Dog theft

Munster

Dog theft

Post by Munster » Fri May 03, 2013 11:16 pm

My heart goes out to the guy in Florda and I didnt want to hijack so I started this to answer a question.

The dog theft thing really freaks me out whenever I go anywhere with my dogs.

How often does this really happen?
what can you do to help protect your dog??

I have logos on my truck so now I am thinking I am making my dogs a target. When we hunt, we have 3 dogs. We take 2 and leave one behind. We lock up, but we all know if someone wants something, they will get it.
Makes me wish I had the kind of dogs that hit the kennels and look aggressive when someone comes close.

mm

Re: Dog theft

Post by mm » Sat May 04, 2013 5:43 am

I worry about this also because I do the same leave dogs in the car while I hunt. I think you are right about downplaying the stickers and such advertising an expensive dog. If this was to happen to me this is what I would do. I would call the police and make sure they understood the value of the dog. This would be important to raise the complaint from petit larceny to grand larceny which would be a felony and get more attention. I would insist on fingerprinting on areas the theif would have touched and if refused I would call a supervisior or anyone I could get to help get this done. If the theft was in a populated area I would go door to door and look for cameras and anyone who may havd saw somthing and I would do this several times until I spoke to everyone in the area. If cameras are in the area hopefully I could view video and track cars or people who were in the area during the theft. I would watch craigs list and other local sites for dogs found and for sale and and go to these locations and look for my dog. I would offer a reward. I would go to the spca and try to find out who the area dogfighters are and I would go see them. I would try to get media attention a story in the paper or on the local news could help a lot. I think that has to be one of the worst feelings in the world to find your dog gone and having a plan in place would be a good idea. These are my suggestions I would be interested in other ideas. What do you think?
mm

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sat May 04, 2013 1:38 pm

Munster wrote:My heart goes out to the guy in Florda and I didnt want to hijack so I started this to answer a question.

I have logos on my truck so now I am thinking I am making my dogs a target. When we hunt, we have 3 dogs. We take 2 and leave one behind. We lock up, but we all know if someone wants something, they will get it.
Makes me wish I had the kind of dogs that hit the kennels and look aggressive when someone comes close.

I had a great dog stolen 10 years ago at a gunclub skeet shooting Championship week end. Still bothers me. Still look for him when I go there even though I know ............

Changes I've made: I always lock up the van if leaving the dog in the van - which I rarely do now. I don't tie my dog up to a pole etc outside a store when I go walking up town. I leave him at home or don't go in any stores.

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sat May 04, 2013 2:48 pm

I've never had it happen but I worry about it when traveling with our dog trailer. We just bought locks for the individual kennel doors and we lock them overnight or in the field.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat May 04, 2013 3:11 pm

I worry about it because where I live now has no fences. Luckily its very remote and I try to put their GPS collars on when I turn them loose. I hope they find that dog in FL. That must be a horrible feeling.

stlgsp

Post by stlgsp » Sun May 05, 2013 12:12 pm

Had the windows broken out of my van in a hotel parking lot last spring. The policeman who came to do the report told me they were probably after the dogs and were either stopped by someone who heard them or the dogs barking. Since then I always get a room where I can see my vehicle and get up several times during the night to check on the dogs.

Munster

Post by Munster » Sun May 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Sucks that it has come to this. :?

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Sun May 05, 2013 8:12 pm

I had one stolen years ago. The dog was making a great cast down the line about a half mile or so and got to the end of the line. About that time I saw a guy pull up in a pickup and VIOLA I couldnt hear the beeper anymore. My buddy and I ran back to our pickups and caught up with the guy. I cut him off in the front and my buddy pulled right in behind him so he couldnt go anywhere. He denied seeing a dog, let alone picking one up. His story changed quite a bit when he met my .45 and I told my buddy to check the dog box in the back of this dudes truck. Low and behold my dog was in the box. I popped one into his tire when we left to teach him a lesson.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon May 06, 2013 6:49 pm

