pro-pac dog food

molonlave1

pro-pac dog food

Post by molonlave1 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:11 am

Hi everyone.A quick question on nutrition.Does anyone know of ProPac dog food,any info will be much appreciated?

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: pro-pac dog food

Post by RoostersMom » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:34 am

I've been feeding it for about a year now. My trainer friend turned me on to it. He feeds it to his dogs in training. He likes it a lot. I feed the adult and then switch to higher performance about a month and a half before season starts.

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:43 pm

Carolina Gundogs

Post by Carolina Gundogs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:37 pm

I have come across this web site before also but I need to study it more before I consider using it. My concern is if this is a resource using proven test criteria that has proven to be in line with a performance dogs nutritional needs or only someone with their own opinion.
I ask as I noticed Purina Pro had low ratings. Down in my area, the professionals highly favor it even if they are not sponsored.

brad27

Post by brad27 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:55 pm

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:08 pm

Carolina Gundogs wrote: or only someone with their own opinion.
That's the one. There is ZERO test data and they have ZERO experience with actual working dogs.

Big Dave

Post by Big Dave » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:14 pm

I have been feeding the 26-15 with good results. I will probably go to a higher calorie formula in the fall.

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:19 pm

I dont see any real tests on that site either. Seems like they just like certain ingredients and frown on others like corn

I was surprised Purina Pro Plan was so low too. All the 5 stars are the Grain free foods. I wonder if it's just partly sales and marketing hype?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:11 am

GSP7 wrote:It's just hype?
Fixed it for you.

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:45 am

A lot of people will tell you "Oh, I like this feed," or "I don't think much of that feed," but they can't tell you why other than, "My dogs do good on it." Well, what in the world does that mean? The dog down the road from me is fed 100-percent table scraps and he still looks like a dog, doesn't have any major issues. People say the same thing about Purina and, in my opinion, Purina is a terrible feed compared to other feeds on the market. If you decide to feed Pro-Pac it isn't like it will kill your dog or anything, but it's far from the best on the market. If you look at the ingredients you'll see the first ingredient is a quality ingredient followed by FOUR fillers. Corn, flour, etc. These are things just to take up space so they can mark up the price and make a profit, not so your dog will be nourished.

Like I said, it's not like it's going to kill your dog or anything, but it's far from the best on the market. If money is no object and you really want the best product for your dogs you want something like Blue WIlderness from Blue Buffalo. This is an incredible feed. The first several ingredients include deboned chicken (this is amazing, especially given that it's whole chicken, not just chicken meal), chicken meal, turkey meal, peas (a lot of people think foliage has no place in a dog's diet, but what they don't know is that dog's aren't carnivores, they're omnivores - their body is built to run on meat and foliage). This feed even has blueberries and cranberries in it. I think it's safe to say the feed is not built around fillers!

I was feeding Wilderness for awhile, but I keep my dogs on free feed and it just got too expensive. I will go back to it if my budget ever allows.

Just my two cents worth.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:41 am

Stoneface wrote:A lot of people will tell you "Oh, I like this feed," or "I don't think much of that feed," but they can't tell you why other than, "My dogs do good on it." Well, what in the world does that mean? The dog down the road from me is fed 100-percent table scraps and he still looks like a dog, doesn't have any major issues. People say the same thing about Purina and, in my opinion, Purina is a terrible feed compared to other feeds on the market. If you decide to feed Pro-Pac it isn't like it will kill your dog or anything, but it's far from the best on the market. If you look at the ingredients you'll see the first ingredient is a quality ingredient followed by FOUR fillers. Corn, flour, etc. These are things just to take up space so they can mark up the price and make a profit, not so your dog will be nourished.

Like I said, it's not like it's going to kill your dog or anything, but it's far from the best on the market. If money is no object and you really want the best product for your dogs you want something like Blue WIlderness from Blue Buffalo. This is an incredible feed. The first several ingredients include deboned chicken (this is amazing, especially given that it's whole chicken, not just chicken meal), chicken meal, turkey meal, peas (a lot of people think foliage has no place in a dog's diet, but what they don't know is that dog's aren't carnivores, they're omnivores - their body is built to run on meat and foliage). This feed even has blueberries and cranberries in it. I think it's safe to say the feed is not built around fillers!

