Getting started in competition

ScottE

Post by ScottE » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:37 pm

I have a four month old Brittany and am interested in competition(not right away of course). I don't know anything about it or even what types of competition are out there. It sounds like a fun thing to do with my dog though. What types of competition would a Brittany be good at? Where can I find some information?

big_fish

Re: Getting started in competition

Post by big_fish » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:32 am

try looking up NSTRA and NAVHDA to start. I could be wrong because I'm as new as you(my britt is 14 weeks) but I think most field trials are on horseback maybe some one with more knowledge can set us straight.

Echo Hill Kennel

Post by Echo Hill Kennel » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:12 am

If you are looking for walking trials a few are NAVHDA, NSTRA and AKC Hunt Test

NAVHDA and AKC have test that younger pups can run in and then work your way up to more advance test. Look for a NAVHDA Chapter in your area or attend a AKC Hunt Test to find what it is all about. NAVHDA Chapters usually have training days also to help you prepare for the testing.
Enjoy the pup!

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:42 am

Echo Hill Kennel wrote:If you are looking for walking trials a few are NAVHDA, NSTRA and AKC Hunt Test
To be accurate NSTRA is a walking trial. AKC hunt tests and Navhda are both tests, there is a significant difference.

AKC and AF. Also have walking trials also.

I do agree though, you should look up your local Navhda chapter to take advantage of training days.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:45 am

Depending on where you live in VA there are a number of different opportunities to compete with a dog.

One of the first things I would do is contact area Brittany clubs. You can seach for them in several ways but going to the AKC website may be the fastest. You can also search the AKC events page for field trials and hunt tests in your area.

It would be a great idea for you to go and see an AKC field trial, an AKC hunt test, a Navhda test and a NSTRA trial. This way you will see what you will be getting yourself into :D :D
and help you decide what direction you want to go in.

There are a number of events in VA, NC, MD, DE and PA in the spring, some going on right now and in the next few weeks. Bird dog events tend to to go with the weather. As it heats up...the events tend to stop.

RayG

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:26 pm

NAVHDA, AKC, and UKC hunt tests are great places to start with. These test a dog's abilities.

NSTRA, AKC, AFTCA, NBDCA, NBHA, NAGDA, to just name a few that are out there is where the competitive atmospheres are at . To find more information do a Google search of the clubs and associations.
Check them all out is my advice. You may over look one and it might have been the best one for you.

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:16 am

I've run in NAVHDA tests, NSTRA trials, and AKC hunt tests. They all are judged a little differently. I'd agree, you should go check out an event, hopefully close, to get the idea of what each look for. A friend ran an AKC HT the other week with his 8 month old and she passed with flying colors. The JH test just judges the dogs have drive, a little obedience and can hold a point for a few seconds (which is all up for interpretation). Good luck to you!! My boy is almost 4 and I'm still learning what's all out there.