stud dog owner Q

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

stud dog owner Q

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:05 am

I agreed to stud my dog for a repeat breeding. He did not know exactly when her cycle would be but he expected this month or next. Unfortunately I have One long trip planned this year, only one, coming up and the female owner called and told me she was in heat yesterday. I just found out yesterday that she is 7 days in and I am supposed to leave in two days. Last time she didn't breed until day 19!! And took on that or the next breeding which was day 21. I should be back by that day 18 or 19 but that is pushing the line.
what are my options at this point? How far should I be expected to make this happen as the stud dog owner?
I offered for the male to stay with him, but he has two dogs and two kennels. I don't want my dog kenneled with the female full time! Of course!
Any ideas here?

adogslife

Re: stud dog owner Q

Post by adogslife » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:29 am

Usually the bitch comes to the stud.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:42 am

Who is taking care of your dog while you are gone.?....The bitch should have progesterone tests done to find the optimum day and then the owner can bring her over on that day and supervise the breeding at your place. ( that is if the person watching your dog is comfortable with that)

Its all on the Bitches owner to make this happen, not you. Your main responsibility is to make sure your dog is safe....Both should be tested for Brucellosis.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:56 am

Brazosvalleyvizslas,
I offered that. I have family watching my dogs most days and a friend for a few of the days when the family can not, but non of them want to be responsible for the whole thing. They are fine with trying to be there while the b*tch owner comes up to do the breeding.

I offered to let the male stay with them, but they are not set up for that.
I offered to let him drive her up on the appropriate days, but he doesn't want to do the progesterone. (because of $$)
He has a male and we talked about using him as a teaser dog, but he said his female might stand for him early since she knows him well. I don't know, but I do know with my dog last time she would NOT stand until the right day. Not even a little.
I MIGHT be back in time because she runs long, and the pregesterone would let me know how that was going. I could even leave 1 day early if I had to to get back in time.

my feelings are... and I want to be sure I am being fair here. If he will do the pregesterone and leg work, he is good. If he doesn't want to spend the money then he should wait or find a different stud dog. BUT if I were on his end, it would be frustrating, I know. Timing just stinks!

pointer

Post by pointer » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:27 am

It is on the owner of the bitch to do what is necessary to breed to the male of his choice. You can be as accommodating as possible, but it is still on him to do what is necessary if he wants pups. I think you are being more than fair and have offered plenty of alternatives. It sounds to me that you have done your part and now he needs to do a little work on his end if he wants pups bad enough.

Georgia Boy

Post by Georgia Boy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:43 pm

Bitches cycles vary, there is no guarantee they will stand, much less conceive at the same time. I have done repeat breedings and have seen this first hand.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:20 pm

set something up with your vet... have your family take studley to the vet, have the bitch owner bring his girl to the vet... have vet do the breeding. That way your family doesn't have to hassle with it, bitch gets bred. The bitch owner is going to have to work with you if they want to get it done.

I know you probably feel a bit bad about it, but you cannot plan your vacation around a bitches cycle... how would you ever know when she was ready. And... the bitch owner should have contacted you on day 1, not 7.
good luck

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Post by ACooper » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:23 pm

You've given him the options that he has, if those don't work maybe he should wait for next heat or find another stud. I would tell him the options again and let him make his choice.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:35 pm

ACooper wrote:You've given him the options that he has, if those don't work maybe he should wait for next heat or find another stud. I would tell him the options again and let him make his choice.
+1

rinker

Post by rinker » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Send your male to his house, and bring his male to your house. Have your family feed his dog at your house.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks all.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:23 pm

mountaindogs wrote:I agreed to stud my dog for a repeat breeding. He did not know exactly when her cycle would be but he expected this month or next
Neither did you when you made the agreement but a man is only as good as his word. Business is business and vacation time is personal time. Business should always come first especially when you give your word. Sorry I know you probably want everyone to tell you what you want to hear and to go on vacation but you did give your word. Sounds to me like you should postpone your plans to keep prior business commitments. Good luck with whatever you decide.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:48 pm

Ms. Cage wrote:
ACooper wrote:You've given him the options that he has, if those don't work maybe he should wait for next heat or find another stud. I would tell him the options again and let him make his choice.
+1
++1

