Common courtesy - what is the "best practice?"

Scott Linden

Common courtesy - what is the "best practice?"

Post by Scott Linden » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:21 pm

Okay, in this day of political correctness (not my forte), less-common sense, and a mob scene at parks, public hunting grounds, and the national forest behind my house ... what do you expect of your dog when he sees:

- Another dog in the distance
- A hiker or biker in the distance

And why?

brad27

Re: Common courtesy - what is the "best practice?"

Post by brad27 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:27 pm

My dog could careless about both. She's out there for one reason.........

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:33 am

If ur in the city or a dog park i say trouble.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:11 am

Scott Linden wrote:Okay, in this day of political correctness (not my forte), less-common sense, and a mob scene at parks, public hunting grounds, and the national forest behind my house ... what do you expect of your dog when he sees:

- Another dog in the distance
- A hiker or biker in the distance

And why?
I'd never be at a park but if hunting, or not, at a public hunting ground or in a NF and I saw other birddogs and hunters then I would go the other way or to another location with my dog....leashed, if necessary.
Why? Common courtesy...seems obvious the way the question was posed.
What would I expect of my dog? Within understanding of the very individual particulars that could arise, I would expect my dogs to do as I say.
Why? Odd you would ask.

As to political correctness, that can be a simple form of common courtesy unless being Non-PC is the personal agenda.
More and more that is indeed the popular call by frustrated people...as with most issues though, they eventually get over-blown and folks rush toward either end rather than working out a reasonable solution in the middle.
Sad.
The above issue would not even appear to remotely be connected to political correctness but rather to the courtesy mentioned and, most importantly, to very basic common sense.
Common sense.....that is what being non-PC often ignores.
Sad doubled.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:33 am

I usually call my dogs to me, and make them sit as either the person or dog walks by. The problem arrises when other people let their dogs walk over and "say hello" to my dogs :evil:
Most people do not understand how fast and brutal a 100 lb lab is when their border collie runs up into his personal bubble.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:14 am

I do not go to parks with my dogs, so I cannot comment. I suppose you could say my dogs are not particularly well mannered. All I can say is that they are usually better mannered than their owner. :lol: :lol:

If I am hunting on state land and someone else is hunting in my direction I will veer one way or the other and I would expect(out of common courtesy) that the oncoming hunter or party do likewise.

If I am hunting on state land and a hiker or biker is in the vicinity...I expect them to give way, if that is possible, because I have a legal right to be there hunting and non-hunters should not interfere with that. If they are approaching and there is limited passage, such as on a narrow trail, I would of course call my dog in as they approached and send the dog after they passed. That is not good manners, that is good sense and avoiding potential trouble.

RayG

clink83

Post by clink83 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:17 am

deke wrote:I usually call my dogs to me, and make them sit as either the person or dog walks by. The problem arrises when other people let their dogs walk over and "say hello" to my dogs :evil:
Most people do not understand how fast and brutal a 100 lb lab is when their border collie runs up into his personal bubble.
If you know your dog is aggressive to other dogs why would you take him to places with off leash dogs?
I expect my dog to greet other walkers and hikers, and leave them when I call. Bikers need to be ignored.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:18 pm

x2 to the above

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:46 pm

clink83 wrote:
deke wrote:I usually call my dogs to me, and make them sit as either the person or dog walks by. The problem arrises when other people let their dogs walk over and "say hello" to my dogs :evil:
If you know your dog is aggressive to other dogs why would you take him to places with off leash dogs?
I expect my dog to greet other walkers and hikers, and leave them when I call. Bikers need to be ignored.
I agree with clink...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:10 pm

I don't take my dogs to parks either. People come around here and they go out and greet them, enthusiastically. If the dog catcher came in the drive they would lick the skin off his face. My guy's like people.

deke

Post by deke » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:38 pm

Wow I got hammered. Let me explain, where I run my dogs is also our local hunting grounds. People like to take their house dogs for walks out there because they dont have to be on a leash. So my options are either dont take that dog hunting, or teach him to come to me and sit down when I see another dog coming close. He is not aggressive in the sense that he will chase another dog, he is old and crochety, he does not like young fast moving dogs to invade his personal bubble.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:46 am

deke wrote:Wow I got hammered. Let me explain, where I run my dogs is also our local hunting grounds. People like to take their house dogs for walks out there because they dont have to be on a leash. So my options are either dont take that dog hunting, or teach him to come to me and sit down when I see another dog coming close. He is not aggressive in the sense that he will chase another dog, he is old and crochety, he does not like young fast moving dogs to invade his personal bubble.
Your dog is aggressive to other dogs - an instigator. It is your problem, not someone elses'.