I was feeding Wilderness for awhile, but I keep my dogs on free feed and it just got too expensive. I will go back to it if my budget ever allows.

Just my two cents worth.
You seem to be as out of touch as the author of that sheet in your nutrition knowledge.

Ezzy

RickB

Post by RickB » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 am

ezzy333 wrote:You seem to be as out of touch as the author of that sheet in your nutrition knowledge.

Ezzy
Why did you bother wasting the electrons to write this. You tell the guy he's wrong but you don't bother to explain why. It is like experiencing the high logic of two 5 year-olds debate:
"is not"
"is too"
"is not"

Stoneface: a couple of things.
1) whole chicken is not inherently better than chicken meal. All chicken meal is is ground up chicken jerky. they list things by weight, so, when you add whole chicken, it is still wet. When it gets cooked and dried to make kibble, its presence by weight is much lower. Given the choice of seeing chicken or meal, I'll take the meal because you get more protein, fat, and everything that is good about chicken.

2) You argue that dogs are omnivores. I agree. Since they are omnivores, why do you consider grains as "filler" rather than food?

I'm not saying that you are wrong. It is just that I want to demonstrate a good example of discourse.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 am

RickB - if you are interested in discourse, countering a uninformed, biased, emotional rhetoric is unlikely to get you that.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:18 am

slistoe wrote:RickB - if you are interested in discourse, countering a uninformed, biased, emotional rhetoric is unlikely to get you that.
Amen, I didn't have the time or patience to list point by point what is wrong with either and if I had it would not have made much difference since the argument is based on a lack of knowledge or understanding of nutritional basics.

Ezzy

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:02 pm

There is nothing wrong with some corn in a food from a nutritional standpoint, rather it is a dangerous grain due to aflatoxins. They are allowing the blending of high aflatoxin corn so it is just a matter of time before the bomb goes off.

I stay away because of that reason and the fact that I won't feed genetically modified ingredients and the corn crop in the US is almost entirely GMO now. All the sugar beets now are and soon all the alfalfa will be as well, which worries me the most.

The Blue Wilderness is a good food and there are many like it that simply use better, safer ingredients, and make the foods in much better plants, its just that some people won't pay that much to feed a dog and I respect that.

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:17 pm

Pro Pac is a company. They make a lot of foods. Dogfoodadvisor.com is a dentist with an agenda. Foliage is normally consumed by browsers, not opportunistic omnivores. Most dogs do well on most foods. I have over two thousand bags to choose from on any given day and never seem to have any qualms about loading up the same thing I've fed for years. Top pick for great ingredients in a performance food - Canidae. I don't feed it.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:19 pm

MonsterDad wrote:There is nothing wrong with some corn in a food from a nutritional standpoint, rather it is a dangerous grain due to aflatoxins. They are allowing the blending of high aflatoxin corn so it is just a matter of time before the bomb goes off.

I stay away because of that reason and the fact that I won't feed genetically modified ingredients and the corn crop in the US is almost entirely GMO now. All the sugar beets now are and soon all the alfalfa will be as well, which worries me the most.

The Blue Wilderness is a good food and there are many like it that simply use better, safer ingredients, and make the foods in much better plants, its just that some people won't pay that much to feed a dog and I respect that.
You have seen very very few plants that are used for food that aren't genetically modified and have been long before you were alive. All you are talking about is the method used to modify them. Luckily we have found faster ways to do it than what we have used for years.

To explain a point you are making about aflatoxin. Corn or any other grain that is aflatoxin positive is used and not thrown away and wasted. Many animals are completely tolerant of low levels of aflatoxin so we have blended any positive grain with clean grain for those animals. For instance, cattle and hogs have a reasonable tolerance so we use those grains in those feeds. It is not blended into pet or horse feeds because those animals are more sensitive to the mold. But in probably even those cases they are lowering the level to the level most all animals would be OK with it.

You also might find out that since most ingredients are bought off of the open market and come from a limited number of suppliers which severely limits the concept of one company using better ingredients than others that use the same product. And as far as the plants that are used to manufacture the feeds in have to pass the same test as all of the rest before they would be allowed to manufacture a product. And as further proof the product they manufacture is tested to insure it is exactly what is listed on all guarantees that are published on the container as well as other places.