Munster wrote:My heart goes out to the guy in Florda and I didnt want to hijack so I started this to answer a question.

i took all logos off my truck.this includes hunting logos etc.
not only for theft etc but everyone will know your spot hunting anf know what you are hunting.
i have had hunters follow me to woods and too fishing too.

my truck looks like normal truck now.

dog theft does not happen too often here in my area of pa.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Mon May 06, 2013 6:58 pm

my garmin alphg
topher40 wrote:I had one stolen years ago. The dog was making a great cast down the line about a half mile or so and got to the end of the line. About that time I saw a guy pull up in a pickup and VIOLA I couldnt hear the beeper anymore. My buddy and I ran back to our pickups and caught up with the guy. I cut him off in the front and my buddy pulled right in behind him so he couldnt go anywhere. He denied seeing a dog, let alone picking one up. His story changed quite a bit when he met my .45 and I told my buddy to check the dog box in the back of this dudes truck. Low and behold my dog was in the box. I popped one into his tire when we left to teach him a lesson. Just an FYI, dont mess with my wife, kids, dogs, or my truck- You might not be so lucky.

this is why i like my garmin alpha so much.
i had a guy open his truck door near my truck and let whiskers jump into truck.
alpha showed where he was.
i got there and older gent was feeding whiskers half a ham sandwich.
he felt whiskers was cold.
i dont believe he was going to steal whiskers only having some fun with him.

but this stuff happens and if your dog is friendly to others, they could get stolen very easy.
some folks will let your dog into their homes too while you are hunting.
had that happen moretimes than i could count.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue May 07, 2013 3:35 pm

Years ago I was doing a schutzhund thing with a dobie, had him sitting whenever someone came in with drugs :) got him entering a window, also hitting on humans on command, was outside with him. Went in to grab a tea and whamo he was gone. Had to tell the client he was gone and that sucked big time. Never found that dog.

Now I use chips, thinking on tatoo also. We need a GPS tracking chip. Hope someone comes up with them soon.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue May 07, 2013 4:18 pm

There is a GPS system called TAGG that is pretty small, mounts to your dogs collar and tracks the dog over most of the country. It will email and text alerts when the dog exits a pre established area and you can use a Smart phone as its receiver. The unit costs about $90 and the service is $10 per month.

birdyhunter

Post by birdyhunter » Tue May 07, 2013 7:53 pm

I appreciate this thread, I usually don't leave my dog in the kennel but other than pay an insane amount to board him I really had no choice. Never in a million years did I think someone would take him. My brother and my parents as well as my wifes parents all live within 3 miles and everyone near us is either a relative or close friends. Lesson learned though and when I get to where I can afford another dog he will either be making the trip or left at a family members house. Worst of all is my 2 year old little boy stands on the porch and yells COOPER trying to get him to come home. It's hearbreaking and if I ever find him there will be heck to pay.

birdyhunter

Post by birdyhunter » Tue May 07, 2013 7:56 pm

Those two were best of friends
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue May 07, 2013 9:37 pm

You never get over a stolen dog .

PS
Thieves almost immediately take off all collars including GPS'. Microchips are useless unles the dog is picked by a local Animal Control staff member. I got a dog back once by having a couple pictures in the van to show the Officer , to prove the dog was mine.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Thu May 09, 2013 6:50 am

Sharon wrote:You never get over a stolen dog .

PS
Thieves almost immediately take off all collars including GPS'. Microchips are useless unles the dog is picked by a local Animal Control staff member. I got a dog back once by having a couple pictures in the van to show the Officer , to prove the dog was mine.
you are right sharon. i never forgot mike when he was stolen.
sad part is i was right to porch of guy that stoled mike.
i saw him in yard but i was scared of owner and was not sure if it was mike.
years later we got a good look but what could you do then.
no chips etc.
this low life was stealing things out of your yard at 5 am too.

rinker

Post by rinker » Thu May 09, 2013 8:39 am

Fortunately, I have never had a dog stolen, and I don't think I can even remember any one I know having one stolen. I really don't even know what someone would gain by stealing a bird dog. I can't believe that they could easily sell them. They couldn't advertise the dog for sale on the internet, that would get them caught. There was a case on the news here a couple of years ago where a woman from a 'rescue' was stealing dogs that she felt weren't being treated well. Like being kept outside.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 09, 2013 5:39 pm

JIM K wrote:
Sharon wrote:You never get over a stolen dog .