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:
mountaindogs wrote:I agreed to stud my dog for a repeat breeding. He did not know exactly when her cycle would be but he expected this month or next
Neither did you when you made the agreement but a man is only as good as his word. Business is business and vacation time is personal time. Business should always come first especially when you give your word. Sorry I know you probably want everyone to tell you what you want to hear and to go on vacation but you did give your word. Sounds to me like you should postpone your plans to keep prior business commitments. Good luck with whatever you decide.
He was informed up front that I would be taking a trip in summer. I did not have the dates at the time. It's no light thing for someone with multiple dogs, goats, chickens, pigeons, and a horse to leave town. Alot of plans have to happen to make it work and changing plans is equally difficult. Even family has full time jobs and getting them to come this far can be tough on a daily basis, and they have to fit it in as well. I see your point though and that is why I wanted to be sure to be fair. He has several options available including keeping my male, and coming here with the female, waiting for the next cycle, and no money has been exchanged. Cancelling plans for my kids and my parents and grandparents hardly seems fair either over a dog breeding. Tough choices. :( Not like it's just me.

Thanks again for the thoughts. I have talked with him at length pretty much leaving it up to him. He has decided to wait for the next cycle.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:26 pm

Glad you got it worked out.

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

stud dog owner Q

Post by ACooper » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:36 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:
Could not disagree more. No way would I let a hobby get in the way of my life.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:10 pm

tommyboy72 wrote:
LOL, for real?

Breeding your random male dog is not a business decision, that is a hobby decision. I would place my families time and vacation a helluva lot hire than breeding a dog.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:57 am

Your word is your word regardless. I am glad this person got it worked out.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:14 am

Elkhunter wrote:Breeding your random male dog is not a business decision, that is a hobby decision. I would place my families time and vacation a helluva lot hire than breeding a dog.
This is not breeding your random stud dog. This person owns a kennel and since they have a website I am assuming it is a business or why waste the money and time to put up a website? Here is the link to it.

http://gundogforum.com/members/370/?page=58

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:47 am

Anyone who thinks that someone should place breeding a dog versus quality time needs to have their head examined. It sounds like the OP's "WORD" was planned far in advance to the breeding and he is looking at all alternatives to make things happen.

Questioning on his "word" is out of line. Why not offer a suggestion that may help.

Elkhunter

Post by Elkhunter » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:49 am

I have many friends that have websites, its a hobby that they are passionate about.

Some have different priorities than others.

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:51 am

I was on vacation last summer in Lake Tahoe when a bitch I agreed to have one of my stud dogs breed came in...I offered an apology that it didn't work out and a half joking option that they could drive from Idaho and stay in the Tahoe/Truckee area for a few days and i would meet them a few mornings to do the breeding. They came down and stayed...seemed to enjoy it, and they brought me coffee every morning. I sorta had to do it, because I have a website.

tommyboy72
GDF Junkie

Post by tommyboy72 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:52 am

Mountaindogs I want to apologize for using you as an example and in no way did I mean to question your "word". I was merely referring to the fact that in western Oklahoma that when we tell someone we are going to do something we make sure it gets done at all costs which it looks like you are doing.

Elkhunter and Brazos if you took time to review the website in depth you would realize that this is not just a hobby for mountaindogs. They have an extremely in depth puppy contract and are selling pups for $800 a piece unless you choose the limited registration option then you get a pup for $600 and if you choose to later change your mind and go with the full registration option then you will pay an additional $200 for the rights to breed the dog you purchased from them. Hobby breeders do not normally have such an extensive contract. Hobby breeders do not normally limit the breeding rights of those pups they have sold. I am not saying this is mountaindogs sole source of income but it is a side "business" not a hobby. Litters are evaluated for show potential by a professional handler. Mountaindogs offers an extensive health gurantee at the expense of Briarfield kennel which is not normal with a "hobby" breeder. Briarfield kennel also retains rights to reaquire the pups they have sold in the event that it cannot be retained by the original purchaser of the pup. Also not normally done with hobby breeders. This is a business plain and simple and I am glad for mountaindogs that they were able to make this happen and to accommodate their customer.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:19 pm

Tommy,

Every "hobby" breeder that I know has their own website, health guaranty, contracts. Whats your point?

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:12 pm

You could set them up with another stud that is close, or same lines as yours.. just a suggestion.

Things come up, plans change, always good to have a backup plan for the bitch and or stud. Regardless of anything dogs are a hobby, and personal life comes first.