Dog with Sore Leg

Mr. Crappie

Dog with Sore Leg

Post by Mr. Crappie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:37 pm

I have a five year pointer female that has suddenly started acting like one of her rear legs was bothering her. Every once in awhile, she "yipes" and carries her leg for a second. After that is over she bears all her weight on the leg and walks on it. She is very active and plays with one of my younger dogs each (until I saw this sign). I have checked her pads, and felt around her leg with no indication she is hurting. Although she was not taken to the vet, he gave me some anti-inflamitory medicine to try. I am a little concerned about it being a acl. Anyone have any thoughts? My vet says its a good sign that she s putting weight on it and walking.

Mr. Crappie

Re: Dog with Sore Leg

Post by Mr. Crappie » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:11 pm

I guess my question should really be.......Do you think it is a acl tear?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:17 pm

It could be a luxating patella.

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:14 pm

See a Vet Orthopedist

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:22 pm

Not good! An ACL is *fairly* easy to diagnose - try Macon Vet and let them know what you think it is. If there is significant protrusion on the inside of the leg - that is one sign of an ACL tear. Lizzy has just completed surgery at the vet school and is on week 1 of 8 weeks of crate rest for her ACL tear. They tried an experimental procedure similar to TPLO (Dr. Cook) - it was half the price of the TPLO surgery and she's now in an experimental group for helping determine the likelihood of a dog developing an ACL injury based on synovial fluid. Lizzy limped significantly and was in quite a bit of pain. I hope your girl just pulled a muscle. With Lizzy, this was her second surgery in the last two months - the first was an achilles tendon tear on the other back leg. She's like the 6 million dollar dog now - all plates and screws and sawed off bones!

Mr. Crappie

Post by Mr. Crappie » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Thank you Roostersmom! After speaking with tonight on the telephone, I looked Bess over and didn't see any type of protrusion. Both rear legs look and feel th same. She is putting weight on both back legs and just every once in awhile acts like it bothers her. I'm praying that its a strain or pull and have put her on bed rest with anti-inflammatories. I guess the worst case scenario she will be a soiled "pet".
Thanks for your help.