First Contact with Forum

gundog virgin

First Contact with Forum

Post by gundog virgin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:47 pm

Hi All :D
As my username suggests this is my first venture into the gundog world. Been a Labrador owner for 20+ years but only ever purely as family pets although I have always prided myself on their good manners.
I have so many questions it's hard to know where to begin !!
I have just joined the United Retreivers Club (Lincs).
I have 2 black labs - 1 x bitch 17 mts and 1 x dog 25 mts.
My questions are -
Firstly is my bitch too old to start training ? I have been at it for a month and I feel we are making good progress but don't want to waste hers and my time if we're not going anywhere.
Secondly is it advisable to train only the bitch or should I train both. Just seems a bit ambitious for a novice and of course if she's too old then he is positively an OAP !!!! She is so keen and he appears a little non-plas with it all.
Lastly by training the one I notice that when they are out together her behaviour is completely different in as much as she seems to revert to normal dog mode together with him (running riot around the fields etc...) I feel I may have almost answered my own question there but hey !!
Hope this post isn't considered too long, especially for a newbie !!

Would welcome any advice

Breton13

Post by Breton13 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:17 pm

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am new to the hunting dog scene myself, and have a pointing dog, so I might not be of any help. However, there are a lot of knowledgable pepole on this forum, so enjoy!
Fay P.
Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said.
Penny's Pedigree
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=270

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:36 pm

We have never had a yard stick to measure the length of a post by anyone. If we did I would be the first one gone. Welcome!!!!

Your dogs are never too old to learn so they are never too old to train. I have found that many times the older ones learn faster than a puppy.

I would work on the female first maybe but it would be good to have them both working in the same page. So if you have the time do both otherwise get the female done and then start on the male. Hope it all goes right but if not be sure to ask. We don't have as many lab people but hopefully we can still help.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

pear

Post by pear » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:25 pm

GDV, Welcome!! From my experience, (and it is limited with Labs) the ages of your dogs should pose no problem at all. I'd agree with Ezzy, work with both or if you feel you want too do one at time I'd concentrate on the female. Good Luck and keep us posted. I’m sure we have some here that can lend much more help than us pointing guys. Again welcome share and enjoy. …”pear”
"When I was a kid, I used to pray every night for a new "puppy". Then I realized that the Lord, in his wisdom, didn't work that way. So I just stole one and asked him to forgive me".

Arti
Nikki
Diamond
Bailey

odie

Post by odie » Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:51 pm

My previous dogs were labs. It is definitely not too late. Your dogs may have started in with some bad habits that will be harder to break than it would have been to prevent them. But can be acheived.

IMO, train them together, but in a way that only one can participate while the other is forced to watch from a stake out. If your female is the most interested and seems quicker to "get it", I would start the training session with her and the male watching.

gundog virgin

Post by gundog virgin » Wed Sep 27, 2006 4:07 pm

Many Thanks for the advice I'll keep you posted as to which way I go and the dogs progress.

Regards from the UK

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Sep 27, 2006 6:15 pm

Welcome Virgin! Glad we could be the first one to... um better stop there...

Glad to have ya.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:22 pm

Welcome. Ezzy is correct in his advice, but heck, he's always correct!! :wink:
big steve

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:02 pm

Just because I am from IL.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

big steve46

Post by big steve46 » Wed Sep 27, 2006 10:29 pm

No question that there are lots of smart birdhunters in Illinois! Some of us have to work to get our wild quail in the bag. Our dogs are special and trained to work briars, brush, and woods. It's too easy to just shoot tame birds or even wild birds in Texas where there are 10 coveys per square miles(although I sure would like to try it sometime!). Illinois is the land of real birdhunters and smart guys like Ezzy! :lol:
big steve

pameladallaire

welcome

Post by pameladallaire » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:16 am

Welcome to the board. :)

Pam