Time and Energy Focused on Trials

Grange

Time and Energy Focused on Trials

Post by Grange » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Here's how a lot of us trialers prepare for a trial. We work the dogs on wild birds. All bird work in these pictures were on woodcock.

The first of many points this evening.

After the flush and shot.

After the shot we heard some movement behind me and I saw another woodcock walking.  I don't know if Tico smelled it, but I think she saw it.

A stop to flush.

This point produced at least five woodcock.

This is after a flush and shot.

Now just because these pictures show open ground this was the not the norm for the snow cover.  Here is what the majority of the woods looks like. There it is probably a good 6+ inches and in the lower areas with less sunlight it was probably closer to 12 inches. I'm looking forward to when the snow cover is mostly gone. I just hope it is before the leash law goes into effect.
Image.

My first trial of the season is on Friday morning. I think her bird work is good so now I am hoping she'll have enough stamina for her brace.

uplandnut

Re: Time and Energy Focused on Trials

Post by uplandnut » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:25 am

She looks good Jim! good luck in portage friday.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:56 am

What a waste of time focusing on training for a trial when you could be out developing a real bird dog by walking in the woods and working on wild birds.
Looking good there.

JKP

Post by JKP » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:14 am

That can't be a trial dog...how did you find it without a spotter??? :lol: :lol:

The woodcock are coming through heavy by our camp ... its a great opportunity for dogs.

Good luck!!

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:48 am

I have only had one woodcock so far this year and it was a couple weeks ago. We were out pretty steady until Monday, my setter had 3 nice grouse finds before splitting a pad wide open on some ice. He will be laid up until a trial this weekend aside from maybe a little tethered pigeon work. I finished up at dark Monday and I did hear a couple woodcock cruising around.

Looking good, good luck.

Grange

Post by Grange » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:41 am

JKP wrote:That can't be a trial dog...how did you find it without a spotter??? :lol: :lol:
My spotter is there, but she sitting off to the side when I took the pictures. She's black with some white around her chin, has 4 legs, a tail, barks occasionally and loves to bring things back to me.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:11 pm

Don't tell anyone but I work my horseback shooting dogs on woodcock too (from foot)!! Its been a great spring!

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:01 am

I wish people in my neck of the woods would get the memo! I just discovered Woodcock this past fall thanks to a friend I met on GDF. This guy knows his stuff. I can't believe how many pass through Gothem in the fall and spring. Now that I know what they look like in flight and how they sound I notice them all over the place. Our cover isn't white as open as that, though. The stuff we hit this fall and spring was so thick I think I'm either going to have to teach the girls to flush or teach my Mal to flush for me. I don't think I can get into some of that stuff. It's a shame to many folks from around here pack up and spend thousands of dollars to get to wild birds, when they are probably within a mile of bookoos of birds. The guy that got me involved runs his spaniels on wild Woodies in his subdivision.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:15 am

Great looking setters!!