Poison ivy from dog fur?

Hoosierdaddy

Poison ivy from dog fur?

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:45 am

My son just got a nice case of poison ivy all over his arms.Since he is not an outdoorsman,he must have gotten it from the dogs.I have never heard of this happening and i am loving up the dogs in the feild all the time for good deeds done.Has anyone experienced this before?

smittty

Re: Poison ivy from dog fur?

Post by smittty » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:55 am

ive never had it happen but common sense tells me sure it can... LOL

Echo Hill Kennel

Post by Echo Hill Kennel » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:02 am

Yes it can happen

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:10 am

yep, my wife and step daughter both get it from the dogs. Janet works real hard to cover up when working in the yard. She will get it in the middle of winter with snow on the ground if one of the dogs digs down and then comes in.
Rick

Griffsmom

Post by Griffsmom » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:17 am

Yes its true. My husband is extremely allergic to it. We couldn't figure how it would get so bad so fast. He is a plumber and in a lot of ditches and when installing drain fields would get it from the exposed roots every once in a while. Then it started getting worse every year, we couldn't figure it out. Then we saw our dogs around it in the lower wooded back yard. It will start on his legs and spread like wild fire to the point he needs to go in and have a steriod shot to stop it. So yes it was the dogs that were carrying it back on their coats. It is such toxic stuff, you can even get it in your lungs if you try to burn it, just from getting in any smoke from the burning.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:16 am

Yes. It is the oil of the plant that causes the reaction, and it can be transferred from most anything, shoes, tools, dogs, etc. Anything that touches it and then someone.

There have been a lot of advancement in OTC treatments. Ivy Block is a pre-exposure lotion. Ivy Wash helps remove the oil before the reaction starts. And there is a newer very expensive treatment that effectively treats the rash, I have forgotten the name, but Walgreen has it.

If you suffer from it you need all three.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:28 am

The stuff I got from Walgreen's, and I sometimes used it as a post field wash on my dogs last season, is Tecnu. It works pretty good for just about anything that would cause a contact reaction.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:31 pm

Tecnu makes a number of good products, including the block and wash.

Zanfel is the high priced treatment, like 40 bucks for a small tube, but it works beter even than perscriptions.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:50 pm

We get poison ivy from the horses 8) and sometimes it's in the hay, too.

Walmart has a version of Zanfel that is cheaper and just as effective. Last year I picked up a bottle of some stuff at TSC - it worked great and was only 2 bucks on sale!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:55 pm

shags wrote:We get poison ivy from the horses 8) and sometimes it's in the hay, too.

Walmart has a version of Zanfel that is cheaper and just as effective. Last year I picked up a bottle of some stuff at TSC - it worked great and was only 2 bucks on sale!
Great info on cheaper.

Suffering from full breakouts from minor contact always has me looking for a better treatment. I even went through the expensive and dangerous desentitation treatments.

It is hard to be a cowboy when you are in constant fear of not only getting near poison ivy, but touching those things that have.

As a kid I was hospitalized with it, after being left in the car while my cousins played in the woods, only to be effected from their clothes. Luckily none of my family are hyper-allergic. My son can handle it with impurnity if he washs with hand soap within a few hours.

Again thanks for sharing.

clink83

Post by clink83 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:06 pm

Neil wrote:Tecnu makes a number of good products, including the block and wash.

Zanfel is the high priced treatment, like 40 bucks for a small tube, but it works beter even than perscriptions.
This stuff is gold. I used to work in the woods in SW oregon and California, and it has about the worst poison oak possible. Tecnu was the gold standard for removing the oil from clothes and your body for people who were sensitive to it.

buckeyebowman

Post by buckeyebowman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Neil wrote:Yes. It is the oil of the plant that causes the reaction, and it can be transferred from most anything, shoes, tools, dogs, etc. Anything that touches it and then someone.

There have been a lot of advancement in OTC treatments. Ivy Block is a pre-exposure lotion. Ivy Wash helps remove the oil before the reaction starts. And there is a newer very expensive treatment that effectively treats the rash, I have forgotten the name, but Walgreen has it.

True that! It can even be transferred by smoke! If you're doing a prescribed burn, or even an un-prescribed burn, and there is poison ivy present, and the smoke gets on you, you can catch it if you are sensitive. Thank God I'm not!

clink83

Post by clink83 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:00 pm

buckeyebowman wrote:
Neil wrote:Yes. It is the oil of the plant that causes the reaction, and it can be transferred from most anything, shoes, tools, dogs, etc. Anything that touches it and then someone.

True that! It can even be transferred by smoke! If you're doing a prescribed burn, or even an un-prescribed burn, and there is poison ivy present, and the smoke gets on you, you can catch it if you are sensitive. Thank God I'm not!
After the big california fire season in 2008 all the people working in the fire warehouses got back all the stuff they sent there...which was covered in poison oak oil..ouch.