Noise and pups

Hoosierdaddy

Noise and pups

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:24 pm

I have two Britt pups 7 months old. They have little or no fear of the following,chainsaws,tractors,logsplitters,grinders,lawnmowers, and most any farm related stuff i do.However i have a neighbor that lives close-by that has turned his son loose with a high powered rifle.He takes it out in a small wooded area and is out there blasting away at who knows what.My male does'nt like it,and my female is pawing at the door to get in.
The pups have not been shot over or even had a cap gun fired around them as of yet.I had one gun shy dog i dont need two more. I am hoping when the leaves get on the trees it will muffle the noise somewhat.I am very worried about this.I need some help on this one.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Noise and pups

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:17 pm

I would gun break your pups as soon as possible - using the correct methods - that way you're ensured that they won't become gunshy. Ask the neighbor to let you know when they'll be shooting and bring the pups inside or get away from the house for a while if you can. Limit their exposure to other gunfire until you've acclimated them to the gun first.

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:20 pm

+1 on the above post

tfbirddog2

Post by tfbirddog2 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:59 pm

My dogs dont care for highpowers, pistols havent seemed to be bother them

Max2

Post by Max2 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:36 pm

Nothing worse then the high power rifle noise. Hopefully the ammo supply or cost of will slow the kid down. I have to deal with the same thing here where I live & fear that it will effect the dog. After last summer I thought sure my dog was ruined. But he hunted flawlessy this past fall. Because of the fact that I live in a valley 200 yrds wide that funnels down from the shot direction when the guy cuts loose it sounds like I am standing right next to him.

AzDoggin

Post by AzDoggin » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Agree about doing gun exposure the right way. Any chance you could talk to your neighbor and explain the situation with your young pups and ask for a few weeks respite from the rifle shooting so you can gunbreak the pups? Heck you could offer to take the kid hunting over them if it all works out right.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:45 am

AzDoggin wrote:Agree about doing gun exposure the right way. Any chance you could talk to your neighbor and explain the situation with your young pups and ask for a few weeks respite from the rifle shooting so you can gunbreak the pups? Heck you could offer to take the kid hunting over them if it all works out right.
I dont think this young man is intrested in hunting at all. I busted him shooting at some neighbor kids with a BB gun two summers ago.I thought my head was going to explode when i saw that.I called him into my garage and had a "come to jesus meeting" with him.My mistake at the time was not telling his parents what i witnessed. I doubt they would have done anything anyway.His parents are clueless and thats being kind.In all honesty this is the last kid in the neighborhood that should be running around with a rifle unsupervised.

Max2

Post by Max2 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:39 am

I reccomend that you think it through. I am a city person moving to the country (strike one) In my case the shooting picked up after asking for a heads up before shooting. I guess like I had one heck of a nerve to ask. Funny part was the person I was asking was also a city person. Who felt I was out of line in asking. Long story short then I had to go around trying to tell local people I am not against the shooting sports jsut don't want to screw up my dog. Once they find out it bothers the dog they do it more. My dog is gun broke and had been shot over for four full seasons before I realized what was going on. He goes to work with me most days but sometimes he would stay home & I would come home to a kennel in dissaray. Water bucket upside down kennel screen pulled in. Bottom line it sucks ! I come to find out one day while working in my yard that when the guy got to hammering my dog came running to me and jumping on me as if to say whats up with that ? This is how I found out what was going on. Be careful how you deal with this .

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:06 am

Call the law, there are restrictions to shooting even in the country. Let them handle it, hate to say it but being neighborly isnt the norm any more. Sad but true.

Had one rent the place 1/4 mile down the road, they had a dog would come to my place and corner or tree my cats and bark for hours at them. I shooed the dog off dog was growling at me showing teeth so I told that dog best run off before I unlease the 45. Guy yelled at me and was gonna come whup me :) fat chance that. Saw him in town and told him heres my rear end lets see ya whup it. They moved shortly after that. I'm a nice person and belive in being a good neighbor to others but sometimes it isnt easy.

MHWH

Post by MHWH » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:27 am

I think, if you can, you should get your dog broke to gun fire as soon as possible.

The problem may still be there according to what others here have posted. High power
rifles have a different louder/sharper sound. So the dog may not be helped or "cured' even
after proper training.

I guess I would look into the idea that the shooting may not be legal there. Or it may be legal
in the country but only during hunting season or only at established shooting ranges. Maybe he is too young
to out there shooting without at adult.All states are different. If you find something like this I would
notify the police and then call when it happens next time. The cops will not say who called them.

I am thinking do all you can before just asking him to cut it out because it does not sound like that
is going to go over very well.

The shooting bothers me most because you said the kid is irresponsible with guns. Now he has a high powered
rifle! Where are these bullets going? Is the shooting safe? Like shooting into a proper back stop. Lots of
things come to mind. This is dangerous. The police would certainly be interested in that part of the situation.

Good luck. People. The more I hang around this planet the more I am convinced I would much rather be around dogs than most people. Probably the reason I bring my dog to work every day. After some people leave I talk to him for 10
minuets trying to get centered again, or i might go nuts, maybe I have.