The whole concept of GMO modified plants being a health hazard is basically non-existant today just as it has been since beginning of time. That is why they can't tell the difference without testing in a lab.

Again I will say feed whatever works for you but trying to downgrade products you don't use or like is wrong. There are thousands of good feeds on the market and very few that aren't and none that won't allow your dog to be healthy when fed a product.

Ezzy

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jun 26, 2013 2:16 pm

Ooooh, you are going to go into the GMO territory Ezzy!!!!

GSP7

Post by GSP7 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:47 pm

Cajun Casey wrote:...........Top pick for great ingredients in a performance food - Canidae. I don't feed it.
...??

I have fed Canidae for at least 15 years. I like the ingredients even lately after re-comparing it to some other new foods. Our feed stores have always had a lot of it in stock at good prices too. Ive been trying out and using at Blue Buffalo senior and Wellness senior for my old guy . I Was thinking of switching for my new dogs, but I think Canidae is still a real good choice

Cajun Casey
GDF Junkie

Post by Cajun Casey » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:50 pm

GSP7 wrote:
Cajun Casey wrote:...........Top pick for great ingredients in a performance food - Canidae. I don't feed it.
...??

I have fed Canidae for at least 15 years. I like the ingredients even lately after re-comparing it to some other new foods. Our feed stores have always had a lot of it in stock at good prices too. Ive been trying out and using at Blue Buffalo senior and Wellness senior for my old guy . I Was thinking of switching for my new dogs, but I think Canidae is still a real good choice
I sell dog food, but I am not spending that much on my derelicts. :)

Stoneface

Post by Stoneface » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:52 pm

Ezzy, you have got to be one of the most ignorant, beligerent people I've ever had the displeasure of reading in my life. Every time I read another one of your retarded remarks it depresses me because those are precious moments of life that have totally been wasted and are gone forever. I feel like I should be allowed to sue you for damages or something. (Sorry for any typos, it seems like I get less intelligent and capable with every post of your's I read.) What's funniest about your opinions is that they leave no room for any error. Couldn't be that you're wrong or at least not TOTALLY informed and educated on any subject. No, no, no. You know it all; just ask you. And there can be nothing else with even an ounce of validity to it. Disagree with Ezzy and feel his wrath. You ought to try treating other people with a little dignity.

Rick, I don't have a problem with grains in a feed, but don't like it all bunched up and bottle-necked at the front. A little flour or some other wholesome grain is okay, but not four out of five of the first ingredients. Just like I would be in poor shape if I ate bread and pasta all day long with a slice of lunch meat at the end of the day. It needs to be balanced. I knew the ingredients were listed in order on the bag by "amount," but didn't know how the "amount" was measured. Makes sense that a manufacturer would drop in a mass of wet chicken knowing it would come up high in proportion to other ingredients. Still, with regard to Blue WIlderness, even if you took the first ingredient entirely out you still have a great mix and balance of ingredients.

Rick, what do you feed?

MonsterDad

Post by MonsterDad » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:16 pm

Stoneface wrote:Ezzy, you have got to be one of the most ignorant, beligerent people I've ever had the displeasure of reading in my life. Every time I read another one of your retarded remarks it depresses me because those are precious moments of life that have totally been wasted and are gone forever. I feel like I should be allowed to sue you for damages or something. (Sorry for any typos, it seems like I get less intelligent and capable with every post of your's I read.) What's funniest about your opinions is that they leave no room for any error. Couldn't be that you're wrong or at least not TOTALLY informed and educated on any subject. No, no, no. You know it all; just ask you. And there can be nothing else with even an ounce of validity to it. Disagree with Ezzy and feel his wrath. You ought to try treating other people with a little dignity.

Rick, I don't have a problem with grains in a feed, but don't like it all bunched up and bottle-necked at the front. A little flour or some other wholesome grain is okay, but not four out of five of the first ingredients. Just like I would be in poor shape if I ate bread and pasta all day long with a slice of lunch meat at the end of the day. It needs to be balanced. I knew the ingredients were listed in order on the bag by "amount," but didn't know how the "amount" was measured. Makes sense that a manufacturer would drop in a mass of wet chicken knowing it would come up high in proportion to other ingredients. Still, with regard to Blue WIlderness, even if you took the first ingredient entirely out you still have a great mix and balance of ingredients.

