Crate Training: When will it end!

ROTTnBRITT

Crate Training: When will it end!

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:07 am

I've never had a barker or a whiner before. My new pups has changed that. He will be 5 mo old next week and is still barking his head off when I crate him. Yeh, he settles down after 10-20 mins. but it would be nice if he would just go quietly. I would think he would have accepted it by now though.
I only let him out when he is quiet. In the morning he hears my alarm go off and whines a little bit before I get to him, but all other times I make sure to wait till he is quiet.

He will eventually accept it right? :)

Karen
GDF Junkie

Re: Crate Training: When will it end!

Post by Karen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:34 am

Do you feed him in his crate?

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:50 am

No, I don't.
Should I try that?
He doesnt refuse to go in the crate, just doesn't like to be left there.

Karen
GDF Junkie

Post by Karen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:00 pm

It's worth a try. We always feed in crates, and I think it helps reinforce that the crate is a good place to be.

MikeB

Post by MikeB » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:55 pm

Some dogs hate confinement. When you put your pup in the crate I would also put in a food stuffed KONG toy. Should help the anxiety. You can also try using a few drops of Rescue Remedy on his tounge. Google Rescue Remedy for more info.

Redfishrick

Post by Redfishrick » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:08 pm

My vet told me to freeze Peanut butter in the Kong toy. Will make it last a lot longer

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:22 pm

ROTTnBRITT wrote:He will eventually accept it right?
It's my belief he will eventually accept it if you stay the course. I also believe that how quickly he will accept it is relative to many other things in his/her environment. In most "puppy start" videos and programs, some mention is made about young dogs learning to handle stress and restrictions. In Huntsmith for example the chaingang and hands on work on a training table teach a dog that the world is not always as they will it to be...and they do it without correction.

Most of the time in my life with dogs, those that are the worst in these cases are likely to be...well, for lack of a better way to say this,,,spoiled. Spoiled, and not of the doggy personality to handle it. They get to hang out on top of people on beds, furniture, in the car, etc... They are given treats for breathing and looking cute. I am not suggesting this is the way with your pup, but in some other scenarios that I have intimate knowledge of, this was the case. The owners too often isolated a behavior that was related to a bigger picture, and had all kinds of justification for it. My favorite of course being, " I have had dogs my whole life (4 of them) and none of them were like this."

My response is that's probably true. again, please don't believe that i am judging your situation, but it may be something to chew on.

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Chukar12, that's the post of the week! :D

Dogs learn to do what works for them. If he's still carrying on in his crate at 5 months, he's doing something right.

To the OP, if that was my pup at five months old, he'd be placed in the crate with no kongs, treat, or toys and be expected to stay there quietly until released. If he didn't learn to be still by being ignored, I'd be there shaking that crate so he thought he was gonna die in the Mother of All Earthquakes. Then he'd stay there a while yet. I'd do some practice sessions when you could be around to monitor, and after the dog had been out to take care of business, just to be fair 8)

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:45 pm

Chukar,
I mostly understand what you are saying. Definately not the case. Im not sure what you mean by isolated behavoir though.
I have been following the huntsmith puppy video. Not to a T but same princible. I use a work bench insteady of the fance table, he has been on the chain gang a handful times and he walks on a lead nicely. I make/wait for him to stop and stand before and rewards such as feeding, unhooking lead and chain, going out the door and getting out of the crate.

After being at home with him tonight, it dawned on me that it is only at work when he protests. He is usually good at home when we are eatting dinner and at bath and bed time for the kids. Tonight he hasnt made a sound.
During the day he goes in at 8, let out at 10, again at noon with a short walk in the fields, let out at 3 and then we leave at 5.
Today seemed extremely bad, which prompted this post. Seemed like every hour he was carying on. He would quiet down after about 10 - 15 mins. Most times it is triggered by me in my office working on the computer. But today I was out in the shop all day. So I dont know what his problem was.

Thanks for the responces

Munster

Post by Munster » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:37 pm

I used to put the pup in the crate in the car( I have a garage attached) when they whined. I didnt have to hear it. They eventually settled down, life was good.
Also, the dogs learned quickly that crates are good. they get the from the house to the field.
I am not a fan of the "Crate quake". Crates are suppose to be safe places. Why would I want to make them feel unsafe. But, to each their own.

Just stay the coarse. Don let him out first thing in the am when he hears the alarm. Whos training who? LMAO :D :lol:

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:25 pm

Crates are safe places as long as the dog is quiet in there 8) There needs to be consequences to bad behavior for some issues.

ibbowhunting

Post by ibbowhunting » Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:56 am

just a shot in the dark, maybe try leaving him In the crate longer like 8 to noon than noon til 5 maybe the short crate sessions are making him think is barking and whining is working, I know if you have time to let um out that's great, but maybe after hes quiet in the crate always

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:12 pm

How often you putting him in there? Just at night? I found before Jake would stop I had to tough it out and put him in it throughout the day whether we were home or not. Needs to know its just part of life. And don't bother telling him to be quiet, just ignore him (I know it's hard, picture wringing his neck if it helps lmao just kiddin). He'll get it. Took my guy about a month before he stopped. Now he spends a lot of his time in there.