Mike

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:01 am

Update: I had a talk with this kids daddy yesterday. I told him what has been going on the past week.(KId was home unsupervised all week during spring break).He acted suprised when i asked him about all the shooting going on behind his house.I told him it was close enough to scare the crap out of me and my dogs. Again he acted suprised. I never mentioned his kid. I asked him if someone might be hunting illegally on his property.I told him it did not sound like hunting,since it was a volley of shots.

I am the neighborhood crime watch captain for our area.So i lied a little bit and told him one of the neighbors called and asked about all the shooting going on in the neighborhood.I told him this neighbor was thinking about calling the Sheriff until i calmed him down so i could do some snooping around.

As of Monday,when the kid has been back in school i have not heard a single shot.I am not going to hold my breath on this but i did let him know that i am keeping an eye on his place.Wish me luck!

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:43 am

This aint Texas and it aint the wild west.We have hundreds of homes around farm feilds here.We also have FREE state run shooting ranges.within 15 minutes ride from here.My response to whipping up on the boy,here in Indiana i would be in jail and probably looking at a law suit and this is every bit the red state that Texas is. Touching off a highpower rifle in my area is unsafe,thats why i take mine to the range.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:37 am

That post was a bit harsh now that I read it. Sorry about that and did not intend to be as blunt as that came out. I used to go shooting by myself growing up in Louisiana and just hate to see a young man discouraged from shooting. You never know he may be the next Chris Kyle. Sounds like he just needs some direction and discipline. I forgot whipping is considered barbaric now. heck I had to go to the school a couple of weeks ago and not just sign a permission slip for them to spank my son but actually had to write out a detailed description of who, what, where, when and why they could spank him. Then it took 2 more times of him acting up after the initial couple of times for him to get swats from the principal. Don't get me wrong my son is not a juvenile delinquent and is only in Pre K but kids are going to do whatever they are allowed to get away with and need spanked when they are in the wrong. Here in Oklahoma we just drive out in the country if we want to shoot rifles, sometimes I forget that not everyone has that luxury.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:49 am

Well Tommyboy i thought this was going to get ugly and i am glad that now it wont. You seem to be a guy that is responsible for his kids and spend time with them.We both know that regrettfully that is not always the case.Parenting takes time and effort.I am always ready to teach any young man or lady that is intrested how to use a gun safely.And by the way i look nothing like Ben Stein.LOL

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:24 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:That post was a bit harsh now that I read it. Sorry about that and did not intend to be as blunt as that came out. I used to go shooting by myself growing up in Louisiana and just hate to see a young man discouraged from shooting. You never know he may be the next Chris Kyle. Sounds like he just needs some direction and discipline. I forgot whipping is considered barbaric now. heck I had to go to the school a couple of weeks ago and not just sign a permission slip for them to spank my son but actually had to write out a detailed description of who, what, where, when and why they could spank him. Then it took 2 more times of him acting up after the initial couple of times for him to get swats from the principal. Don't get me wrong my son is not a juvenile delinquent and is only in Pre K but kids are going to do whatever they are allowed to get away with and need spanked when they are in the wrong. Here in Oklahoma we just drive out in the country if we want to shoot rifles, sometimes I forget that not everyone has that luxury.
Wow thats amazing. I remember getting a spank from a teacher as a kid but if a teacher did that now I'm sure they'd be spending some quality time in custody, not to mention they'd never teach again. You can't even spank your own kids these days hahaha. Funny how different it is on the other side of the border.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Ben Stiller from the movie The Watch, about the neighborhood watch, not Ben Stein from Ferris Bueller's Day Off. :D

My son had already been in trouble for punching a kid for taking a toy from him and making the kid cry and for hitting another kid in the face with his boot because the kid swiped his boot from him on the playground so he had a spanking coming. I don't raise my son to bully but I don't expect him to let other kids run over him either. That had happened in the couple weeks prior and he continued to act up at school the following week. As stated my son is not a juvenile deliqent and knows better that is why when he got home from school after his paddling he received another spanking with the belt from me, was grounded for a week, and had house chores to do the entire week past his normal cleaning his room and such, he had to take out the trash which is usually my job, do the dishes with his mothers supervision, help put up his laundry, etc. which is normally done by either his mother or myself. Last week while we were at Dollar General he decided to steal a pack of gum from there and no one knew until we got across town to Ace Hardware. As soon as I came out of Ace and found out we went straight back and I made him pay for the gum and apologize in front of the entire store and then took him to the sheriff's office ,where I worked until last week before switching jobs, to talk to a couple of deputies about what happens when you steal and lead a life of crime. Then he got a spanking with the belt and grounded again when we got home. So far no more problems at school, at home, or out in public. Knock on wood.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:07 pm

I like to get out and shoot my 3 1911 pistols and take them and my wife whenever I go. They are not old enough to shoot yet but they love to watch and sometimes we take their BB gun and let them shoot it. My boys will always and forever be around guns and handle guns when they are older and are taught that guns are tools and can be dangerous if misused. They are allowed to touch and handle my UNLOADED firearms and I try and teach them how the firearms work and operate as well. They know never to touch them without daddy though. That way they are not such an object of wonderment for a young boy, which is what leads to accidents and misuse of firearms. I, personally, can't wait till my boys are old enough to train dogs and shoot guns with me. The terrain I train on is just too rough for them to traverse at the ages of 5 1/2 and 4 years old so for now they sit the sidelines but it won't be too long before they can participate.