Training Section

S&J gsp

Training Section

Post by S&J gsp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:00 am

Well since it seems that there are only two ways to train I'll stay off the training section but I still remember when most of the folks that are being quoted over there were starting out in training for the public. Not saying that they don't have a good program but it seems that only thing is that way or wrong. All programs are about bird dogs and you still need birds to have a bird dog. And if I've got questions I'll pm the people that I know what a good dog is suppose to look like;

Winchey

Re: Training Section

Post by Winchey » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:45 am

You sound like you need a hug.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 am

Some folks get tunnel vision with thier traning program. There is more then one way to skin a cat. keep a open mind.

jlowery

Post by jlowery » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:16 am

I have taken advice from tons of folks... I try to take that information and make it my own, or work for me and my dog... :roll:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 am

S&J gsp wrote:Well since it seems that there are only two ways to train I'll stay off the training section but I still remember when most of the folks that are being quoted over there were starting out in training for the public. Not saying that they don't have a good program but it seems that only thing is that way or wrong. All programs are about bird dogs and you still need birds to have a bird dog. And if I've got questions I'll pm the people that I know what a good dog is suppose to look like;
There are hundreds of successful ways to get a broke dog. I do agree it takes birds...

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:28 am

HA! I actually had someone there accuse me of not understanding my trainer's program and techniques and they CALLED HIM to check up/report me to the trainer! I've not entered the training section on this board since (and that was probably 3 or 4 years ago).

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:29 am

No I don't need a hug. There are a lot of good people on here and a lot of mis information on here also. I've spoke to a few people on here in person and a few in pm's but some think there is one way and that is the only. In my 25 years training I have not stopped learning yet and when I stop learning I'll stop training. A seminar or two don't make you a PRO, one dog don't teach you everything. There are people that have for got more about birddogs than I know but there advise is covered up by a bunch of this way is right no that way is the best BS that if your new you don't know who is who
Last edited by S&J gsp on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:43 am

I agree...there is a bunch of misinformation. Some is ignorance and some is just poor communication. Why are you offended? So far, you have made a number of posts that are subject to conjecture if for no other reason than the semantics involved. I mean for heaven sakes, we argued for two pages about whether dogs are place oriented. A term adopted by a number of trainers to explain to people the importance of generalization and a dogs reaction to environment...read the invisible fence folks literature for reference. There are a lot of people on here that have handled hundreds of bird dogs and some will handle a hundred or more again this year and next and the one after that. Their credentials and successes are well documented, common sense will tell you those to avoid are the "trainers" who work too hard to establish their credibility on internet forums. You are absolutely correct, new people are often led astray and sometimes it is hard to watch...

S&J gsp

Post by S&J gsp » Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:53 am

I'm not offended by anything at all keep my opinion to my self just like I did for the first 6 months on the board
Last edited by S&J gsp on Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:17 am

If I misread your tone; and as we are writing, that is as likely as not, I do apologize. It seemed to me that you were in some manner upset that others disagreed with and questioned the basis of some of your statements, or that you were offended when others defended premises you were dismissive of. While its probably human nature to do so, I don't think the measure of an open mind is simply the one we are operating from.