Tell me all about wirehaired pointing griffons

jegan

Tell me all about wirehaired pointing griffons

Post by jegan » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:56 am

I am very interested in a wirehaired pointing griffon. I would like to get input from experienced owners. I have done extensive research on the breed and would like to get your opinions. I hunt fur, waterfowl, and feather. I want a dog that will do well in the field - dove, pheasant, woodcock, in the water - ducks, geese, and with fur - tracking wounded deer, etc. I also want a dog that is going to do well in the home and with children. Everything that I have read has indicated that the WPG excels in all of these areas. Please let me know what you think. Thanks

Jagerdawg

Re: Tell me all about wirehaired pointing griffons

Post by Jagerdawg » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:30 am

You can probably get more info over on the versatile dog site I think there is more active Griff owners there

Shagrunner

Post by Shagrunner » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:00 am

I don't own one, but I have hunted over several. I actually bought my cousin, with whom I hunt all the time, one because it was a much better fit for the type of hunting he liked to do. He started out with a couple of big running setters and he never could get into them being as far away as they worked. He always wanted them to work much closer than they did. We have a mutual friend who bred WPGs and had a litter a little before Christmas a couple of years ago, so I bought him a pup for Christmas. It's been a relationship made in heaven; a perfect fit all the way around. The dog has the perfect personality for my cousin. He hunts at what my cousin feels is the perfect range. He works well in any and all situations and conditions. He just turned out to be the perfect dog for the situation he was put it. That said, they are not the dog for everyone. I, personally, would not want one. I like my big running setters and since I'm not a waterfowler I really don't care about that aspect of their performance. They are slow, lumbering dogs who seldom get more than 50-80 yards away, at least the ones I've seen are all of that, but I've also come to appreciate that they can be the perfect dog for the person looking for what they bring to the table. Best of luck in whatever you decide to do.

Sasquatch

Post by Sasquatch » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:14 am

I've had my Griff for 8 years and he has been the ideal dog for me. He does hunt close which works for me as most of the time I am in heavy cover. He is not slow or lumbering by any means and I would actually like to see him slow down a bit. Doesn't have the wheels a pointer has, but still covers lots of ground.

We hunt grouse, pheasant and ducks and he will just as soon claw his way into a blackberry patch to fetch as dive into the river on a sub zero day.

He has a ton of hunt in him, but is also very calm around the house. He is a little on the aloof side when it comes to strangers and other dogs, but that is fine with me. I don't need or want a dog that is "goofy friendly"

I also have 2 hunting friends who have Griffs and while I agree they are not for everyone, I have yet to meet an unhappy Griff owner.

Oh yeah, one more thing I really like about them - they shed very little if at all.