Delmar Smith book.

GsPJustin

Delmar Smith book.

Post by GsPJustin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:11 am

Well, it took me a whole 3 weeks to finish it, but WHAT A READ.

Not only was it informative and filled with knowledge, it really put images in your head. Now if some of that 30,000 acers he had access to was more of a reality. LOL

Anyway thanks to all who suggested it.

Anything that really stuck out in your mind, that i should go back and re read if i missed?

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:49 am

The whole book.

I bought mine 30 years ago and still go back and look at it from time to time. Lots of pros were using Delmar's techniques, or techniques like them. Smith was one of the first to put some really intelligent dog training rules and strategies in writing.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:41 pm

Wagonmaster wrote:Smith was one of the first to put some really intelligent dog training rules and strategies in writing.
That was actually Tarrant, right? :wink:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:22 pm

Tarrant was the writer, Smith was the trainer (and still is).

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:44 pm

Yeah, that's what I meant. Tongue-in-cheek, Tarrant was the one that "put some really intelligent dog training rules and strategies in writing," albeit they were Smith's rules and strategies. Just ribbin' ya. :lol:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:06 pm

Why?
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:11 pm

ezzy333 wrote:Why?
Simple grammatical mistake. See, the way John phrased it, one would think that Smith was the author.

Guess it wasn't that funny. :oops:
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:40 pm

Just cause ezzy and I weren't following you, well, that is cause we are a couple of old guys and not so fast a wit as you. :P

Hey ayres, you can rib me any time.

Casper

Post by Casper » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:10 pm

I may be wrong but didnt Delmar employ Bill Tarrant to write his book?

TrueBlu Shorthairs

Post by TrueBlu Shorthairs » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:01 am

I love the book and the videos. My family had several pointers and brits from Mr. Smith back in early 70s and they were just fine animals. I don't know if Mr. Smith does any seminars at his age, but I have had the opportunity to attend 5 or 6 of them and he is great. Not a public speaker, but his Okie/Cherokee humor is priceless. I'm sure the boys do a great job in Big Cabin and S. Texas, but man is the original awesome!!

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:59 pm

Rick Smith does the seminars now. He has one going on at LCSupply warehouse in Pennsylvania? In early May next year.

Trapper

Post by Trapper » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:05 am

Definitely my favorite training book.
PointFlushRetrieve.com - Personal Gun Dog Blog- Are You Ready? Is your gun dog ready

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:04 am

I love the book, I do not train with many of Delmars methods, and think some are somewhat outdated, but some will never be outdated. The main part I love is the happy timing portion, and as far as the general understanding of a birddog, it's hard to beat...
brenda

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:01 pm

I am the same way. New techniques have come along to do practically all of the yardwork that is described in the book. But the philosophy is the real deal.

Richard *UT*

Post by Richard *UT* » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:02 pm

Snips, Is there a method that you would recomend. The method your own most closley recembles?
Words that soak into your ears are whispered...not yelled
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=1618

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:28 pm

Richard, I don't know what my training methods resemble, as I don't read much or watch any videos. My bad I guess. My main mentor was a local guy named George Clements, he trained for horse-back trials, and is now deseased. I watched him train and did lots of obedience competition, so I just combined the two. Timing is timing, whether you show dogs in obedience or train birddogs, if you can pick it up in one arena it is easier to transfer it to whatever you do. I have learned from lots of people, including my partner Rick. We are constantly discussing ideas or problem dogs.
brenda

Casper

Post by Casper » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:07 pm

snips wrote:My main mentor was a local guy
I think most anyone that is just getting involved would benifit most from a mentor. Be it who ever it may be.

Mine moved :cry: but he is still only a phone call away.

FWIW

Larry Garner

Post by Larry Garner » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:39 am

I went by and visited Delmar this morning and he was happy to hear about this message thread.
He is 81 now and still active and in great health. He is still the most interesting man I have ever talked to about dogs, horses,and life in general.
Delmar said if anyone wants a autographed copy of his book or his tapes now in DVD to check out his website www.huntsmith.com
Larry Garner

Wagonmaster
GDF Junkie

Post by Wagonmaster » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:42 am

Larry, tell him he has alot of fans not just on this site, but all over the pointing dog world.

We thank him.

GsPJustin

Post by GsPJustin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:04 pm

Larry,

Please tell him I said thank you much for what you do. I really enjoyed the book, and stay healthy.

Justin

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:38 pm

Delmar autographed my copy in 1977 at one of his seminars. To me the book has stood the test of time, yes the methods are somewhat outdated, but the principles he employed for training are priceless. I still refer to the "Manual" whenever I encounter a problem, if it worked then it will probably work today.

Coveyrise64

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:34 am

One of my favorite books to read. Sure there may be better/newer/easier ways to do it due to improvement in technology.

However if I could have a dream hunt with any of the trainers from his time or the present. Delmar would be the one I would love to spend a day with. Not sure if Bill Tarrant was that great of a writer or if Delmar was such a great subject to write about, but I really like the book.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:59 am

Bill seemed to be a pretty good dog man himself. He came by here once to do an article for Field & Stream and all I could do when we went to lunch was ask questions about Delmar. He had some pretty colorful stories to tell of their travels. One was when they went to Eng to do a interview with the Queen. (or something, not real sure what they were doing) but he said Delmar brought one set of clothes. He said he had to take them to the laundry while Delmar waited back at the room. :P Who knows, they showed the character that the book described tho. Mr Tarrant would follow me around the field while I worked dogs and would suddenly just fall over. I'd drop the CC and run over there, he'd just laugh and say "darn hips, they just don't work right sometimes". He'd get up and go on.
brenda