Mocrochip?

Double Shot Banks

Mocrochip?

Post by Double Shot Banks » Mon May 27, 2013 6:53 pm

Hello.
Getting banks neutered soon, not sure if i want to microchip him as well? its $45 here in town, and i know its good but when is it really useful?
Has it ever been useful to you?
Isaac and Banks

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Mocrochip?

Post by RoostersMom » Mon May 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Isaac,

There was an entire post on this just a short time ago. Seems to me that most do believe in microchipping. I have seen it work very well in emergency situations (in the Joplin MO tornado) and when dogs have been lost and were returned because of the chip. No negatives that I know of. Our 9 dogs are chipped.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue May 28, 2013 9:35 am

RoostersMom wrote:Isaac,

There was an entire post on this just a short time ago. Seems to me that most do believe in microchipping. I have seen it work very well in emergency situations (in the Joplin MO tornado) and when dogs have been lost and were returned because of the chip. No negatives that I know of. Our 9 dogs are chipped.
This.

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Tue May 28, 2013 9:46 am

I say do it. He's already making the vet trip and it's only $45. If it were more expensive I could see thinking about it a little more but $45 bucks is nothing for something that could possibly help you get your dog back someday.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Tue May 28, 2013 11:37 am

I microchip my pups and have microcipped some other peoples dogs and yes I have gotten dogs back to owners when the dogs got out
I also know of a guy who went training his dog went over the hill and got picked up by someone who took the dog..there was information on the collar of the owner anyway long story short about 8 months later the original owner gets a call because the dog had escaped and got picked up by animal control and scanned ...that little microchip got the dog back to the rightful owner

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Tue May 28, 2013 2:11 pm

The Micro chip is great. I use Home Again. I recently moved and was able to update my new address and phone numbers alternate contacts and new vet information all online as well as a picture of my dog. 45 bucks well spent.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue May 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Can they use it to track a dog? or does is it only for id
Isaac and Banks

ruffbritt4

Post by ruffbritt4 » Tue May 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:Can they use it to track a dog? or does is it only for id
Isaac and Banks
They use it for I.D if a lost dog is found.

jwnissen

Post by jwnissen » Tue May 28, 2013 4:57 pm

they use a scanner and run it over the chip to get the info. Ask yourself this, is you dog only worth less than $45.00? If yes then dont get a chip, if yes, as im guessing you response will be, then chip the dog. Consider it an insurance policy in case the dog is stolen or runs away. $45 really isnt that much money. Just my opinion.

John

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue May 28, 2013 5:36 pm

45 dollars isn't that much unless you don't have 45 dollars.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Tue May 28, 2013 7:05 pm

From the vet, I doubt the $45.00 covers the enrollment fee, I would think it is for the chip and insertion. A number of dog supply companies sell them for 15 bucks or so for diy folks, no harder than giving a vaccination. You need to check. Every dog I have owned since the '90s has had one. It is a must.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Tue May 28, 2013 7:27 pm

Neil wrote:From the vet, I doubt the $45.00 covers the enrollment fee, I would think it is for the chip and insertion. A number of dog supply companies sell them for 15 bucks or so for diy folks, no harder than giving a vaccination. You need to check. Every dog I have owned since the '90s has had one. It is a must.
my aunt works there, $45 with a nueter cost.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue May 28, 2013 7:53 pm

Home again charges $19.95 to list your info in its nationwide database. Just because a Vet installed a chip does nothing more then give you a number that you can use to sign the dog up. Most Vets charge around $45 for the cost of the chip and their labor.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed May 29, 2013 5:55 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Home again charges $19.95 to list your info in its nationwide database. Just because a Vet installed a chip does nothing more then give you a number that you can use to sign the dog up. Most Vets charge around $45 for the cost of the chip and their labor.
I'm pretty sure ill be doing the chip, ill let you all know what the cost is.
Isaac and Banks

Doc E

Post by Doc E » Wed May 29, 2013 6:42 am

Double Shot Banks wrote:Hello.
Getting banks neutered soon,
Isaac and Banks
How soon ?

I'd definitely NOT have him snipped before he is 14 months old.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed May 29, 2013 9:10 am

Double Shot Banks wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:Home again charges $19.95 to list your info in its nationwide database. Just because a Vet installed a chip does nothing more then give you a number that you can use to sign the dog up. Most Vets charge around $45 for the cost of the chip and their labor.
I'm pretty sure ill be doing the chip, ill let you all know what the cost is.

Isaac and Banks
Once you have it installed go onto Home Agains site. create an account, enter the number and see what comes up. Ive known several people that think its automatically registered only to find out that no info is associated with that number.