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:14 am

Actually , a growl, a bark or even a bit of a nip for a dog that rolls in dis-respectfully is not bad, some times pups and older dogs need to learn manners. I had sort of interpreted it as red zone aggression.

So this is a two way street, so it depends is your dog the old man who tells kids to get off his lawn, when they are trampling his petunias , or is he the old man who shoots at them with rock salt as they walk past on the side walk.

Any yea some of those herding dogs just seem to want to run full speed in and go nose to nose, in my experience not as bad as huskies, around here if there is going to be a random a$$hat dog it's a husky.

JKP

Post by JKP » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:21 am

Figuring out which dog is at fault or what owner should have done what is sort of an academic exercise and a waste of time. First of, Susie house wife soccer mom has no idea whether her dog is aggressive, snarkie or whatever.

Avoid these situations....obedience train your dog and assume EVERY dog coming towards you has an owner that is a functional illiterate when it comes to canine behavior and training. These people think their dog is a person. Using this "generous" view of my fellow dog owners has served me well. I except many of my fellow sporting dog enthusiast from this view, but I still play it safe.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:29 am

I go running within the city limits and dogs have to be on leash... A older man runs with an agressive Sheppard and another dog. I have had to kick these dogs before and he allows them to continue to run and not be on a leash. I have told his friend and him, the dogs will die and how they will if I encounter them again off leash and need to protect my dog and myself. To say he was unhappy is an understatement. I'm sure ill get bit in the process (because we can't carry any guns within city limits) but you have to do what you have to do.

Btw unless I'm hunting, there is a leash attached.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:10 pm

I drive miles so I rarely encounter other dogs, when I do, I leash my dogs, go the other way or pack up.

Ultacarry, I think you would be better served by involving the authorities, police and animal control, or even a court order.

But even with a CCW Permit you cannot carry a gun in the city? You need to move.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:06 pm

You wont get a CCW in the republic of Cali.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:13 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:You wont get a CCW in the republic of Cali.
Oh, right. Thanks. He does need to move. I was born there, it is a beautiful, wonderful place, but I have not been back in over 40 years.

deke

Post by deke » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:12 pm

slistoe wrote:
deke wrote:Wow I got hammered. Let me explain, where I run my dogs is also our local hunting grounds. People like to take their house dogs for walks out there because they dont have to be on a leash. So my options are either dont take that dog hunting, or teach him to come to me and sit down when I see another dog coming close. He is not aggressive in the sense that he will chase another dog, he is old and crochety, he does not like young fast moving dogs to invade his personal bubble.
Your dog is aggressive to other dogs - an instigator. It is your problem, not someone elses'.

If my dog was agressive to other dogs wouldnt he be chasing them? Or barking, or growling? And as for instigator, he sits by my side at heel. Maybe you need to look up the definition of instigator.

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:20 pm

One of the "secret squirrel" places I go to run my dogs close to town has recently become popular. It's private property but the owner has graciously allowed folks with nice dogs to use it to walk them off-leash. I know most of the folks out there and have never had much trouble. However, like I said, it's getting more popular and last weekend I went out there and there was a truck I'd never seen before parked in the middle of the turn-around blocking everyone else from using it (which was awesome). Anyway, we did a loop and were almost back to the car when we ran into a man and his wife who had two huge German shepherds on leash that lunged viciously at my dogs when they ran by toward the car. The man/wife both screamed commands that weren't obeyed (along with other colorful language) and wrestled around with their leashes. The guy was carrying a big stick and cracked his dog over the head with it a few times all the while yelling something about me needing to get my dogs on a leash before his dogs got hold of them. Fortunately, the owner of the property saw the whole thing and told them to leave and that they were not welcome back. They stomped off after some more colorful language and sure enough got into the rig parked in the middle of the turn-around :roll:. Point is, folks who have no control over their dogs, especially dogs who clearly do not get along with other dogs, have no business in off-leash areas. In an off-leash area there is a reasonable assumption that is made that if a person brings a dog there, knowing there will be other dogs running loose, then that dog is safe for other dogs and people to approach. There are plenty of leash-only places to walk 'socially challenged' dogs and that is the appropriate place to do so.