Rick, what do you feed?

He is really smart and experienced but naive. The GMO trend is very much a downtrend globally. Thank god there are countries like France, Italy, Serbia and Hungary that are leading the world on this issue. Only here GMO cultivation is viewed as a blessing and only by industry where the dollars count.

He may not be aware of all the new rules being imposed by countries that will eventually do away with these crops over the coming years.

http://now.msn.com/hungary-burns-1000-a ... corn-crops

As for alflatoxin risk, he knows darn well that toxin can't be contained very well and cross-contamination to pet food storage is very easy.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:36 pm

Stoneface wrote:Ezzy, you have got to be one of the most ignorant, beligerent people I've ever had the displeasure of reading in my life. Every time I read another one of your retarded remarks it depresses me because those are precious moments of life that have totally been wasted and are gone forever. I feel like I should be allowed to sue you for damages or something. (Sorry for any typos, it seems like I get less intelligent and capable with every post of your's I read.) What's funniest about your opinions is that they leave no room for any error. Couldn't be that you're wrong or at least not TOTALLY informed and educated on any subject. No, no, no. You know it all; just ask you. And there can be nothing else with even an ounce of validity to it. Disagree with Ezzy and feel his wrath. You ought to try treating other people with a little dignity.

Rick, what do you feed?
Stoneface,

Please don't read this as it may be the very thing that drove you over the wall. Sounds like you are tottering on the edge already. I am not sure what the difference would be of having 500 pounds of flour(Which is not an ingredient used in dog food normally) compared to 100 pounds of five different grains. As I have said before the list of ingredients on the bag tell you very little about the formula used for any feed. Just by chance if you read this it is a good thing to remember and you don't need to shoot the messenger who has made an effort to educate you as well as others, not because I am smarter but it just happens to be the area I spent many years of my life studying and then working in.

Chicken is a fresh meat ingredient that contains approximately 70% water but it is dried and ground before being processed since you can't mix chunks of chicken into the meal that is being processed. So it is rather misleading to say they even use fresh chicken in a feed. If there was a way of using it fresh and they include 1000 of chicken in the formula for a ton of feed they would only get a little less that 1400 pounds out of that ton, which would be a huge manufacturing shrink.

I know this is a waste of time for Stoneface since he isn't reading it but maybe for some others it will explain a couple of things in the manufacturing process.

As ever, your most ignorant, belligerent person I've ever had the displeasure of reading in my life. Every time I read another one of your retarded remarks it depresses me because those are precious moments of life that have totally been wasted and are gone forever. I feel like I should be allowed to sue you for damages or something. (Sorry for any typos, it seems like I get less intelligent and capable with every post of yours I have read.)

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:38 pm

Ladies and gentlemen, you are trying to make feeding dogs much more complicated than it is...when it is actually very simple.

Charlie

brad27

Post by brad27 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:54 pm

He is really smart and experienced but naive. The GMO trend is very much a downtrend globally. Thank god there are countries like France, Italy, Serbia and Hungary that are leading the world on this issue. Only here GMO cultivation is viewed as a blessing and only by industry where the dollars count.

He may not be aware of all the new rules being imposed by countries that will eventually do away with these crops over the coming years.
Didn't the EU try to ban heirloom seeds?

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:10 pm

Stoneface wrote:And there can be nothing else with even an ounce of validity to it. Disagree with Ezzy and feel his wrath.
If anything you posted on this topic had any thing that could be construed as even a shred of validity then you may have some reason to feel displeasure. If you want to be treated as a serious person try posting something that could actually be taken seriously as a start of discourse.

Anyway, rant on about nothing.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:05 pm

MonsterDad wrote:

http://now.msn.com/hungary-burns-1000-a ... corn-crops

As for alflatoxin risk, he knows darn well that toxin can't be contained very well and cross-contamination to pet food storage is very easy.
I guess you are right about me being naïve since I had no idea those countries are leading the world opinion on anything. People are always reluctant to accept something new that they know little about. But their attitude will change when they get hungry and need grain to live.

Ezzy