New Puppy Advice

Lee_55

New Puppy Advice

Post by Lee_55 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi All,
I am bringing home my first Labrador puppy in May, right at the 7 week mark.
Unfortunately 2 weeks after I get her, I will be out of town for 2 months for work. I will be home on Weekends, and hopefully Wednesday evenings.
Any advice on how my wife and I can deal with this? I want to do my best to get her as accustomed to me as possible, and to do the best I can with basic training before gun-dog school.
Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill?
Any and all advice is appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Lee

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: New Puppy Advice

Post by Sharon » Fri Apr 05, 2013 4:17 pm

NOt ideal but probably not a disaster either.Hopefully your wife has some basic info about living with a new pup - crate training , housebreaking - and has time to get pup out to see the world. ON weekends YOU feed the dog.
viewtopic.php?f=89&t=41721

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:12 am

When I bring home a new pup I take 3 days off so I can potty train and set some rules down. Makes it easier for her when I am not here. (the wife)

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:17 am

markj wrote:When I bring home a new pup I take 3 days off so I can potty train and set some rules down. Makes it easier for her when I am not here. (the wife)
I too take time off. I picked my ECS up 3 weeks ago and made sure I was off for the week when I got him. Did the same when we got our dachshund last year.

Big bloc

Post by Big bloc » Sat Apr 06, 2013 7:38 am

Just sit down with your wife and try to set some goals. You need to make sure you are both on the same page when it comes to training. I made it very clear I did not want my pup jumping on anyone. I know its cute when they are puppy's but not so cut when they are 60lbs and muddy. Good luck

Francois P vd Walt

Post by Francois P vd Walt » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:02 am

The MOST IMPORTANT here is pup must adapt to your life and house rules. Agree you need to sit wife down discuss the way fwd and goals, YOU have to feed pup on wkends. Basic training must be done everyday so on wkend also make sure you take pup out to have fun after all it is about fun, under YOUR rules.

Good luck

Lee_55

Post by Lee_55 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:14 am

Thanks everyone!
I am going to be off for 2 weeks prior to going away for a while, I wanted to have at least weeks 7-9 with the pup.
I will definitely do as you all have suggested!
Lee