Can you help point me in the direction of a breed?

labmom23

Can you help point me in the direction of a breed?

Post by labmom23 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Okay,I LOVE my labs but I am wanting to "expand" my search and find a different dog breed(labs are still okay). AS of now my dad and I only want to do pheasent hunting,maybe quail or something later on. This is my "wants" right now. Most of them point to lab but maybe a different breed also :-)

- Can do a daily brushing but nothing outrageous(sp?) so can do long hair but nothing like a poodle.
-Will be "okay" with beginner mistakes
-has an off switch while in the house
-can handle kids
-handle 2 handlers(me and my dad)
-Kind of common that I can find in no where,Illinois :P
-Pretty easy to train
-can do 3 hours exercise daily.

Any breed ideas? Anything else I should be looking for? It will be at-least 2 years before a pup comes but I am slowly learning :-)

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Can you help point me in the direction of a breed?

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:16 pm

field setter. Mine meet all your criteria. :)

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:26 pm

Sounds like you need to get yourself a spaniel! :mrgreen:

SubMariner

Post by SubMariner » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:41 pm

labmom23 wrote:Okay,I LOVE my labs but I am wanting to "expand" my search and find a different dog breed(labs are still okay). AS of now my dad and I only want to do pheasent hunting,maybe quail or something later on. This is my "wants" right now. Most of them point to lab but maybe a different breed also :-)

- Can do a daily brushing but nothing outrageous(sp?) so can do long hair but nothing like a poodle.
-Will be "okay" with beginner mistakes
-has an off switch while in the house
-can handle kids
-handle 2 handlers(me and my dad)
-Kind of common that I can find in no where,Illinois :P
-Pretty easy to train
-can do 3 hours exercise daily.

Any breed ideas? Anything else I should be looking for? It will be at-least 2 years before a pup comes but I am slowly learning :-)
EVERYONE will give you a different opinion as to which is the best breed.

Basically, what you describe is pretty much any pointing/gun dog. However, I have to advise you that NONE of these high-energy dogs come with "an off switch while in the house": that is something you will need to TRAIN into your dog, not matter what the breed. So please add "will train in obedience" to your list. 8)

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:34 pm

My experience is that setters, even bred from trial lines, are pretty mellow in the house, hunt any bird well once the learn the ropes, and the shed can be managed with a daily brushing or a pair of clippers. Most of them are smart enough to adapt well to two handlers, fit into a family, and mine love kids.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:50 pm

SubMariner wrote:
EVERYONE will give you a different opinion as to which is the best breed.

Basically, what you describe is pretty much any pointing/gun dog. However, I have to advise you that NONE of these high-energy dogs come with "an off switch while in the house": that is something you will need to TRAIN into your dog, not matter what the breed. So please add "will train in obedience" to your list. 8)
Exactly what I thought...

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:15 pm

Shhh....don't tell anyone, but our pointers are excellent with kids and great in the house. Of course our Vizsla is as well - but you said easy to find a good one. Pointers are much easier to find a "good one" in your area.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:38 pm

GSP

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Britt, Setter, GSP. Of those 3 a britt might be the easiest in the house due to its smaller size. But as mentioned above, pretty much any of the pointing breeds would work. IMO, the lines/breeding is more important than the breed.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:45 am

Aslowhiteguy wrote:Britt, Setter, GSP. Of those 3 a britt might be the easiest in the house due to its smaller size. But as mentioned above, pretty much any of the pointing breeds would work. IMO, the lines/breeding is more important than the breed.
Bingo!!!! :D

Charlie

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:11 am

We had labs and then switched to GSPs. We have 3, did have 4, and they are also house dogs. You should check out NAVHDA, go to navhda.org and look for a chapter by you. You can to a training day and see many different breeds and talk to the owners.
We have had our GSP at Pheasant Fest a few times and people always committed on how clam he was, the ones they had or knew were hyper. I think it is from the breeding not the breed and what you let them get by with. That is why I think getting to see different breeds work and talk to the owners can be helpful. Everyone loves their breed :D

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:11 pm

Stay with Labs.

