Thought it was weird

millerms06

Thought it was weird

Post by millerms06 » Sat May 04, 2013 12:15 pm

1. Running order for a field trial produced mid week.
2. The first stake of the trial had a female labeled "in season", we will say dog "A", and was scheduled to run in one of the last braces of the morning.
3. Handler of a different dog, dog "B" for the afternoon stake politely informs field trial secretary at the day of the trial his dog just showed signs of coming into heat that morning.
4. They come to consensus dog "B" cannot run and gives the handler his registration money back.

Sound odd to you? FYI they were overheard saying, "Well then we will have to scratch the female already listed as in season currently on the running order." Not sure if they did or did not.

I am sure that there are clubs that put on a respectable and moral binding trial, and if there are this post is not intended to include you with the above situation.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Thought it was weird

Post by Sharon » Sat May 04, 2013 1:45 pm

Our Club will run females in heat if they can be run at the end of the whole trial weekend. If the stake wanted is on Saturday , and other stakes are being held on Sunday , the bitch can not run on Sat.
( one course only being used).
Owners of dogs in heat have to park far from the trial venue.

Everyone knows that females in heat really should stay home. I had a female come into heat the morning of my stake ; I left the grounds. I have known owners to "plug up" the opening with vaseline, but as far as I am concerned that shows no respect for the sport as it puts a male dog at a great disadvantage, which is anything but fair.

PS Even running two females together at the end of say Sat. leaves too much scent on the ground for Sunday.
Last edited by Sharon on Sat May 04, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sat May 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Sharon I agree with you. I just thought it was weird for a club to accept one female to run and not the other on the first day of the trial. Mind you dog "A" was labeled on the official running order as "in season" and already accepted to run on the first day.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat May 04, 2013 3:29 pm

Maybe listing the dog as "in season" means that it was scratched after they already entered her and obviously the draw was completed. Since you dont know if the dog ran or not, Im not sure how to judge how the club actually handled it. Maybe the dog was in season for some time and would be out by the time of the trial and the owner/ handler was giving notice. Did anyone who ran in later braces complain?

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sat May 04, 2013 4:01 pm

Nobody that I knew complained about the other dog running. The dog listed as in season was not scratched prior to the start of the field trial or when I arrived. The dog listed on the running order as "in season" was expected to run, but was considered to be scratched shortly after the other female in a different stake on the same day showed signs of coming into heat as expressed by its owner. Again two separate dogs, one displaying acceptance and the other rejection, with the same circumstances used in the decision to either let them run or forfeit.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sat May 04, 2013 5:05 pm

But you stated that you dont know if "dog A" ran? That should be easy to find out and has a huge factor on how the trial should be judged. Maybe im confused, which is a big chance. :D

Birddog3412

Post by Birddog3412 » Sat May 04, 2013 7:40 pm

If they were both braced with other females it shouldn't have been an issue. I assume dog A was braced with a female since she was labeled in season......how bout dog b?

I had a situation last fall where I called in my entry on Wednesday, on Friday before the trial i noticed swelling. Saturday morning I told the guy running the trial because I thought she was running against a male named Billy, he said if he shows interest in her then you will have to pick her up. Turned out I was running against a female named Milly and there was no issue.

The point is dog A being listed as in season was probably braced with a female. If dog b was braced with a male there could have been issues.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sat May 04, 2013 9:39 pm

The justification to not let dog B run was "before another stake can run we need to let the field rest for 24 hours if we let a dog in season run." They slated to run three stakes on the first day. The option of bracing dog b up with a female or run it as a bye dog was brought up, but they seemed concerned with the male running with the other females for some reason, and insisted they would not accommodate. What other dog was braced with the two dogs in season isn't really the issue, it is initially accepting one to officially run before the trial started and then denying another at the trial.

millerms06

Post by millerms06 » Sat May 04, 2013 10:01 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:But you stated that you dont know if "dog A" ran? That should be easy to find out and has a huge factor on how the trial should be judged. Maybe im confused, which is a big chance. :D
Yes it will be easy. I will keep you posted.