I am having trouble deciding which breed???

jegan

I am having trouble deciding which breed???

Post by jegan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:37 am

Having just settled into our own house, we are finally ready to get a dog. I have been researching for more than two years on which breed I would like to get. I pursue, waterfowl, upland, and fur. I want a dog that is going to be fine with the cold water of waterfowl, be able to go straight to the field for pheasant, grouse, woodcock, and dove, and also be able to track a wounded deer if possible. I live in Southern Ontario. It doesnt get as cold as the northern areas. I am only an hour from Detroit. However, it can get quite cold occasionally. The dog would also be a very large part of our family. We have two young children and many young nieces and nephews. There have been so many times that I am convinced of the breed that I am going to get. However, I find out a little bit more information about another breed and I become very interested in the other. I would like to get your experienced opinions. For the longest time, I wanted a pointing breed. I know the most about training a pointer and appreciate the style in which they hunt. As a result of this, I wanted a Vizsla. However, further research indicated that a good hunting blood line of Vizsla can be difficult to find due to their rarity. They also may not due well in the cold/water due to their lean body and short hair. Further research also indicated that they can be very rambunctious indoors and sometimes difficult to train since they do not mature until they are around two years old. However, they do have a great personality and their size is very nice. My next option which I was convinced of for the longest time was a German Shorthaired Pointer. They have proven to be truly versatile in all areas. However, again,further research indicated that they may not due well in the cold/water due to their lean body and short hair. Also, further research indicated that again, they can be very rambunctious indoors. Another possible downside (though not a major issue at all) is that they shed alot. My wife does not want a dog that sheds alot. She is okay with some just not hair all over the place. However, I love their look (though not really important), their true versatility, their easiness to train, and their availability. My next breed was an English Springer Spaniel. A friend of mine has one and swears by her. Research has indicated that they may do well in the water because of their longer hair. They are also great retrievers. They also do extremely well in the field. I do not know very much about flusher training. However, I could learn. Though I do love the pointer style, I have thought that a flusher may be a better fit for me based on the ESS characteristics. I am unsure though how these dogs do at tracking. Research has also indicated that they can be quite rambunctious indoors. I do like their size and easiness to train though. However, I have read and heard that shedding is a nightmare with them. My next breed was a Brittany. Research has indicated that they may do well in the cold/water. However, their thin hair may not be thick enough to withstand the elements. I do love their versatility, size, and personality. I have read that they can again be quite rambunctious indoors though. I am unsure how they would do at tracking. I do like that they can be easy to train. My last option and probably the one which I feel the strongest about right now is the Small Munsterlander. I love their true versatility. They seem like they can do it all. They do well in the cold/water and will retrieve in the water. They do well in the field. They are a pointing breed. They will track. I do love their size and look as well. Research has indicated that they do very well with being calm indoors and can "turn it on" in the field when it is time to hunt. They can also be easy to train. The downside with this breed is their availability. In light of all of this, I float back and forth between different breeds. I am a very active individual so exercise is not an issue with a dog. I also have a large fenced yard with a huge park and creek across the street so that is not an issue either. I have briefly considered a few other breeds but quickly dismissed them for various qualities. I have considered a Weimaraner. However, all research has indicated that they are very headstrong. I have considered a lab (chocolate). However, they shed alot and may not do well in the field or tracking. I have considered a Boykin Spaniel. However, research has indicated that they are not truly versatile. Anyway, I may be wrong in some of the areas which I have listed. I would appreciate all of your experienced opinions. I am also open to any suggestions that you may have. Thanks for your help!

AlbertaChessie

Re: I am having trouble deciding which breed???

Post by AlbertaChessie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:52 pm

I dont hunt 'fur', but just out of curiosity why have you determined labs wouldnt be good at all of the above? Pretty tough to beat a good lab!

jegan

Post by jegan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:54 pm

The biggest negative against a lab is the amount of shedding that comes with them. Other than that, I would be very happy with a chocolate lab. Thanks

AlbertaChessie

Post by AlbertaChessie » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:04 pm

oye, dont know if youre going to find anything that doesnt shed per say. If thats your only obstacle i would say go with a lab.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:16 pm

I can only speak on my personall experience, but i got a GSP pup last year and couldnt be happier. I personally get/got to hunt with my brothers lab, and my dads brit, and i would get another GSP in a heartbeat. To your point on being hyper in house, i think you will find that almost any dog you go with will be this way unless excercised. My pup, at a year old now will jump up and almost reach the fins on the ceiling fan when he gets excited to go to the park (especially when i take to long to get the shoes on). But once he runs he is the best house dog there is. And as far as shedding, he does shed, but not over the top. Far less than my brothers lab.

You said you were an active person so i dont think you will need to worry about the running crazy as im sure you will be out with them. Good luck with the decision, they are hard! Had to do it myself last year. Keep us posted on what you decide to go with.

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:31 pm

There may be some wire-haired models which suit your needs. German Wire-haired Pointer, DD, Wire-haired Pointing Griffon, Wire-haired Vizsla... Another dog to research is the Braque Du Bourbonnais.

jegan

Post by jegan » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks for all of your help. I have had several people recommend the wire haired pointing griffon. Are there any WPG owners that can share their experience? thanks

deke

Post by deke » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:05 pm

For cold weather stuff I would take a lab, Upland Gsp, and tracking musterlander. With any hunting dog you get you are going to see some high energy levels, that is the way they are bred. If i was you i would fallow Kmacks advice and start looking for a wirehaired breed.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:16 pm

If you brush or use a furminator about every third day outside(about 15 or 20 min), it will cut out ALOT of the hair left in the house by any breed :D If you are looking for a fur dog, you might want to look around at a NAVHDA club--they are more into their dogs being a hunt everything type of dog. Seems like the wirehaired breeds are more into that sort of thing---Good luck with your quest for your new dog :!: :!:

PS if the fur you're looking at getting is skunk---any sporting breed will get them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Qwernt

Post by Qwernt » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:24 pm

Versatile dog forums is a good spot for people who do both fur and feather. Lots of DD WPG GWP etc owners happy to tell you their breed is the best (of course we all know it is the EB) :D

hpvizslas

Post by hpvizslas » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:28 pm

Skimming through your post, I would lean towards a wire-haired vizsla. They should do everything you wasn't to.

Gordon Guy

Post by Gordon Guy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:41 pm

How about an English Cocker or a Springer? Game little dogs in my opinion. I had a Field Bred English Cocker that would flush grouse, pheasants and woodcock, bark a couple of times when he jumped a rabbit and would break ice to fetch mallards, and weighed 35lbs which means a lot less hair. Those Springers can be a lot of dog for folks and from my experience the Cockers are easier to manage

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:46 pm

How about a pudelpointer?

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:57 pm

GWP, Lab, PudelPointer

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:19 pm

Once you get a lab you will not regret it,
Isaac and Banks

ScottE

Post by ScottE » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:30 pm

In regard to your concerns about dogs being good in the house. Don't forget every dog is an individual and breed descriptions are generalizations. I would talk with breeders your interested in for more info.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:54 pm

jegan wrote:The biggest negative against a lab is the amount of shedding that comes with them. Other than that, I would be very happy with a chocolate lab. Thanks
You lost me right there.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:51 am

ScottE wrote:In regard to your concerns about dogs being good in the house. Don't forget every dog is an individual and breed descriptions are generalizations. I would talk with breeders your interested in for more info.
Agreed. Our laziest house dog is an EP, since she was 6 months old, all she wants is to lay on the couch.