Do you 'respect' your dogs?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Re: Do you 'respect' your dogs?

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 02, 2013 1:03 pm

Winchey wrote:What thread are you reading?

Didn't I read you state dog's shouldn't be let off a check chord on facebook when a Lew got shot by a farmer?
Me?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu May 02, 2013 1:24 pm

Sorry, it was "keep your dog's at home or face the consequences" which I probably took the wrong way.

Although other than my posts being misinterpreted and rowdy's posts, I don't recall anyone else posting in such a way to sugest bird dogs are doomed.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Winchey wrote:Sorry, it was "keep your dog's at home or face the consequences" which I probably took the wrong way.

Although other than my posts being misinterpreted and rowdy's posts, I don't recall anyone else posting in such a way to sugest bird dogs are doomed.
That's a way different version there and it must have been a long, long time ago because it doesn't ring a bell at all. Last thing I saw on FB about a Lewellin was a guy used to post here that had one of his dogs put a nasty face bite on his toddler last week. Or, are you in my chicken group?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu May 02, 2013 1:41 pm

Hunting Dog USA, back in January. Unless you are the wrong person.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Thu May 02, 2013 1:52 pm

Winchey wrote:Hunting Dog USA, back in January. Unless you are the wrong person.
?????

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu May 02, 2013 2:22 pm

Domestic dogs today are like a new species that is made up of genes spliced together from humans and wild dogs.
That. Is. Awesome!

Although, IMO, he can get a little over the top in his criticism of my casting technique, if Scooties says to use a size 18 PMD emerger I respect his opinion. If he gets too smart alecky with me, I ask him to tie it on for me then laugh at his lack of thumbs! :lol: :lol: :

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Thu May 02, 2013 2:53 pm

Scoots deserves some respect for that...it is a floating pattern. Now if he had you using a nymph under some kind of bobber, like say, a DD might? Well then, all moral fiber is suspect.

asc

Post by asc » Thu May 02, 2013 6:34 pm

markj wrote:
Any of you shoot dogs that won't hunt or maybe not hunt well? If not what do you do with those dogs?
I dont know what I would do, luckily I own Shorthairs and never had one wouldnt hunt.... sorry about your dog, re home it to a non hunting family and get a shorthair...
reading comp skills fail.

asc

Post by asc » Thu May 02, 2013 6:42 pm

asc wrote:
slistoe wrote:
asc wrote:I got a question for y'all. Any of you shoot dogs that won't hunt or maybe not hunt well? If not what do you do with those dogs?
Is this the annual trolling international convention?
No, just a question. This is a gundog forum, right?
Deer dogging is a tradition in my area(mostly walkers and beagles). These hounds are cared for well and a lot of time is taken to train a good pack. That being said, dogs that won't hunt, bark, or dogs that run hogs or other such trash are usually culled.

This thread just got me to thinking about how people treat their dogs. I have never culled a dog, I just work with what I got.
No straight answer, bout what I figured.

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu May 02, 2013 6:47 pm

Some people keep them as pets or hunt them anyway, some rehome them. Not a lot of shooting in my area, not anymore anyways. But I hear lots of stories of things that go on down south.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Thu May 02, 2013 6:56 pm

asc wrote:I got a question for y'all. Any of you shoot dogs that won't hunt or maybe not hunt well? If not what do you do with those dogs?
Never have owned a birddog that did not hunt or hunt well enough.
Never been so hard up that I would have to permanently ditch a bargain made, had a dog not hunted or not hunted well enough.
Never wanted to know or be around those that would shoot a dog for not hunting or not hunting well enough.
Always been lucky that way.

asc

Post by asc » Thu May 02, 2013 6:57 pm

Winchey wrote:Some people keep them as pets or hunt them anyway, some rehome them. Not a lot of shooting in my area, not anymore anyways. But I hear lots of stories of things that go on down south.
More on the hounds here than the bird dogs but some won't feed a bird dog either if it don't live up to expectations. I don't keep hounds anymore and I always treated pointers differently.

Thanks for the reply.

