Volhard Puppy Apptitude Test

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Volhard Puppy Apptitude Test

Post by ACooper » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:30 pm

This test has been mentioned a few times in another topic, wanted to add a copy of it for people to take a look at.

Obviously RayG uses it, anyone else? Did it help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TraditionsGSPs2010

Re: Volhard Puppy Apptitude Test

Post by TraditionsGSPs2010 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:08 pm

I gave it a try. At the end, it more or less verified what I thought I already knew about the pups. The thing that I thought made it a crapshoot is how much the pups changed everyday. How is a snapshot in time going to indicate what a pup will be like 2-3 years down the road? I also feel like their are some nuture variables that could greatly affect the outcome. In the litters I have had, I have seen the most submissive turn dominant and vise versa durning the 5-10th weeks so I think timing could play a role (and yes I know they call out the 49th day). I personally believe that dogs have good and bad days just like people so how do you account for that?

Would I do it again....sure. It was just another fun day with the pups. Was it an accurate indicator of what pup will turn into... I have no idea.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:10 am

How old is the puppy suppose to be when you test them? Is there a specific age range? This is the first time I have ever heard/seen one of these.

Thanks

jczv

Post by jczv » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:11 am

I've seen pretty accurate results from experienced people doing the test (they had evaluated a lot of litters). And been accurate for the dogs at the extremes for those litters. I think it's a good idea especially for inexperienced breeders and new dog owners with kids. It's good in that it puts a little bit of structure around what can be a completely subjective evaluation.

Edit: the volhard site says perform the test at 49 days - http://www.volhard.com/pages/pat.php

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:25 am

My experience is similar to Traditions. Seems like a "snap shot" during their development. I do however use the "Super Dog - BIO Senser" method and believe it works.

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:56 am

Is someone going to get a new pup??? :lol:

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:00 am

My best results have been on pups 7 - 8 weeks old who have been separated from their mother for at least a week but have remained together as a litter.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 pm

I know what the test is and how it is performed. As a buyer what does the test tell me that the breeder, who has watched the puppies for eight weeks, can't?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:28 pm

Jagerdawg wrote:I know what the test is and how it is performed. As a buyer what does the test tell me that the breeder, who has watched the puppies for eight weeks, can't?
It's a breeder tool, not a buyer tool.

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:00 pm

I'm sorry I worded my question wrong. What does this test tell the breeder that 8 weeks of interaction and observation doesn't? As a breeder do you feel you learn something from the test you otherwise wouldn't know?

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:08 pm

I've used it on five litters and it can provide a confirmation of what is observed over 7 weeks. It is recommended to conduct the test at 7 weeks. If nothing else, it can be a tool to show rather than tell a buyer what you've observed. I've been fortunate through nearly 50 puppies I've never had one at one of the scale or the other.

Jay

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Thank you that was pretty much what I figured.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:58 pm

Have used it and have tested litters for others. As for my litter, I can't say I learned anything more than I had already seen. I do believe it does give you an idea if a certain pup were not a good personality match for a prospective home or the other way around.

With pointing breed pups that I have tested, I've had many that will point the rag on a string rather than chase it. And many pups that won't retrieve in the test have turned out to be great retrievers.

bruns333

Post by bruns333 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:33 am

I used this test on my last litter and it pretty much confirmed what I already knew. I like the test and will do it in the future. It is just another tool, and tools are good! I do think the snapshot part makes it less reliable, but you could do it more than once and see what changes.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:42 am

I have known some breeders that don't have a clue of what they have watched in a litter for 8 weeks. If your a smart and informed breeder then the test can confirm what you may already know about your pups. Test should be done by a total stranger to the pups. I use a seperate test sheet for each pup. I have used this test on many litters I have tested for breeders and my own litters too done by a neutral party. If done correctly you can tell a lot about a litter. Hopefully they all score in the middle of the road. Not to independent and not to shy.