english springer spaniel/german shorthaired pointer mix?

jegan

english springer spaniel/german shorthaired pointer mix?

Post by jegan » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 am

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience with English springer spaniel/German shorthaired pointer mixes? Are they easy to train? What is their temperament? Are they good hunting dogs? I do waterfowl, upland, and possibly some tracking. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: english springer spaniel/german shorthaired pointer mix?

Post by DonF » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:31 am

You got a pointer flusher mix. Won't be able to tell what you have until it grows up. Probably cute pups and good looking mom and dad but, I'd walk away in a heart beat.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:44 am

I have one. She is a old dog now. But is a very good pheasant hunting dog. Her father was a young springer. her mother was a very good bird dog . they didn't think the male was old enough. He was.
She only pointed one bird in her life. It was a rooster. She hunted like springer and was very easy to train. As I got more into pointing dogs she kind of got left out. For a pheasant or rough grouse dog I would take one again. Several pups in her litter were pointers and she probably would have if train that way. I trained her to sit on whistle and hunted her with my master dogs. Very good CJ

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:03 pm

DonF wrote:You got a pointer flusher mix. Won't be able to tell what you have until it grows up. Probably cute pups and good looking mom and dad but, I'd walk away in a heart beat.
X2

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:52 pm

It's a mutt................I hope you didn't pay much.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:31 pm

I know a guy with one. She is a flusher. But does well hunting pheasants. Released ones. He said he shot 32 birds over her this year.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Since this is a pointing dog/flushing dog mix, this might be one of those cases where you should use a wing on a string. It might give you an indication on what the dog will do when it gets older. This might take a couple weeks of doing this to figure out what it will do. If all the pup does for 2 weeks is chase the wing--it will most likely be a flusher when it gets older(and you should train for a flusher). If the pup starts to creep the wing, move it slowly back towards him---if he stops and points there is a good chance he might point when he gets older. Once you get an idea what he is going to do, stop useing the wing on the string if he is showing signs of being a pointer(and go with a pointing training program). (IMO) By the way, I have seen some good mixed breed hunting dogs :D If you don't have a wing, a small piece of cloth tied to the string will work---it is more about the movement than the feathers.

Meller

Post by Meller » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:00 am

I noticed in your profile, that you own a GSP and a Vizsla and that you hunt; so I will bet that you will be able to tell what you have in a short while, a pointer or a flusher. Just have fun and enjoy your new puppy. :)

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:01 pm

This is interesting. My very first bird dog was a Springer. On occasion I'd just take him out for "walks" in the environment where we'd be hunting come fall. Just after I got him, I'm thinking at 14-15 weeks old, we're walking through an overgrown apple grove when I notice him locked up in a classic point on a tangle of greenbrier. I'm serious! Body all stretched out, head and nose held low, right forepaw picked up off the ground and right foreleg tucked into the body! Wish I had a picture! Stupid me, wondering what the dog was up to, took about 3 steps toward the tangle to see what was up, and one of the biggest pheasant roosters I've ever seen came boiling up out of that tangle and got snagged up in the briers!

At the flush, the Springer's flushing instincts took over, and he was into that tangle like a shot! If I didn't care about being pin cushioned by the briers I could have caught that rooster with my bare hands. I was more concerned about the dog, since he got all snagged up in there as well, and came out looking like he'd been through a war! But, his tail was going about 90 miles an hour, and he came out of there excited as heck! Well, at least I knew that I had a dog that was birdy. But, in hindsight, I sometimes wonder if I "trained" him differently, and believe me, at that young age I was doing precious little training, if that dog would have pointed birds.

I'll admit that I'm intrigued here. Any possibility of your posting some pics of this dog? I'd be interested in just seeing what a Springer/GSP mix looks like.

jegan

Post by jegan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:58 am

Thank you everyone for your replies and opinions. I saw an ad for this mix and thought I would ask to see what people thought. I definitely will not be getting one. Thanks everyone.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:50 pm

Maybe we have the makings of a new breed of dog, English short/longhaired ...sometimes Pointer. :)

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:01 pm

Doc E wrote:It's a mutt................I hope you didn't pay much.

Nothing wrong with a mutt some of the best all around dogs are mutts. Most dogs point occasionally, the pause before the pounce, but pointing springers are discourage as much as springing pointers. Cj
Last edited by cjhills on Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:42 pm

cjhills wrote:
Doc E wrote:It's a mutt................I hope you didn't pay much.

Nothing wrong with a mutt some of the best all around dogs are mutts. Most dogs point occasionally, the pause before the point, but pointing springers are discourage as much as springing pointers. Cj
Great point! No pun intended. Some of the smartest, most savvy, dogs I've ever seen in my life were "mutts". As far as why certain traits are prized in some breeds while denigrated in others, isn't that simply human preference? Or should we say prejudice? I just got done reading a capsule summary of the German Shorthair Pointer. Nobody really knows how many different dog genes went into producing that breed. Should we then consider them mutts?

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:54 pm

Sometimes a Mutt will turn out to be a dandy bird dog. My dad still has a Samoyed/Golden mix that turned out to be a great hunting dog. Awesome retriever, top notch coon dog, and an amazing tracker. Had a superb nose and a great instinct... Always pinning game, using us and and the wind to his advantage. We actually watched him jump on the back of a forkhorn buck after we jumped it from some brush, and strangle the thing to death...the buck was unlucky as the dog pinned him in a swamp. We also watched that dog take out three big raccoons in water... horrific site, but what a tough dog! Mutts can be great...

Trekmoor
GDF Junkie

Post by Trekmoor » Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:11 am

I have only seen two GSP x springer dogs at work . They worked well but both dogs were flushers.

Bill T.