Sending my spoiled Brit to the trainer

ScottE

Sending my spoiled Brit to the trainer

Post by ScottE » Thu May 30, 2013 6:05 am

My Brit is just over 6 months old now and will be going to Almost Heaven GSPs on Saturday for a month of training. He's a house dog and has a very cushy life thanks to his parents. Just worried how he'll make the transition to being in a kennel and of course I'm worried about separation anxiety. He's never been away from us for more than 5 hours at a time.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Re: Sending my spoiled Brit to the trainer

Post by ultracarry » Thu May 30, 2013 7:01 am

Send him for the summer. Can't expect anything when it will take two + weeks for him to get acclimated..... Will be the best thing you ever did.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu May 30, 2013 7:18 am

I wouldn't worry about separation anxiety - you won't have to listen to him lol.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Thu May 30, 2013 7:41 am

I am curious as to what you expect for only 1 month at a trainers? specially for a pup....Is this just a introduction to things prepping a pup for future training?

jimbo&rooster

Post by jimbo&rooster » Thu May 30, 2013 8:42 am

I would imagine that your pup will be in good hands with Bruce, Jen, and the girls. My boy was with them for 5mo, and he took to it very well.

Jim

ScottE

Post by ScottE » Thu May 30, 2013 9:05 am

I was originally thinking about sending him for longer. But the trainer said he wanted to take him for a month and if he needed more time to work with him we would do more time. He said he can do a lot in a month so we'll see.

jetjockey

Post by jetjockey » Thu May 30, 2013 9:48 am

Don't get too excited about how much the trainer can get done, especially with a 6 month old pup. Once the pup hits about a year old is when you can typically start the serious training. I'd say it will take 3 months or more to get anything g serious accomplished.

deke

Post by deke » Thu May 30, 2013 10:41 am

I was worried about the same thing. My lab was a lazy couch hog, who would never even think about leaving my side. Then we sent him to a trainer for a month. He came out a completely different dog, new attitude, way leaner, and much more drive. You will be impressed I am sure.

Brittguy

Post by Brittguy » Thu May 30, 2013 1:46 pm

Think of it as summer camp. He will have fun with birds

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Thu May 30, 2013 2:17 pm

It's good for them to suck it up and tough it out. We don't do our dogs any favors by making their lives all cushy 24/7/365. Learning about chain gangs, kennels, working when they aren't inclined to, no special treats, getting hosed for barking too much, and not being someone's Little Darling teaches them valuable lessons and makes them much better companions when they come home. What kind of fun is a dog with separation anxiety, or which needs things just so in order to function? Not much! :lol:

Good luck with your pup and best wishes that he turns into the kind of birddog you've always wanted :D

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Thu May 30, 2013 4:34 pm

Not to worry, he will be fine, and the trainer will let you know if he needs more time at his age.