Naturals?

JoshHaker

Naturals?

Post by JoshHaker » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:22 pm

Do pointers and setters have stronger natural abilities than the other breeds? Would these two breeds be more likely to train themselves quicker if they were exposed to wild birds?

mask

Re: Naturals?

Post by mask » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:59 pm

I won't say a thing about your first question. It may just open a can of worms or be suicide to opine. To your second question, there is no substitute for wild birds, never has been, never will be.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Super freaks in every breed as far as natural ability goes,which is why one can't make a blanket observation of one being better than another,I've had my share of setter duds,and yup all of em were sired by multiple time AF Ch.

As mask suggests no duplicate for wild birds,close imitations can be set up but never duplicated.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 pm

You could train your dog on wild birds but it's gonna take a whole lot longer; they don't co-operate with you and more times than not, will not be where you want them. Now if you just want a dog that goes along and handles them in some fashion to get you shooting, you can do that.

nitrex

Post by nitrex » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:48 pm

Surely everyone know that setters and pointers have more natural ability! That's a Fact!!! :twisted:

Seriously, I own GSPs and a setter and trained many others of various breeds. I would still say generally speaking the pointers and setters have more 'point' in them genetics. Other breeds have their perks...

Nitrex

Wenaha

Post by Wenaha » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Yes, and yes.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Tue Apr 09, 2013 11:28 pm

JoshHaker wrote:Do pointers and setters have stronger natural abilities than the other breeds? Would these two breeds be more likely to train themselves quicker if they were exposed to wild birds?
You bet they do, harnessing their abilities is where the work comes in. If you can teach come and stay you have yourself a hunting dog.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:58 am

I believe the answers you get will be quite biased here. I think the answer you are looking for is "a well bred dog will have stronger natural abilities than an average dog".

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:08 am

JoshHaker wrote:Do pointers and setters have stronger natural abilities than the other breeds? Would these two breeds be more likely to train themselves quicker if they were exposed to wild birds?
Dogs who are allowed to train themselves take their natural talent at face value and pretty much train for themselves. Cj

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:48 am

I have seen young English Setters point butterflies all day long while in the kennel as a young dog.
However, I believe all well bred pups can start early.

For instance, my under 4 month old Brittany below would hold point for me to catch up with her for two hundred yards+ to flush the bird while I would be walking.
Hippie.jpg
The same thing with this 12 week old GSP puppy pointing by scent below:
Diva_02102013.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.