Quail Hybrid/Eggs?

Stoneface

Quail Hybrid/Eggs?

Post by Stoneface » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:48 pm

I'm looking for some Valley/Bobwhite crosses. I'll take grown birds, chicks or my bird guy is willing to hatch them for me. I can't find anything on the net, though. I've put in some inquiries to some breeders who carry both species, but I imagine if they're willing to do it they'll charge through the roof. Does anybody know to get this hybrid or any other hybrid between a Bobwhite and other spooky species, like a Gambel's or Scalies? Thanks.

gotpointers

Re: Quail Hybrid/Eggs?

Post by gotpointers » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:36 pm

Did the breeders you talked to confirm that a cross to a bobwhite is possible? I raised and hatched every quail except mountain and mearns for years and I don't think they will and haven't seen it yet. But id like to see.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:49 pm

I know bobwhite/scaled crosses occur in the wild. I see it regularly out here. I have shot many of them. Not sure about valley/bobwhite crosses though.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Quail Hybrid/Eggs?

Post by ACooper » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:23 am

Why?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:06 am

It seems that Rowdy is wanting some better flushing birds. Maybe he has had trouble getting them up, but I would recommend finding better birds, not different breed if that's the case. Again theres no need to re-invent the wheel that has gotten us so far.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:16 am

Why don't you just get Valley Quail?

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:46 pm

I've heard Valleys are a pain to train on, just won't do anything but run. I found a guy that does a three-way cross between Reds, Bobs and Valleys that look like Reds, but are extra spooky.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:22 pm

Reds are still bobwhites. There's plenty of variants of bobwhites being sold. Check out eBay and keyword quail hatching eggs. Orange, whites, Georgia giants, Tennessee reds, Wisconsin Jumbos to name a few.
Try a flight pen and use the privacy type screening for the sides. Fill the water and feed only at night to keep the birds from seeing people. Valley, scale and gambles are not as easy to raise as Bob's and their egg prices reflect it.

KCBrittfan

Post by KCBrittfan » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:42 pm

I'm curious about the Department of Conservation's viewpoint on releasing non-native species for dog training. Certainly any kind of man made designer hybrid would be classified as non-native.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:54 am

G, Reds are "technically" Bobs, but if I went to a breeder and he had both and asked me what my preference was, I'd tell him to load me up with Reds any day of the week. So much better than conventional Bobs, in my opinion. To me it's like the difference in a Red and an Irish.

I'd spoken with the game officer about training with Valleys or Chukar because to train with Bobs or Pheasants, you have to have a permit in Missouri (Missouri has so many stupid regulations it will make you sick). He said they had no regulations on it and I was totally fine. If it's not native to the state then I can do anything I want with it. I can turn them loose on public conservation areas and run my dogs and there's not ordinance. That's about the only thing Missouri doesn't have an ordinance for. I can't wait to get out of here!

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:36 pm

Check out North American Gamebird Association for anything that flies and is huntable http://www.mynaga.org/find-game-birds/

birddog98

Post by birddog98 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:09 pm

I know you can cross the valley, gamble, scale to bobwhites have been doing it for many years no problems always take the rare cock to the bobwhite hen more eggs that way! Great quick super fast flyers you are great if you train with any of the desert quail most will rum super fast or quick burst short to the ground!!.......Key note...If you do this in my years of doing it the birds live great but they are MULEs.....Don't try and hold them over for eggs as I never had a fertile one!....You can also Cross the Reeves with a Ringneck making a super bird!.....Right now Im crossing two types of partridge new ones should be interesting in since they are in the same family the offspring will be fertile too almost like how you have the French Red/Chukar cross!! By the way if you find it I would not give no more then .60 cent a egg for the cross! Pm if you need more info on how to do etc!