Quick questions on ticks.

jcbuttry8

Quick questions on ticks.

Post by jcbuttry8 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:06 pm

So, found two ticks on Bama late Tuesday night. She must have picked them up at the trial last weekend. I have had no issues here at the house and neither have any of the neighbors. I wasn't real happy that she had them for the amount of money I spend on all this tick repellant.

Anyway, to the question. In the two spots that she had the ticks, she now has swollen knots. One not so big, you cannot see it but you can feel it. The other you can see the knot sticking out of her head. I have had my other dogs get ticks but have never had one knot up like this. Anything to be concerned with? She seems fine and doesn't seem to be moving around any different or showing signs of any pain. Is it to early to tell if she has lymes?

As always thanks for any help.

Joe

Red

Re: Quick questions on ticks.

Post by Red » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:19 pm

Should take about a week for those bumps to go away.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:06 pm

If they were Deer Ticks you would have never even seen them. Probably a Brown or American Dog Tick. Were the ticks shiny with a white spot?

The bumps are from pulling them. The chance of a dog actually getting Lyme is less than 5% of bites from infected ticks. Lyme is a walk in the park compared to the other tick borne infections.

Have you tried Advantix?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:30 pm

The lumps are normal. A flat red bullseye mark around the bite can indicate Lyme's infection.

jcbuttry8

Post by jcbuttry8 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:31 am

They were swollen by the time I saw them. They pretty much matched her color with no white spots. I checked the spots well. I didn't see any bullseye just a big know.

Hopefully, they'll be gone in a week. Just in time to pick up a few more at the next trial. I am switching back to advantix this month.

Joe