Your sister working there may change the price but every Vet that I have gone to charges $45 just for the install. Afterall, how would they know which registry you want to use.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed May 29, 2013 9:52 am

The only point that I'm trying to make is that many people think they pay a one time charge of $45 dollars and the dog is automatically registered for life. Everyone should go on whatever service they use and check their dogs status. Some chips will wear out and cant be read so have your Vet scan the dog annually or when you take it in to check on that end.

Also keep addresses and phone numbers current. I have a Vizsla that I just found out would have been shipped back to Cali because records were not updated and I know that my EX (who's account he was on) would have taken the call and put him on a plane to her.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed May 29, 2013 2:09 pm

Doc E wrote:
Double Shot Banks wrote:Hello.
Getting banks neutered soon,
Isaac and Banks
How soon ?

I'd definitely NOT have him snipped before he is 14 months old.

for sure sooner than 14 months, probably within weeks
Isaac and Banks

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed May 29, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm not being critical but what is the big hurry in getting him neutered?

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Wed May 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I'm not being critical but what is the big hurry in getting him neutered?
are you talking to me or doc?
I want him nuetered before he starts spraying everything, but really now hurry. Never heard of the 14 month rule

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed May 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Double Shot Banks wrote:
Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I'm not being critical but what is the big hurry in getting him neutered?
are you talking to me or doc?
I want him nuetered before he starts spraying everything, but really now hurry. Never heard of the 14 month rule
I was actually addressing both because I would'nt even consider it before 18 months and 24 months would be better for me.

Then again, I personally would not do it to any of my males at any age unless it was for a medical reason so take that for what its worth.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed May 29, 2013 8:31 pm

We charge $38 and our chips are registered with Home Again. All the notifications and changes are what you pay for after the first year. For $45, the chip will be registered, I'm sure.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu May 30, 2013 12:00 pm

Train him not to hike his leg...

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu May 30, 2013 12:21 pm

displaced_texan wrote:Train him not to hike his leg...

^^^This! Neutering doesn't 'fix' behavior issues. Training does.

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Thu May 30, 2013 6:01 pm

displaced_texan wrote:Train him not to hike his leg...
Our vet said that if he is nuetered before he starts lifting his leg he wont do it much or at all.
He hasnt yet. i guess i dont want him marking every stick and leave in the field.
Mostly i dont want puppies
Isaac and Banks

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 pm

All Dad's have been neutered before they start, they all hike like crazy. Mine is unaltered, almost never hikes his leg.

Training is what fixes behavioral issues.

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu May 30, 2013 6:43 pm

I guess since being around dogs for 65 years now, i do not see a problem with leg lifting. They got to eliminate somewhere/sometime.

I understand the neuter/spay thing, I really do, but I have never seen it alter behavior like it does with horses.

Health reasons - YES, behavior - NO.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu May 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Neil wrote:I guess since being around dogs for 65 years now, i do not see a problem with leg lifting. They got to eliminate somewhere/sometime.

I understand the neuter/spay thing, I really do, but I have never seen it alter behavior like it does with horses.

Health reasons - YES, behavior - NO.
I did it just to see if I could.

If a dog is to busy peeing to hunt, you have bigger issues with the dog...

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu May 30, 2013 6:53 pm

X2 on keeping info current. I brang in two of my dogs for their puppy account, paid for all their shots, misc vet bills etc.. Then break up with my girlfriend. I needed a rabies cert to take themacross the border to a trial. They wouldn't without her permission because they were in her name, didn't matter that I bought the dogs, paid the vet bills, had breeder contracts in my name etc.. Without her permission I would have had to get their shots over again, even though they knew they didn't need them. Since the vet did the paperwork for the microchips "I paid for" I also had to get the ex to call the microchip people to allow me to put the correct address on my own dogs I paid to microchip.

Anyways enough ranting

As for the lifting the leg, I had a dog that was neutered at 10 weeks (rescue) he started lifting his leg later in life than an unaltered dog, but from then on did it just as often. I have seen a lot of rescues neutered early, to be honest I am not sure I have met a dog that didn't lime marking, male or female.

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Thu May 30, 2013 7:23 pm

Winchey wrote:X2 on keeping info current. I brang in two of my dogs for their puppy account, paid for all their shots, misc vet bills etc.. Then break up with my girlfriend. I needed a rabies cert to take themacross the border to a trial. They wouldn't without her permission because they were in her name, didn't matter that I bought the dogs, paid the vet bills, had breeder contracts in my name etc.. Without her permission I would have had to get their shots over again, even though they knew they didn't need them. Since the vet did the paperwork for the microchips "I paid for" I also had to get the ex to call the microchip people to allow me to put the correct address on my own dogs I paid to microchip.
If it makes you feel any better, I know a guy that lost a great dog that way, because he registered him in his wife's name. /threadjack

Winchey

Post by Winchey » Thu May 30, 2013 7:33 pm

Women lol. I lost one dog out of it, not that any of my dogs are any good, but I still like them lol.