PS
you are right sharon. i never forgot mike when he was stolen.
sad part is i was right to porch of guy that stoled mike.
i saw him in yard but i was scared of owner and was not sure if it was mike.
years later we got a good look but what could you do then.
no chips etc.
this low life was stealing things out of your yard at 5 am too.
Speaking of low lifes...
Here's a story:

Dog escapes from the back yard and I couldn't find her.
Put pics/reward in the newspaper.
A week late a lady calls me and says her neighbor has the dog.
I go to her neighbors and my dog comes running to greet me.
The guy (lawyer) says , "If she ran away you must have been abusing her and how do I know she is yours anyways?"

Calmly :x I show him pics of my dog and tell him I will call the Police if necessary.
He changes his tune.
I thank him and offer him the reward- $500.00 ( I know but I just wanted to get out of there.)
He says " Oh no , I wouldn't take a reward, but you can pay me for the vet bill."

"?????? What happened? " I said.

"Her paw had the skin torn off."

"How much was the bill?"

....drum roll .................."Oh it was $500.00"

I gave the money and escaped.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Fri May 10, 2013 7:05 am

My back yard is against a walking trail... At 1130 pm two guys walk up to my fence and slow down, I make sure they can see me in my house with my shotgun watching them and call my dog in. I would feel very sorry if someone was to jump my fence to steal a $1000 dog.... That would be robbery or over the $950 min for felony theft.

Also should know that the cops won't consider how much its worth but what you paid for is the amount that determines the crime.

JIM K

Post by JIM K » Fri May 10, 2013 12:25 pm

a lot of my friends are installing a camera in yard that is connected to computer.
if dog is stolen at least you have pic of person.
they dont cost hardly anything and easy to install yourself.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Fri May 10, 2013 3:27 pm

Yep wireless camera connected to the home wireless so you can watch the camera on any internet PC.
mounts to your dogs collar
and will be discarded upon theft of dog. Need one inside dog that is hidden.

deke

Post by deke » Fri May 10, 2013 5:14 pm

I had somebody pick up my dog from infront of my house on the road one day. It was a freak blizzard for where I live and actually got down into the negatives. They thought he was lost and wandering around in the snow. So they picked him up, took him home. The guys kids made the dog hot soup and a warm bed by the fire place. We looked for him for days, and figured he had fallen through some ice and died or someone stole him thinking they could make a buck. About a month after he went missing, I get a phone call from my uncle who lives about five miles away, telling me that his neighbor has a dog that looks exactly like my old dog. So I hop in my truck and head to my uncles not expecting much. As soon as I shut my door and start talking to my uncle, I hear the dog go nuts inside this guys house, so I walked over and peeked through the windows. There was Gunner, dressed up in a sweater, barking at the window. I waited till the guy got home and walked over and asked him about the dog. He told me the whole story, about how the dog was lost in the snow, where they saw it, how his kids are so excited to have a dog. And then he slowly realized why I knew so much about the dog. His kids were devestated when he told them. And i actually offered to leave him if they wanted, but they both said that he was my dog and i should have him. I offered the guy a wad of cash, he said no. I offered to pay for the food the dog ate while he was there, he said no. To this day I run into that family and they always recognize me, we stop and talk, I show them pictures of gunner, and we laugh about how the new puppy torments the now old man. What I am trying to say is, not all people are bad, and not every time a dog goes missing did it get stolen. Sometimes freak things happen that look bad. I got my dog back on a lucky roll of the dice.