Caution

onuhunter02

Caution

Post by onuhunter02 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:56 am

All

Maybe I just had a bad experience with one of this breeders many pups that may have a successful blood line but I had a terrible experience with a breeder from Mechanicsburg, Ohio. I will leave his name out due to the fact that I dont know if the forum will think it is appropriate. Any how he "breeds" gsp's I went out to his house to take a look at the litter and picked out the one that looked good from the outside the house looked like an average farm house. He had his papers squared away (I should have asked for pedigree paperwork) and he let me take a look at the dad. I immediately saw some discipline issues with the dad but dismissed it to bad training. I picked the pup up at 9 weeks when I picked her up they had me go in the house I immediately saw that these were not clean people I know pups can stink but she smelled horrible worse than any pup I have ever seen. I thought she looked small but with all thing a side I had tunnel vision and moved forward. I went to the vet the next day and he told me she needed de-wormed which I expected but he told me she had way more worms in her stool than she should (potentially dangerous amount), there were parasites once again I understand that happens, she is bow legged in the back and a few weeks she was showing signs of being bow legged in the front, he told me she was four pounds light, and due to being bow legged I should not breed her. He further told me the bow legged probably came from genetics and the breeder should have known it would be passed along. Once I got her health up in the many weeks to follow I know she was young but she showed zero desire to hunt and did not display any indication that she would. I have trained several dogs before so I decided if she would not meet my needs I would find her a home to be a house dog and I was fortunate enough to find her a great home in which the family loves her and she loves them. I have been in contact with the family and they have given me every indication that she would not have been a very good hunter. I know this is long and many people will read this and tell me every thing I did wrong. This is a situation where I took a chance and had poor judgement. At the end of the day once I got her home I wanted to give her a chance but it was not going to work out and I feel blessed that there is a family though that she will make happy. I will get off my band wagon but still use caution (or contact me) when picking a breeder from mechanicsburg, Ohio

topher40
GDF Junkie

Re: Caution

Post by topher40 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:06 am

Sorry for you bad experience,although your tunnel vision did lead to all this. Unfortunately the action of people buying these animals will only lead to this idiot to breeding more. As with anything, BUYER BEWARE.
Chris E. Kroll
CEK Kennels
http://www.cekkennels.com
785-288-0461

Governments govern best when governments governs least

-Thomas Paine

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:49 pm

I agree completely that is why I have yet to complain about the situation but use it as a learning experience. I just wanted to put it out there just in case any one is looking in that area I am not sure where the forum steps in on bashing people but the guys first name is Keith that should be enough so if anyone is looking in the Mechanicsburg, Ohio area they will know to stay away. My next pup is coming from the Eulenhof kennels in Michigan I have heard good things about them has anyone heard different.

onuhunter02

Post by onuhunter02 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:16 pm

Not sure if this is new enough for anyone to still look at but yesterday I picked up a pup from Eulenhof kennel's in Michigan and from what I can tell she seems a million percent better. After seeing this pup and the others in her litter I would have to say absolutely do not go with the above mentioned breeder there was more to that dogs issues other than just potentially being a runt.