MI or PA for Grouse?

rapid fire

MI or PA for Grouse?

Post by rapid fire » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:52 pm

I've been to the UP for grouse and it was pretty good, but also 21+ hours away. I can make it to PA in about 14 so was thinking of giving it a try. What do y'all think?

mudhunter

Re: MI or PA for Grouse?

Post by mudhunter » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:53 pm

I live and hunt in PA. We have a healthy grouse population in areas and if you know them well you can do well. BUT if you don't know the area you will struggle to find birds. We have do not have the large scale population like the UP. Take the farther drive.

Mountaineer
GDF Junkie

Post by Mountaineer » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:40 pm

rapid fire wrote:I've been to the UP for grouse and it was pretty good, but also 21+ hours away. I can make it to PA in about 14 so was thinking of giving it a try. What do y'all think?
Depends...upon the position of the UGL grouse cycle.
There is no discernible grouse cycle in the Appalachians tho perhaps the northern tier of Pa appears to come close to mimicking a cycle at times.
So, the grouse cycle would be the first consideration. :idea:

Essentially though, once you get either place, the drive to and from is irrelevant to the day at hand.
I would suggest NC Pa but you will find more than a few mountain folks who are protective rather than informative....sift the info well and do the homework past the message boards.

SHORTFAT

Post by SHORTFAT » Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Try the Alleghany National Forest in McKean, Warren and Forest Counties. If you look on line you can find some large tracts of land owned by paper companies and timber companies that are very good habitat and are open to hunting. The US Forest Service can also provide you with grouse density information and woodcock migration information for the area... But to be honest, living in the ANF, I know you're going to have better hunting in the UP and it's worth the additional drive... IMHO... You may want to check into a limited PA license and hunt for a day or two here on your way... PM me if you decide to come to the area and I may at least be able to point you to some feather friendly timber... my dog is a real clown and if she can find grouse here I bet yours can too!.. :mrgreen: good luck!

northern cajun

Post by northern cajun » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:33 pm

U.P.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:34 am

U.P....I can even rent you a house for a week :)

Reilly Auld

Post by Reilly Auld » Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:12 pm

M1Tanker wrote:U.P....I can even rent you a house for a week :)
If the house has a bath tub I know someone who may rent it for a week or so... is it on the road to Gwinn?