And yours too, Mountaineer

asc

Post by asc » Thu May 02, 2013 6:59 pm

asc wrote:
Winchey wrote:Some people keep them as pets or hunt them anyway, some rehome them. Not a lot of shooting in my area, not anymore anyways. But I hear lots of stories of things that go on down south.
More on the hounds here than the bird dogs but some won't feed a bird dog either if it don't live up to expectations. I don't keep hounds anymore and I always treated pointers differently.

Thanks for the reply.

And yours too, Mountaineer
BTW, I never culled hounds, just had a sorry pack... :lol:

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu May 02, 2013 8:18 pm

asc wrote:
asc wrote:No, just a question. This is a gundog forum, right?
Deer dogging is a tradition in my area(mostly walkers and beagles). These hounds are cared for well and a lot of time is taken to train a good pack. That being said, dogs that won't hunt, bark, or dogs that run hogs or other such trash are usually culled.

This thread just got me to thinking about how people treat their dogs. I have never culled a dog, I just work with what I got.
Silence is assent right? Take that to the bank and spout your newfound wisdom to demonize as you see fit.
(and that is more time than anyone should have given to this trolling)

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu May 02, 2013 8:19 pm

:D You felt compelled to state the obvious did you.

By the way, stories are reality right?

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 pm

I have heard some from people that have been down there and I trust, and I have heard stories of people doing it here long ago from people I know who told me they did it. No clue how prevelant it is.

asc

Post by asc » Thu May 02, 2013 8:32 pm

slistoe wrote:
asc wrote:
asc wrote:No, just a question. This is a gundog forum, right?

Silence is assent right? Take that to the bank and spout your newfound wisdom to demonize as you see fit.
(and that is more time than anyone should have given to this trolling)
No, and no demonizing here ior trolling... Now be a good boy and take a hammer in one hand and a fistful of sand in the other and go pound it..

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Thu May 02, 2013 9:52 pm

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Thu May 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Stoneface wrote:Domestic dogs today are like a new species that is made up of genes spliced together from humans and wild dogs.
Stoneface wrote:Everything I'm saying is NOT just opinion, it's actual evidence.

Sure.

tasi devil

Post by tasi devil » Fri May 03, 2013 6:28 am

asc wrote:
slistoe wrote:
Is this the annual trolling international convention?
No, just a question. This is a gundog forum, right?
Deer dogging is a tradition in my area(mostly walkers and beagles). These hounds are cared for well and a lot of time is taken to train a good pack. That being said, dogs that won't hunt, bark, or dogs that run hogs or other such trash are usually culled.This thread just got me to thinking about how people treat their dogs. I have never culled a dog, I just work with what I got.
same thing happens here with Roo dogs, & as an aside , the same goes for Greyhounds.

i'm not bothering to answer the main question, Mountaineer pretty much said it for me
Never have owned a birddog that did not hunt or hunt well enough.
Never been so hard up that I would have to permanently ditch a bargain made, had a dog not hunted or not hunted well enough.
Never wanted to know or be around those that would shoot a dog for not hunting or not hunting well enough.
Always been lucky that way

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Fri May 03, 2013 8:30 am

Respect

Noun

A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.
Based on this definition, my answer would be Yes. I can respect a good looking dog's abilities, in nailing a hard stylish point, tracking a running rooster over the terrain to slam a point on it, digging deep into cattails to recover a downed bird, tearing up a duck search at a test. I can respect the fine functional conformational qualities of a working animal, whether it be a ranch horse or a meat dog. I can respect the dog (and it's owner) that achieved performance titles in tests or trials, knowing that they worked together to overcome the dog's natural instincts to create a fine hunting partnership.

There is a difference for me, between riding the definition of respect out for what it is, and being worried about being lumped in with anthropomorphism.
an·thro·po·mor·phism

Noun

The attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object.

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri May 03, 2013 10:33 am

wems2371 wrote:

There is a difference for me, between riding the definition of respect out for what it is, and being worried about being lumped in with anthropomorphism.
an·thro·po·mor·phism

Noun

The attribution of human characteristics or behavior to a god, animal, or object.
Dam glad you defined that one for me! I was still counting on my fingers! :lol: :lol:

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Fri May 03, 2013 1:31 pm

ACooper wrote:
Stoneface wrote:Domestic dogs today are like a new species that is made up of genes spliced together from humans and wild dogs.
Stoneface wrote:Everything I'm saying is NOT just opinion, it's actual evidence.