RAWACRES

Post by RAWACRES » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:55 pm

I once had springer's but they passed but were great with my son. so after a while i got the dog itch again and did some research for a pointer and decided on on english setter. My concern was with my grand-daughter how that would work out.Well let me tell ya the dog sleeps by her at night and watch's over her. As for a bird dog she has surpassed my expectations But like every one else say's look for what you are looking for in the dog you want not what everybody suggest you to get. Best of luck in the breed you pick.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:02 pm

Aslowhiteguy wrote:Britt, Setter, GSP. Of those 3 a britt might be the easiest in the house due to its smaller size. But as mentioned above, pretty much any of the pointing breeds would work. IMO, the lines/breeding is more important than the breed.
My EPs are smaller than most Britts...

bmcox86

Post by bmcox86 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:07 pm

A setter seems to meet all your needs listed. Mines great in the house and with kids. Handled all my newbie mistakes too. Hunting by 6 months

Aslowhiteguy

Post by Aslowhiteguy » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:29 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
Ya but they are still EP's. :P :D

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:34 pm

Aslowhiteguy wrote:
displaced_texan wrote:
Ya but they are still EP's. :P :D
I know, that's the best part! :lol: :mrgreen:

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:08 am

If you want a bombproof dog that you can't screw up and that will be wonderful in the house, I recommend a 2-3 year old pointer or E. Setter that ain't cuttin' it as a horseback dog due to lack of "range".

Most of these dogs are well out of the puppy stages and having lived in kenels all their lives will positively blossom when placed in a family environment where they get to play and interact with people on a daily basis.

The kennel dog I have seen taken indoors were generally wonderful about not messing in the house and they seem to understand that outside is for running and inside is for getting petted and loved. . Older dogs do in fact tend to have "off switches" in the house.

It is almost as if they understand that they just hit the lottery and don't want to do anything to mess that up.

Pointers have short hair which tends to stick in fabric while setters have longer hair which is easier to vacuum up.

Most broke pointes really do not care who is taking them hunting. They are going hunting and that is what counts. Some setters might be a little less willing to work for different folks, but in the end both breeds will do what it takes to wrap their gums around a bird.

If you do need to put the dog in an outside kennel on occasion or board them out, pointers tend to handle that very well...much better than any other bird dog breed, I think.

Get youself an adult dog. In the long run both your family and the dog will win.

RayG

labmom23

Post by labmom23 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:13 am

Thinks for the suggestions! I was in a.hurry and forgot to mention I would like something smaller than a.lab. I was thinking an English springer spaniel or a Britt but only 2 people have mentioned them.:p someone down the.road from me breeds English setters. I could talk to them but like I said I would prefer something smaller.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:00 am

labmom23 wrote:Thinks for the suggestions! I was in a.hurry and forgot to mention I would like something smaller than a.lab. I was thinking an English springer spaniel or a Britt but only 2 people have mentioned them.:p someone down the.road from me breeds English setters. I could talk to them but like I said I would prefer something smaller.
Most people on this forum use pointing dogs that's why you won't hear many say ESS. You should get lots of support for a Brit. However, I say you can't wrong with and ESS or a working English cocker. I personally just got a working cocker pup and he's been great so far. Even took him out for a walk in the bush and already diving into cover like crazy (and he's only 10 weeks!). I saw the breeder's dogs (he breeds both ESS and ECS) and were crazy fast out in the field but all turned it off as soon as they entered the house and were very laid back and quiet (lounging on the floor). There are tons of great dogs out there and any breed you pick you will love I'm sure. I was in a similar position as you. I like labs and hunt mainly upland and ducks but my better half didn't want a large dog. After researching tons of different breeds, the english cocker was the perfect fit for our family and my hunting interests. And best of all they come in a 30-40 pound package.

boonebrit

Post by boonebrit » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:42 am

Temperament in the house, coat, and size all point to a britt for you. Some smaller flushers will also work well... hadn't seen Boykins mentioned. Another pointer nobody has mentioned... GWP's. Bigger dog, but it will fit your need.

whatsnext

Post by whatsnext » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:04 am

labmom23 wrote:Thinks for the suggestions! I was in a.hurry and forgot to mention I would like something smaller than a.lab. I was thinking an English springer spaniel or a Britt but only 2 people have mentioned them.:p someone down the.road from me breeds English setters. I could talk to them but like I said I would prefer something smaller.

My first dog was a britt and i have had many since then and have had great success with them,but i get the feeling on this forum there is more resentment towards them or should i say how there trials are run not necessarily the breed itself.