Retriever Folks

Saddle

Retriever Folks

Post by Saddle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:46 am

I need some info about retriever trials hunt tests and whatnot. My buddy has a really nicely bred 2 year old black lab male that he wants to put some titles on but doesn't know how to go about doing it. Im not a retriever guy so I have no clue. I know that my buddy's dog is an impressive specimen. He does double and triple blinds with ease and I've seen him go out a quarter mile on some wounded snows. The dog is a nice dog. He's been hunted extensively and has had a ton of training. Just wanting some ideas for him as to where to get started.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Re: Retriever Folks

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:04 am

Look for nearby Clubs, and find some local guidance.

http://www.huntingretrieverclub.org/

http://www.akc.org/clubs/search/index.c ... display=on

Also read through the requirements for tests and levels and don't be afraid to jump in to AKC JH or HRC started level with a little for-knowledge of what is allowed and not. The jump to SH is a big jump for most hunting dogs and novice handlers. You'd want to go to some training days and learn more probably before jumping right in on that level.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 am

Where is your buddy located ?

Jagerdawg

Post by Jagerdawg » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:07 am

I don't know about other venues but you can go on the AKC website and download the retriever trial and hunt test rules.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:11 am

Where y'all located? Regardless, clubs are easy to find, where you find them is where you'll also find training groups, which is what your friend's needing from the git-go.

He'll want to start out with hunt tests because field trials is the big leagues (or should I say big league singular, because there's only one sanctioned retriever field trial, by AKC) and takes years to train up a dog for. And a lot of that actually is training up the trainer - who would be your friend in this case - for running them.

Retriever hunt tests offer a welcoming atmosphere and camaraderie and come highly recommended. Of course, same holds true for field trials, but that goes without saying.

MG

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:15 am

There is an AKC Retriever Hunt Test, JH and MH, this coming weekend southeast of Tulsa a few minutes. PM me if you want more info.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:42 am

We're in SE KS. What are the age split ups for retriever trials. I think Kobe is 2. In the pointing dog world he's a derby!

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:50 am

Six months and up to run. Hunt tests and trials are totally different games.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:56 am

Break down a JH SH and MH.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:04 am

Saddle wrote:We're in SE KS. What are the age split ups for retriever trials. I think Kobe is 2. In the pointing dog world he's a derby!
Yes, two is the age limit for derbies, it is strictly a marking test.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:09 am

Someone break down a typical hunt test and a typical trial for me. This way I can tell him kind of what to get ready for.

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:19 am

Saddle wrote:Someone break down a typical hunt test and a typical trial for me. This way I can tell him kind of what to get ready for.
The absolute best way to find out is go to YouTube and search for them, there are hundreds of examples of them.
Last edited by nikegundog on Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:30 am

A junior hunt test is about as straightforward as it gets, four single marked retrieves, two water marks and two on land, delivery to hand required and distance of the marks often the same as used in senior and master hunt tests, just the dog picking up one bird at a time rather than having to pick up two (SH) or three (or even four - MH and all field trials but derby. But don't think for a second derby is another word for "that's where the beginners run untrained dogs" - many find it the toughest field trial stake to train for).

In any event, "describing" a retriever field trial is like trying to tell you how to do Chinese arithmetic if you don't speak or add in Chinese.

Need to see it for yourself - because unless you know what to look for, or have somebody experienced at your side explaining it to you, you'll have an extremely trying time in figuring out what's going on and why retriever trials are so d*mned difficult. Start by asking about the gunners 450 yards out in the field wearing white coats. Now you see them, now you don't - what's that all about? That's called "retired guns." And why's the live bird shot first of the four birds (the other three thrown dead) that the dog will have to retrieve? That's called an out-of-order flyer and it puts intense pressure on the dogs to take their eyes off it once it's been shot and mark the other birds go down before it's sent for one of them and not sent first for the flyer.

Again, you're better advised to go out and see for yourself, and ask a ton of questions, whether a field trial or a hunt test.

MG

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Click Here for a map (and links to) of HRC clubs in your area :
paw1233@aol.com

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:38 am

I didn't see it mentioned but entryexpress.com is a good place for information about trials and hunt tests that are Retrieving. This is the place that you are supposed to sign up for these events most of the time anyway. It makes it very simple for the people running the test, IMO.

duckn66

Post by duckn66 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:24 am

Your best bet is to download the info on HT from AKC. Also I would definately go watch a few tests to get an idea of what to train for instead of interpreting on here what someone is trying to explain. Field trials are an entirely different animal.

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:34 pm

Here's a retriever training forum that will have some contacts and lots of suggestions.

http://www.retrievertraining.net