Sure.

Hilarious! :D

CHJIII

Post by CHJIII » Fri May 03, 2013 3:30 pm

I have absolutely no respect for my dogs. they lay around all day, get fed, get taken to the vet, get their nails done for them. they get to run in the woods for a good portion f the day. they get to take out of state trips where they eat even better. they get to roll around on dead animals, Someone bathes them. Get to sleep by themselves with no one to snore or steal the comforter. Get their boo-boos taken care of etc....

Respect them....Heck NO!!!!!!

A little jealous....Heck Yes!!!!!

Gertie

Post by Gertie » Fri May 03, 2013 3:37 pm

I respect them as dogs. Does that count? :lol:

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Sat May 04, 2013 8:02 am

Back at ya fla.

Dog wont hunt? Why we drag the worthless SOB out to the hole and drop it in, dont bother shooting it why waste a bollet? Hole is deep enough to just fill it in..... that what ya want to read? or

drag the worthless SOB to the river, tie on a cement block and toss both in?

No, I would re home it and buy a shorthair. you do as you wish with your dogs there. You guys take em to the swamp and feed the gators now dont ya?

Did you understand all that?

Easier to respect a dog than most humans is my exp.

asc

Post by asc » Mon May 06, 2013 8:34 pm

markj wrote:
Back at ya fla.

Dog wont hunt? Why we drag the worthless SOB out to the hole and drop it in, dont bother shooting it why waste a bollet? Hole is deep enough to just fill it in..... that what ya want to read? or

drag the worthless SOB to the river, tie on a cement block and toss both in?

No, I would re home it and buy a shorthair. you do as you wish with your dogs there. You guys take em to the swamp and feed the gators now dont ya?

Did you understand all that?

Easier to respect a dog than most humans is my exp.
I only asked an honest question about dogs that don't make the "cut", so to speak. I wasn't even talking about one of mine.

I have never culled or even "re-homed" a dog if it didn't meet my expectations, I just keep them until they die from old age or have them put down due to some physical affliction.

I'll add you to the hammer and sand list, you understand that?

tn red

Post by tn red » Mon May 06, 2013 10:10 pm

Rowdy .....is your real name Wayne Pacelle?

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Mon May 06, 2013 10:15 pm

tn red wrote:Rowdy .....is your real name Wayne Pacelle?
Ingrid Newkirk.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue May 07, 2013 3:29 pm

I'll add you to the hammer and sand list, you understand that?
Um OK you be the sand. I amswered yer question yoiu made a snide remark. Dont do that in front of me ever, I dont take kindly to that type of talk.

We dont bucket culls nowadays if that is what you are after. We re home them to a family that dont hunt. Get it? If not please take the evelyn woodhead speed reading and comprehension class... (I'm ageing myself here)

Any other snide remarks you wish to throw my way?

Not gonna tell ya to pound sand, wouldnt be prudent at this juncture.....you is just rude so no sand for you

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Wed May 08, 2013 10:12 am

ASC, best go start yer own thread. This one isnt yers so forgettabout it and move on. Dont PM me either anymore with yer crap.

asc

Post by asc » Wed May 08, 2013 11:22 am

markj wrote:ASC, best go start yer own thread. This one isnt yers so forgettabout it and move on. Dont PM me either anymore with yer crap.
That is why I sent the pm.
Mind over matter sir. I don't mind cause you don't matter.. Bless your heart! :mrgreen:

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Wed May 08, 2013 11:46 am

Why dont you all keep it to PM at this point? Sure doesnt seem to bettering the conversation on here with your measuring contest. Thats a formal warning if you cant read between the lines.

asc

Post by asc » Wed May 08, 2013 11:48 am

topher40 wrote:Why dont you all keep it to PM at this point? Sure doesnt seem to bettering the conversation on here with your measuring contest. Thats a formal warning if you cant read between the lines.
I'm done.

Troy08er

Post by Troy08er » Sun May 12, 2013 9:57 pm

Elkhunter wrote:My dogs eat the other dogs chit... Thats about all I can offer to this conversation. :)

mine too