Fly Control?

Onk

Fly Control?

Post by Onk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:27 pm

Can anyone give me some advice for what to use on my dogs or kennels to control the flies? My dogs are getting ate alive, I hung the fly traps in the kennel and they work to a point but not well enough. Just need to know some way to control this strange about of flies without it being harmful to the dogs. Thanks

PS kennels are cleaned each day so that is not the reason for the extreme numbers of flies this year. Its been a wet cool spring and start of summer is the same, maybe that has something to do with it.

cmc274

Re: Fly Control?

Post by cmc274 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:29 pm

What kind of flies?

Onk

Post by Onk » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:34 pm

Just your standard run of the mill house flies as far as I know. Don't really know my flies that well, they bite thats for sure. You know now that I think about it they may be a bit smaller than a regular ole fly, stings when they bite!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:58 pm

I keep the kennel dark and the flies don't like that. I covered the windows and haven't had a problem since.

Ezzy

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:59 pm

I am having the same problem. They are horrible this year....More so than normal.

Charlie

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:25 pm

Perhaps fly predators from spaulding labratories? I''ve got to spray for mosiqitos,the spray I use which is permetherin seems to get skeeters,flys and fleas.

campgsp

Post by campgsp » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:02 am

I get the same problem every few years. Fly predators work, but are costly.

What I do is hang fly traps around the kennel, not the old sticky tape looking ones, but an actual fly trap. They have them at homedepot, Walmart, etc. Also clean the whole kennel down with bleach, and let it sit a while before hosing it all out. The bleach helps kill all the bacteria you can't see, and deters flys. Just make sure you hose it off good don't want the dogs licking their pads full of it.

What ever you use for disposing the poo, put some bleach in their let it kill em.

Harts sprayed on the dogs kills the flys instantly. I spray them down with the hose, then with the harts and work it into their skin. Once every couple day is good.

About five years ago it got so bad here a couple of my dogs were covered head to toe in flies, it was like one of those bee people. Horrible on the dogs. Used the things above and problem solved. It takes a few weeks to kill them off but once they gone your good. your still have a couple around but it'll be better

No matter how clean it is flys will come, just have to be ready for them. It's war!