, 18 months old that was with an owner that did not do correct gun breaking. The dog will hunt, but gets stressed with the gun - time and birds will likely cure that!

I see both sides of the deal with rescues, I too, would likely not be able to qualify with some rescues because we do kennel dogs outside, though we don't have intact dogs. Rescues are in it for the love of the dog....absolutely. I do think some dogs are better off being put down than going to just any home. However, I do think some rescues are too stringent in thier requirements. I hate that they don't accept good homes (or can't recognize them) because of a differing philosophy - like the no hunting deal. But I do see the result of many, many hunters who give good dog owners a bad name by abandoning/abusing/starving thier birddogs.

Just don't give up if you want a rescue - you can find one.

Sent you a PM

V-John

Post by V-John » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:22 pm

ezzy333 wrote:V-John,

I did paint with a broad brush and probably shouldn't have but it is a problem I have seen from several rescues and heard of a lot more. Glad you are involved because they need open minded people like you. I have taken many dogs over the years and either kept them or found homes for them with out all of the paper work but just as much effort. My concern was the dog plus the family getting them but I also know when that dog went home with someone it was their dog and I had no more claim to it that anyone else. Same when I sell a pup. You check what you can and hope you made a good decision but that is as far as it goes. I do know that most any home is better than no home. Yes we all know that occasionally that may not be right but 99% of the time it is. And so far I have not placed a dog that was not there for the rest of its life and was happy as far as I could see. And I know there were many happy kids and families that just couldn't afford to purchase a dog but provided great homes for each other.

Ezzy
I agree with much of this. I really do. You talk to folks and try and hope that it's the best place for the dog. All you can do.

But here's the deal with rescues and a lot of the gundog boards. People want to adopt a rescue for whatever reason, get turned down for one reason or another, and then get on the boards and bash them. That's what is irritating to me. Yes, it is rather offensive when someone tells you that they don't think that you can care for a dog....
BUt the reality is that the rescues went through the time and effort to become licensed and the requirements that they are subjected to, gone through the time and effort to vet the dog, transport the dog, housebreak the dog, socialize the dog, and whatever else they have to do... So, they should have say where the dog goes. Yes, I think that many rescues are a bit ridiculous in their beliefs. I also think that they many good homes are eliminated as a result of these beliefs... But I also think that many bad homes are eliminated too. I don't know, it's a double edged sword, really. I like to think optomistically that they serve a good purpose, regardless of the bad things that are said about them as a whole. I guess just like anything else, someone has a bad experience with a group and they think that all groups are like that. Each one is different with different rules.
heck, we got in a 12 year old not to long ago and were able to place it. That to me, is a great thing.
So, yeah, I guess I get oversensitive and butt hurt about general comments on rescue on boards.

fourtrax

Post by fourtrax » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:08 pm

Its been 5 years & we are stil waiting for the Home Inspection" / visit from ABR.
The stinkers turned us down because we are a hunting household, period.
We have two rescues that hunt great & I will be "bleep" if I will ever waste my time again with
ABR. My experience is that they are more interested in disqualifying households than placing dogs.

Tyler S

Post by Tyler S » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:37 pm

I for one have a much better perspective on rescues just from a couple of post on this thread. I had a bad experience with a rescue and didn't have the opportunity to follow up with a second. I can see where it would irritate yall with some of the remarks. I personally dont think we could foster a dog, our hearts are a lot bigger than our house :wink: Thanks to all who donate their time and resources for the good ones.

frosso

Post by frosso » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:44 pm

I appreciate what the rescue folks are trying to do but I had bad experiences with a couple of rescue organizations. I was trying to find an older dog to keep my elderly dad company since putting down my 13 year old lab. My dad lives with me and the old lab was his best buddy after my mom passed away. I have a big fenced in yard, a active dad home 24/7, and me there to take care of everyone. Called several rescues and they took forever to get back with me and then said someone would visit the home.....never happened. Then I contacted a lab rescue in Northern VA about a female lab and filled out their huge application, gave references and my vet's number. They turned me down because my female setter was intact. No if ands or buts. I even had a medical reason verified by my vet as to why the setter wasn't fixed.

