Dog food

Doc E

Re: Dog food

Post by Doc E » Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:17 pm

Cutting back the amount of food (protein and fat) also cuts back the necessary nutrients (vitamins, minerals etc)

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:04 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
And another thing people forget to think about, is they get a higher percentage feed so they can feed less of it and not have to clean up as much, but in actuality they are feeding less protein or what ever. Use Doc E's comment of not using a 32 instead of a 30 % feed for a puppy. If you cut back less than a 1/4 of a pound of feed you are feeding less protein, not more. We need to think things through carefully before jumping to wrong conclusions.

Ezzy
I think one needs to define "cutting back" at this point then. If you are feeding less than the recommended guideline of whatever dog food you are currently using that is "cutting back" which is an obvious negative action unless expertly advised to do so. If you choose to feed a dog a richer and more nutrient dense kibble, which would already suggest a smaller amount of feed than something else, that is not cutting back. There is a substantially big difference between the two and one should not be inclined to create arbitrary rebuttals. If you were trying to establish something different than what I interpreted, I encourage you to elaborate further.
JKP wrote:
Yes, to reduce growth rate. Proper feeding regimen with the appropriate amount of feed will control your growth rate in large breed dogs.
Its my understanding that OCD and ED (not referring to the problem that many suffer from here :lol: ) are contributed to by nutrition and/or a growth disturbance (unequal growth rates of the bones of the lower in the case of ED).
I would bet that slowing the growth rate has some science behind it.
Elbow Dysplasia is more noted as a genetic inherited trait than anything else. Rapid weight gain during development heightens higher probability of various forms of Dysplasia and almost all research suggest restricting the caloric intake over anything else. With these specific conditions, research suggests to focus on Kcals distributed. But to bring to perspective, diamond puppy has 438 Kcals per cup which is close to standard on a non large breed labeled puppy feed. Most large breed puppy formulas are between 328 - 417 Kcals per cup.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:33 pm

I have to admit I can't discuss this intelligently without going out and studying what the guaranteed levels of calories , protein and fat are as I seldom ever look or pay much attention to them. Calories I have never checked on any feed and I do check the others when I see a new feed but couldn't begin to tell you what they are on the feed I use let alone the others we talk about. I do keep very close watch on the dogs or other animals I am feeding and adjust the feed to the level it takes to supply what the dog needs and not what the bag says it should need. And I do hear the argument that practically everybody is trying to find a higher percentage feed so they can feed less and at the same time they also say they need a feed with higher fat and protein. And my comment though stated poorly is when you feed less of the 32% feed that you do a 30% feed you are many times feeding less protein and fat than you are with the lower percentage feed.

bed time so I am getting off of here.

Ezzy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:08 am

kCals on the bag are rather meaningless - not all dogs digest all feeds exactly the same as the machine measuring the kCals. Feed the dog the amount of food that is required to keep them in condition - control the feeding so you don't overfeed or underfeed and then you can go from there as to which feed is more economical/practical for you to feed. I found that three different feeds with the same kCal listing will feed quite differently to the dogs in lbs/day (which is also quite different than cups/day).

When feeding puppies, feed them the amount that keeps them a little on the lean side - fat puppies are not good regardless of the size of the breed. But the studies have shown that excess growth rate problems are more noticeable in larger dogs.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:03 am

slistoe wrote:kCals on the bag are rather meaningless - not all dogs digest all feeds exactly the same as the machine measuring the kCals. Feed the dog the amount of food that is required to keep them in condition - control the feeding so you don't overfeed or underfeed and then you can go from there as to which feed is more economical/practical for you to feed. I found that three different feeds with the same kCal listing will feed quite differently to the dogs in lbs/day (which is also quite different than cups/day).

When feeding puppies, feed them the amount that keeps them a little on the lean side - fat puppies are not good regardless of the size of the breed. But the studies have shown that excess growth rate problems are more noticeable in larger dogs.
I agree whole heartedly. Feeds, dogs, and people are all different so how does a single figure work for all of them.
Ezzy

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:11 am

ezzy333 wrote:
slistoe wrote:kCals on the bag are rather meaningless - not all dogs digest all feeds exactly the same as the machine measuring the kCals. Feed the dog the amount of food that is required to keep them in condition - control the feeding so you don't overfeed or underfeed and then you can go from there as to which feed is more economical/practical for you to feed. I found that three different feeds with the same kCal listing will feed quite differently to the dogs in lbs/day (which is also quite different than cups/day).

I agree whole heartedly. Feeds, dogs, and people are all different so how does a single figure work for all of them.
Ezzy
Oh come on guys leave the common sense out of dog food threads.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:51 pm

ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy

If you look back I stated an experience that is in agreement with the two of you. I was merely mentioning in my recent post what researchers focused on what they wanted to cutback. Calories, volume of food, seems pretty moot don't you think seeing that one is affected by the other? Onto more important things like my Irish beef stew for dinner!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:02 pm

:idea: :idea: :idea: :idea: Close as I can come to 4 stars but it is probably closer than Dog Food Advisor is to the facts. If you know anything about feed this isn't even arguable.

Ezzy

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:32 pm

I have to tell you PMI Exclusive in the Purple Bag is about a good a deal as you are gonna find. Reminds me of Pro Plan before the Swiss took over.

Works out to $.80lb when you factor in the 7th free bag. Exclusive Red Bag is also good.