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Bark collar.

RCB

Post by RCB » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:47 pm

I also put the crate in my truck in the garage. That way the pup could figure it all on his own without driving me up the wall. Also, putting him in the crate and driving to the field or a park so the pup can have some fun really puts it in perspective for the dog. After a few trips they figure it out and just dive in the crate... I also would throw a small dog biscuit in there the first few times before driving off. Time is your friend here.

deke

Post by deke » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Don't know what to tell you my pup has loved his crate since the day we brought him home. My buddy has to put a blanket over his shorthairs kennel to keep the thing from chewing threw the sides in a fit of rage. So maybe give that a shot?

cmmj63

Post by cmmj63 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:14 pm

+1 on covering the crate. I do it every time now. It makes it much easier IMO.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:55 am

cmmj63 wrote:+1 on covering the crate. I do it every time now. It makes it much easier IMO.
I also keep my dogs' crates covered.

ROTTnBRITT

Post by ROTTnBRITT » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:31 am

So far this week has been going pretty good. He has been silent until I take him out at lunch time. Even with me at my computer. About 3:30-4:00 he seems to get a little ancy. Just some soft whines and maybe 1 or 2 yips.
I got some birds out for him at lunch time and played around with him, then we went up to the pond to cool off. So im assuming he will be quiet until its time to go home. I think he just need to be worn out more. I think taking him out at 10 am, would get him wound up and he wouldn't/ didn't want to settle down when time to go back in the crate. I quit doing that this week, also quit the 3 pm break.

I have been using the blanket at home. That crate is a wire crate, I figure it would be better if he could see everything going on. He does good in the crate at home, but he also isn't in it all day long.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
I think we are making some progress.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:35 pm

Good going :) keep on keeping on. MOST puppies are not super puppies and most have at least 1 if not more issues that are tough to get a handle on. The ones you we think are easy usually just haven issue that don't bother us. But more often there is an issue that you feel like you fight a little.
I do establish a pattern of treats and chew toys in the crate. Some finish and whine some settle. You might try a
"Buster Cube"
Or
"Tug -a-Jug"
I have made some 3" PVC tubes with screw off ends and holes drilled in that can be filled with food, also. They have to roll it around to get food out. These work better in plastic crates so the food pieces do not fall out the wire and drive the dog nuts.

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:56 am

Mine will wine after a few minutes and me may start up when I leave the room but I don't allow freedom in the house until they are older and somewhat more calm. He sleeps in the thing while I'm at work (large wire crate) and at night he gets transfered into the large plastic crate to sleep.
I couldn't imagine raising a gsp or any other hyper dog without one. Just keep with it and one day you will have to think about where the dog is at.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:01 am

ultracarry wrote: I couldn't imagine raising a gsp or any other hyper dog without one. Just keep with it and one day you will have to think about where the dog is at.
I'm with you on that one. My guy goes in throughout the day even when I'm home just to give me a little break and keep my sanity. At almost 6 months he's in the turbo speed mode so the crate doubles as a place for him to calm down and be quiet for a bit.

CDN_Cocker

Post by CDN_Cocker » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:01 am

ultracarry wrote: I couldn't imagine raising a gsp or any other hyper dog without one. Just keep with it and one day you will have to think about where the dog is at.
I'm with you on that one. My guy goes in throughout the day even when I'm home just to give me a little break and keep my sanity. At almost 6 months he's in the turbo speed mode so the crate doubles as a place for him to calm down and be quiet for a bit.

NLsetter

Post by NLsetter » Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:04 pm

Karen wrote:It's worth a try. We always feed in crates, and I think it helps reinforce that the crate is a good place to be.
Yep, I had my new Irish shipped across country and he hated the crate for the first few days here, even though the breeder had them use to crates. A day or two if feeding him in there and giving him treats only in the kennel and no issues. Never ever not even once let him out of the crate if he isnt 100% settled and calm.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:18 pm

Chukar12 wrote:
ROTTnBRITT wrote:He will eventually accept it right?
It's my belief he will eventually accept it if you stay the course. I also believe that how quickly he will accept it is relative to many other things in his/her environment. In most "puppy start" videos and programs, some mention is made about young dogs learning to handle stress and restrictions. In Huntsmith for example the chaingang and hands on work on a training table teach a dog that the world is not always as they will it to be...and they do it without correction.

Most of the time in my life with dogs, those that are the worst in these cases are likely to be...well, for lack of a better way to say this,,,spoiled. Spoiled, and not of the doggy personality to handle it. They get to hang out on top of people on beds, furniture, in the car, etc... They are given treats for breathing and looking cute. I am not suggesting this is the way with your pup, but in some other scenarios that I have intimate knowledge of, this was the case. The owners too often isolated a behavior that was related to a bigger picture, and had all kinds of justification for it. My favorite of course being, " I have had dogs my whole life (4 of them) and none of them were like this."

My response is that's probably true. again, please don't believe that i am judging your situation, but it may be something to chew on.

Excellent post!:)