Watery eyes keep coming back

isonychia

Watery eyes keep coming back

Post by isonychia » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:41 pm

For about 9 months now, my brittany has had watery eyes. I have taken him to the vet twice, having tear production tests, corneal stains, and visual checks for ingrown lashes. So far, no drainage testing has been done. I have gone through 3 different types of eye drops, all antibacterial. These drops work while I am using them, but 2-3 days after using the drops, his eyes get watery again. Anyone have any ideas?

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Watery eyes keep coming back

Post by shags » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:05 pm

My setter has had the same issue for all of his almost eleven years. No apparent reason for it, with all kinds of tests and exams. Because it seems worse at certain times of the year, I chalk it up to allergies or sensitivity to pollen or something. Although it's somewhat unsightly, it has never seemed to bother him.

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:21 pm

Here is a photo I took of his upper eyelid. Those white bumps look like overextended hair follicles from the eyelashes on the exterior of the lid. Any thoughts? Comforting to know I am not the only one shags.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

smittty

Post by smittty » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:50 pm

i would bet its cuased by some type of plant or pollan.. I was hunting a new spot with my setter shortly after the hunt he started bumping into thing' s when i looked at him his eye's were in the back of his head somewheres he stoped walk and was tolaly blind i took him to the vet and the vet said it was cuased by some type of plant or pollan thatdid not agree with him and that he should be fine i think it lasted about five days or so ..What im getting at it may be something in your yard

SCT

Post by SCT » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:14 pm

I believe the white bumps are oil glands and are normal. Can't help you otherwise.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:21 am

Is the white of the eye irritated? I had a JR that suffered from this and she required minor surgery to open the tear ducts. From that point on I used a wash with boric acid and goldenseal and she was fine.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:43 pm

just started my britt on some sort of eye drop, her one eye is aways watering the vet said it was some sort of infection hope this works

isonychia

Post by isonychia » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:22 am

ibbowhunting wrote:just started my britt on some sort of eye drop, her one eye is aways watering the vet said it was some sort of infection hope this works
If it works while using the drops, but then comes back, you will be in my boat. If it works, then you might have to tell me what eye drop it is. Just one eye or both?

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:52 am

Im having the same issues, I am on my second bout of this... Watering Eyes, i have a friend that is a Medical Vet Rep, and he gave me some save i put on the eye, and two different eye drops. This helps and work very fast, but its back again, red and irritated. i read a lot online about it. I have two dogs, and chalked it up to maybe they were playing and scratched it, also thought it might be a seed or weed that he came in contact while training. Anyway its on its way to recovery again, but sounds like others are having repeats also... Anyway thats what i have done. I also have a Setter...

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:58 pm

isonychia wrote:
ibbowhunting wrote:just started my britt on some sort of eye drop, her one eye is aways watering the vet said it was some sort of infection hope this works
If it works while using the drops, but then comes back, you will be in my boat. If it works, then you might have to tell me what eye drop it is. Just one eye or both?
just one eye, the vet gave me Neo-Polycin

Vman

Post by Vman » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:58 am

Give the dog some live cultured yogurt everyday and see if it doesn`t go away. You can also mix with canned pumpkin, even better.
The best thing is www.fido-vite.com

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:51 pm

I'm not a vet (nor do I play one on TV) but have you considered antihistamines like benedryl (or it's generic equivalent).

Our #1 GSP has red watery eyes at certain times of the year & we found that giving him benedryl stops the problem.

FWIW,

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Thu May 09, 2013 9:50 pm

I know this is an old thread, but maybe it'll help some others.

We have a dog that just had the same symptoms, and took him to an eye vet. Diagnosis was "meibomianitis" - inflammation/infection of the meibomian glands. Apparently they are the little glands (look like the hair follicles in the picture above) that secrete oil that combines with tears to protect the dogs eyes. Sometimes they get infected...with all the crap these dogs get in their eyes, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. Our dog had green goop at the corner of one eye for a couple days, then it spread to the other when we took him in.

Topical antibiotic salve in each eye, and oral antibiotic seems to be helping immensely. Dog was pretty miserable ..