Grass to plant

gozz21

Grass to plant

Post by gozz21 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:11 pm

I have an open field of about 5 acres that I want to plant into grass for training dogs. I want it to be about knee high or so. What kind of grass should I plant and where is a good place to buy seed?

nitrex

Re: Grass to plant

Post by nitrex » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 pm

I believe you would want to talk with your local seed company or county extension office. I have found my local extension office to be very helpful! Every area of the country is different in the area of soil, temps, rainfall, etc..

Good Luck!

Nitrex

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:26 pm

You might consider Little Bluestem, a google search should give you some places to purchase seed.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:31 pm

You'll have to kill out all the fescue or whatever you have first before you plant the native grass seed. Little blue is a great choice as it provides good cover for birds and grows in a clumpy habit (good for bird planting). Best way to kill fescue is to burn and then spray (over 90% kill when you spray in the fall) - you'll want to kill it out twice, once in the fall then again with a follow up spray in the spring. Then plant native warm season grasses behind it (don't follow with another cool season grass like orchardgrass or timothy) it will be too hard to control the fescue if you have cool-seasons. Short natives include little bluestem, junegrass, sideoats.....check locally with a wildlife seed company (or call Star seeds in KS).