1.5 week old pigeon chicks with no

jeffkrop

1.5 week old pigeon chicks with no

Post by jeffkrop » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:09 pm

I had 3 pigeons get out of my coop yesterday 1 was the father of 4 chicks 2 moms or what ever you call mom and dad pigeons. Now I have 1 mom with her 2 chicks & 2 chicks with no one to take care of them. I had to put 3 born pigeons in boxes to stop them from killing the baby chicks.
What should I do can bring the 1.5 -week-old chicks into the house and somehow feed them? But see them what?
2 chicks have been alone for 24 hours now, 2 checks have been with just the female/mom for 24 hours.
The 3 born pigeons have been n boxes for 16 hours and plan to leave them n their till figure out what to do with the chicks.
Anyone have any advice for me the thing lost all 4 checks? Have you ever seen male pigeons kill other checks?
These pigeons that flew off have been n my coop for over 2 months and have gone in and out the coop door many times from across the yard.
Last edited by jeffkrop on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smoothbean

Re: !.5 week old pigeon chicks with no

Post by smoothbean » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:12 pm

Kaytee makes a commercial feed for hand feeding baby birds. Lots of local pet stores will carry it. You can feed it with a syringe. When I was a kid a raised a baby pigeon and I think I fed it bread soaked in milk. You may have to force the mouth open and force feed a couple times but they will get the idea pretty quick.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:12 pm

If you cant find the pet store food replacement use some of the dry baby cereal that gets mixed with warm water. Can't remember exactly the name. It's been many years since I had to do that.

jeffkrop

Re: 1.5 week old pigeon chicks with no

Post by jeffkrop » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:01 pm

So the 2 chicks here are the ones that have not had food in 36hours I have them in a box in my house. They will be 2 weeks old on Wednesday. 1 is beat-up but seams ok.
Im getting rice cearal so I can try feeding.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:25 pm

gotpointers wrote:If you cant find the pet store food replacement use some of the dry baby cereal that gets mixed with warm water. Can't remember exactly the name. It's been many years since I had to do that.
Did this and they did ok I have them under a light in the basement now see what happens

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:25 am

I feed my adult pigeons scratch. Found some abandoned chicks awhile back. Fed them scratch blended in a blender with warm water. Worked good. Use a syringe that is cut off, removing narrow portion. Put a rubber glove finger over syringe and cut a slit in it. Chicks will attack you when the rubber glove feeding time comes around....good luck.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:48 pm

skyehunter wrote:I feed my adult pigeons scratch. Found some abandoned chicks awhile back. Fed them scratch blended in a blender with warm water. Worked good. Use a syringe that is cut off, removing narrow portion. Put a rubber glove finger over syringe and cut a slit in it. Chicks will attack you when the rubber glove feeding time comes around....good luck.
How long did you do this for?

skyehunter

Post by skyehunter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:46 am

jeffkrop wrote:
skyehunter wrote:I feed my adult pigeons scratch. Found some abandoned chicks awhile back. Fed them scratch blended in a blender with warm water. Worked good. Use a syringe that is cut off, removing narrow portion. Put a rubber glove finger over syringe and cut a slit in it. Chicks will attack you when the rubber glove feeding time comes around....good luck.
How long did you do this for?

About a month...seemed like forever.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:19 pm

They are just pigeons............The time, effort and money you spend trying to keep them alive you would be better off catching a couple of adults under a bridge. :twisted:

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:30 pm

topher40 wrote:They are just pigeons............The time, effort and money you spend trying to keep them alive you would be better off catching a couple of adults under a bridge. :twisted:
So true but even just pigeons deserve the time if someone wants to try and save them. They aren't worth much but a lot more than five minutes of ipod or videos. I won't criticize if someone is too busy to care but I will for someone that criticizes someone for trying.

Ezzy

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:41 pm

I wasnt criticizing only making an observation.

jeffkrop

Post by jeffkrop » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Thanks Ezzy.
They both died anyway and I did care I care about all my pets. I was sad to lose them.
It looks like I will get 1 of of 4 chicks. Its hard work being in the dog and pigeon game.