Questions about Shaving a Longhaired Dog

Cora's Shadow

Questions about Shaving a Longhaired Dog

Post by Cora's Shadow » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:47 pm

I have never shaved a dog before. I have a Deutsch Langhaar that I will be training this summer to run through an HZP, VGP, and the NAVHDA Invitational. Between the heat and the weeds at one of our duck search water sites, I'm thinking that it might be worth shaving her this summer and keeping her shaved (or really short-coated) through October 5th (the last day of testing for her this fall).

My big issue is that this is a German-bred dog who needs to go through her breed show the second weekend in November in order to complete her breeding certification. Obviously I would like her to receive a very good or excellent rating for her coat so I don't want to something that could negatively impact her rating.

So I have two questions. My first question is, does shaving a dog affect their coat in any way? If I shave her, will her coat come in any differently than if I did not shave her?

And secondly, how long does it take for a coat to grow back in? If I shave her this summer, when do I need to start letting it grow back so that it will all be back in time before the breed show? I will NOT be shaving her tail as I realize that that will take much longer to come back in.

Thanks so much for your help!

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Questions about Shaving a Longhaired Dog

Post by Karen » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:58 pm

IMO, shaving DOES effect coat quality. The Brittany that I have repeatedly shaved has a fine, cottony coat, which is not what we started with. Also, it takes about 8 months for him to grow his coat back.

Mike50

Post by Mike50 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:08 am

I had German Shepard I would shave. It would take 2or3 months to come back. Friend has a Springer he shaves and its about the same.

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:15 am

There are ways to deal with things that get caught in the hair, you can spray Cowboy Magic and comb it through. That will help a lot.

Shaving a dog in the summer is an old wive's tale. It wont help and could even make the dog more suceptible to the heat. Just make sure the undercoat is combed out. Get a Furminator and thin out the undercoat.

Shaving a dog with a guard coat ruins it. It will take the better part of a year to get back to normal.

Shagrunner

Post by Shagrunner » Mon Apr 01, 2013 6:27 pm

I have a good friend and hunting buddy who raises Drathaars (SP?) He has told me many times that one should NEVER shave one of these german dogs. It will ruin their undercoat to the point where it will never be the same. FWIW.

Munster

Post by Munster » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:18 pm

Cora, Dont do it! I shaved my older Munsterlander's underside and it still has not come back right. It has been 5 years. The hair came back thinner and kind of cotton feeling. I did this for her when she had pups.

I have always been told, and I believe it. The coat that protects them in the winter, protects them in the summer. At the risk of altering a her breed show rating, I wouldnt chance it! Maybe take the chance after?

Good luck with your dog. She sure is special!

Cora's Shadow

Post by Cora's Shadow » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:13 am

Thanks so much to everyone for all of the advice. It sounds like I shouldn't chance it. I will just leave Bianca's coat as it is and hope for the best. Thanks again!

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:29 pm

I don't know about the German breeds, but it helps Brittanys and setters deal with the heat and even more with mud, snow and ice, it is a must to compete with pointers. Takes about 4 months to fully grow back. I do not shave dogs that are going to be in shows.

smittty

Post by smittty » Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:55 pm

my setters get buzzed once a year around the end of may...but I only trim there feathers

Willie Hunter

Post by Willie Hunter » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:52 am

smittty wrote:my setters get buzzed once a year around the end of may...but I only trim there feathers
My setters get a #7 cut in April and September.