Any of you working dogs?

SetterNut

Any of you working dogs?

Post by SetterNut » Sat May 25, 2013 8:22 pm

Haven't seen much in the way of people posting about working their dogs.

It's getting to be a little too warm to do a lot of work, but I have the dogs jump in the pond, and they are good for a while.
I took my two out yesterday for some work and fun, since I was gone all week on a trip for work.

I was really pleased with how both of them did yesterday. Both of them were standing thru the shot. Its fun to see them learn that they are not to go anywhere until I release them. A little more work with pigeons and then there should be some quail available to get them full broke.

So lets see what you and your dogs are up to.

asc

Re: Any of you working dogs?

Post by asc » Sat May 25, 2013 8:42 pm

Very nice.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat May 25, 2013 9:14 pm

Awesome looking setters!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Charlie

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Sat May 25, 2013 9:51 pm

I need to take my camera training. The only pictures I have of training are the ones other people have taken. I'm always thinking, "That would be a great picture."

A week or so ago, I was romping all five of our dogs (two red setters, one young brittany, and two labs). When I take all of them at the same time, I want the labs to "stay close" - same quartering distance as when we're hunting. The pointy dogs should be "out there" also like when we're hunting. My red guy, Robert, was straight out in the front when he goes on a point. I slowed down to see what would happen. His mother, Ruby, who was off to the left turned back our direction and spotted Robert, stopped, and honored his point. As he came over the rise from the same direction Ruby had been, Seven, our young brittany spotted Ruby and maybe saw Robert, too, and he slowed down and I was happy to see him stop and honor, too. Meanwhile the labs who had their noses in the long grass as they quartered back and forth in front of me both spotted the other dogs on point. They "knew" they should stop and they actually started to sit. Then, both of them changed their mind and charged ahead in hopes of busting a bird. I called out "Wup!" And, they both sat. As I waited to see if the labs would behave, that's when I thought, "This would be a great picture."

I walked toward where Robert was standing. I walked back and forth trying to find what he was pointing. It's not like there are any wild birds at these training grounds and the pro was gone. Then, I found it, an empty bird basket forgotten by the trainer. I don't know if this is good or bad - that Robert would point an "empty" bird basket! He's always had a good nose and I truly can't remember him ever pointing anything except birds. But, the "picture" still would have been fun to have. Maybe I'll try and recreate the scene and take a picture. But, this time, I think I'll have a bird in a bird basket.

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Sun May 26, 2013 4:59 am

That is nice! Luv dogs that look that good on backs

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sun May 26, 2013 7:23 am

PntrRookie
GDF Junkie

Post by PntrRookie » Sun May 26, 2013 7:23 am

hill

Post by hill » Sun May 26, 2013 8:37 am

I don't have any pics but I've been working on steady to wing and shot for a couple of weeks now. It's been going well but man it's hot. Instead of working 15 - 20 minutes then 10 minutes on the CG, I've been working 10 minutes then 20 minutes on the CG. I've also been doing most of the work first thing in the morning and late in the evening with plenty of water. Great pics everyone, I'll have to start carrying my camera during some training.

jarbo03

Post by jarbo03 » Sun May 26, 2013 10:58 am

Been doing a little retrieving now and then. Need to get busy with steady to wing and shot, hope to run NAVHDA utility test this fall.

uploadfromtaptalk1369587394964.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1369587428177.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1369587458680.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mudhunter

Post by mudhunter » Sun May 26, 2013 11:29 am

Train Year round!
A picture from yesterday.

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Sun May 26, 2013 11:37 am

Nice pics!

Aside from the weather it has been a great spring working dogs.
We have been working our youngest pup Olive in the field and the water:
warm march day 004.jpg
Our oldest dog Lincoln has also been doing a nice job with his field work:

And it has been especially fun to work with some of Lincoln's pups (and their owners):
on point may 1_finn v1.jpg
Capone 10 months_point v1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Sun May 26, 2013 1:11 pm

I had a Gordon that was a special dog, and I never took the time to take pictures of her on point. Not one picture of one of the best dogs I will ever have. That will never happen age, I have more pictures of my dogs than I do of my kids growing up :lol:

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Mon May 27, 2013 9:33 am

Since the birds are nesting, nearly all game and fish do not allow dog training from April to August.

topher40
GDF Junkie

Post by topher40 » Mon May 27, 2013 9:35 am

Nice pics and even better looking dogs Setternut!

SetterNut

Post by SetterNut » Mon May 27, 2013 7:28 pm

topher40 wrote:Nice pics and even better looking dogs Setternut!
Thanks I really like them.

Neil wrote:Since the birds are nesting, nearly all game and fish do not allow dog training from April to August.
Right now I am using pigeons, in a couple of months we will be able to buy a few quail for training, then in late summer the quail will be big enough to work the dogs on.