Then I found a rescue group in NC that sounds like the rescue folks commenting on this thread. They were more interested in placing dogs than feeling morally superior. I picked up a beautiful seven year old chocolate lab who had been used by a puppy mill "breeder" and tossed in a shelter when she developed mammory tumors. The rescue folks had her fixed and her tumors removed. I drove down to NC with my setter, the two dogs met and got along, I filled out the paper work, stroked them a check and headed home with her. She was very shy and a little scared but after a year of luxury at the dog spa (my house) she has turned into a real sweety pie. She even plays tug with the crazy setter. I think you just have to find a rescue with real dog people.

rinker

Post by rinker » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:28 pm

Why would it matter if a potential home has an intact dog, if the rescue dog is not intact?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:53 am

rinker wrote:Why would it matter if a potential home has an intact dog, if the rescue dog is not intact?
This is another one of my concerns with rescuing a dog. I have 3 intact bird dogs that I have no intention of altering, I cant for the life of me figure out why a dog that is required to be altered wouldn't be placed due to these dogs.

Jim

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:21 pm

I believe it's the same mentality that alot of Vets have. They consider altering a dog to be a part of responsible ownership. Nome of the groups that I work with have that stipulation but that is what they have told me. I surely can't prove that though so if anyone else has other info that would be great to hear.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:29 pm

jimbo&rooster wrote:
rinker wrote:Why would it matter if a potential home has an intact dog, if the rescue dog is not intact?
This is another one of my concerns with rescuing a dog. I have 3 intact bird dogs that I have no intention of altering, I cant for the life of me figure out why a dog that is required to be altered wouldn't be placed due to these dogs.

Jim
Shelters hear about intact dogs being owned, and immediately think the owner is open to the idea of breeding more pups. With millions of unwanted dogs around , this make the shelter very nervous about that owner.

•Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats). Shelter intakes are about evenly divided between those animals relinquished by owners and those picked up by animal control. These are national estimates; the percentage of euthanasia may vary from state to state.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:41 pm

Volunteer at a shelter for a month - work the euthanasia room. I bet it will change, forever, how you view breeding dogs. It's disheartening to watch the shelter put down an entire litter 5 minutes after they come in the door because there is no more room and no more foster homes - cute adoptable pups. Worse than that are the older dogs that families just dump at the shelter for whatever lame reason they have. Worse yet are the almost year old pointers that "run off in the field" and the breeder you call (since you have the papers turned in with the dogs) won't take them back because "I have a new litter and don't have time for them." No wonder rescues and shelters are picky!

Responsible breeders are not the problem, it's the other 98% of the dog owning population out there. The rescues I work with are supportive of responsible breeders. I know that the majority of the adopters that come to the shelter or rescue are not professional/responsible breeders.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:50 pm

Sharon wrote:
jimbo&rooster wrote:

Jim
Shelters hear about intact dogs being owned, and immediately think the owner is open to the idea of breeding more pups. With millions of unwanted dogs around , this make the shelter very nervous about that owner.

•Approximately 5 million to 7 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year, and approximately 3 million to 4 million are euthanized (60 percent of dogs and 70 percent of cats). Shelter intakes are about evenly divided between those animals relinquished by owners and those picked up by animal control. These are national estimates; the percentage of euthanasia may vary from state to state.
Did you see the cocumentory that they showed last year and many stories were written about the fact that they do not have enough puppies and dogs in much of the country to take care of their needs so they are importing dogs as well as moving some from one part of the country to others areas trying to get enough to fulfill the requests for dogs. Animal rights were trying to stop it from being published and shown. If I remember right they were bringing dogs in from Brazil and Europe and many were going to the New York area.

Ezzy

frosso

Post by frosso » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:17 pm

The really stupid part about that Northern VA rescue is I had no intention of breeding my setter. The vet wanted her to go through one heat because of an inverted vulva. I wrote that on the application and I tried to explain but their policy was absolutely no rescue goes to a house with an intact dog. Now that's a case of stupid you just can't cure.

As usual it's always the 1% that gives everyone a bad name. The 1% rescues that have stupid policies and the 1% bird dog owners that cast out non-performers and the 1% pet owners that don't fix their pets.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:34 pm

I'm part of that 1% that doesn't fix there pets since I never had one that was broken.

Ezzy

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:24 pm

Most unwantrd dogs are_______________.

The problem started when Animal Control became Animal Welfare.