Naming a gundog

atothek

Naming a gundog

Post by atothek » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:23 am

Hey everyone
I've found some great ideas for dog names on this forum. But, Ive heard in the past that a gundog name should be 1 syllable. Any truth to that? I appreciate the input.
Aaron
Last edited by atothek on Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Re: Naming a gun dog

Post by DonF » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:50 am

I don't have any guns I've named dog. I don't even used the word around Squirt and Bodie. I do have a Betsy though! :mrgreen:

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:00 am

DonF wrote:I don't have any guns I've named dog. ... :mrgreen:
Me neither. :D But I have had some guns that were dogs. Image

atothek

Post by atothek » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:03 am

Maybe I should clarify. I meant naming a gundog. Keeping the dogs name 1 syllable.

reba

Post by reba » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:13 am

Name your dog anything; but it's call name should be one syllable or short and distinctive.

Don't call it anything that sounds like a command. Example: Beau will sound like NO.

Red, Rex, Jolie, Reba, Zolt, Dutch, Scarf, Puppy, Summer, Crazy, Lance, Gus, Lee, Rodent, Buster, Veda, Hobs or Willie T Ribs;-)=

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Re: Naming a gundog

Post by RoostersMom » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:27 am

I vote for Willie T Ribs. I'd call him "T."

Many trainers go by the "one" rule. I have and have had: Gator, Rocks, Rooster Cogburn (Roo), Tug, Tack, BB, Hammer (Ham), Thibidoux (Tibbs), Ginny (Gin), Piper, Goose, Reba, Lizzy, Clementine (Clem), Cree & Ute. Fosters: Joe, Jack, Boone, Scooter, Jazz, Bear, Bandit.....

I've learned that I hate the typical dogs named like guns that are becoming so popular - but that's a personal preference. I personally know 7 Remingtons and a buttload of Ruger's as well. Another million or so Drakes that are labs.

A Beau or Moe sounds an awful lot like WHOA. Rooster is a poor name for a dog that you're going to hunt pheasants with (found out that one the hard way - I didn't hunt pheasants 9 years ago when I named him - just quail).

atothek

Post by atothek » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:03 pm

These names will be for a male gsp, some of my favorites are Weston (west), Kai, axel (I don't want people to think he's named after axl rose haha), and porter.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:05 pm

I try to avoid call names that start with an S or P. Cuts down on the spray.

Personally I favor B names. They punch out pretty well for me. Belle, Breeze, Blue, Bud, Bama, Blaze, Bull, Brite, Boomer....

FWIW I had a Beau and he knew the difference. Maybe it was because the command in question was usually followed by "YOU miserable SOB!" or something similar. :lol: :lol:
All kidding aside, he never hada problem figuring out which was which.. Probably situational awareness.

I do have a "Star". When I call her the emphasis is on the T and it comes out "sTAR".

I read somewhere that dogs kinda pick the syllables that make sense to them out of a stream of words. Probably a good thing.

RayG

atothek

Post by atothek » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:20 pm

I forgot to mention Rommel, always thought that would be a good name

mask

Post by mask » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:03 pm

I have heard a lot of dogs called you s o b, don't know if this will help. :D :lol:

ACooper
GDF Premier Member!

Naming a gundog

Post by ACooper » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:53 pm

I prefer call names that are one syllable names that don't rhyme with whoa.

Name the dog whatever you want it's unlikely it will make much difference.

fullrutt

Naming a gundog

Post by fullrutt » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:00 pm

I named my new fox red Kayak.. An now know of a new born little Boy named kayak and two out of state friends who named there pups kayak

ohmymy111

Post by ohmymy111 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:24 pm

I don't think 1 syllable makes a difference. I have Vern, Chloe Darius, Ardoise pronounced r-dwaz, Frances, Hugo, Etoile, Zipper, Finnegan and Hellion. Calling out multiple syllable names is no big deal. I like names that are not as common, although I have run into a fair amount of Chloe's.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:36 pm

I remember a couple funny names over the years.

There was a Japanese lady that had a little yapper named "Ko-Ko", which translated, means 'come here'.

There's a Peruvian lady in the neighborhood that has a nearly white lab named "Gringo". :D

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:06 pm

IMO, it is not that big of a deal. The dog will learn his name.

Charlie

aulrich

Post by aulrich » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:10 pm

don't pick over used names

chester
remy
drake
harley
roster

daisy

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:49 am

Banks ;)
Isaac and Banks

atothek

Post by atothek » Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:06 am

Would you say Diesel is a common name?

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:33 pm

I like Rommel!
It was on my short list of names for my current pup, but it was vetoed by my wife and daughter because they thought it was too close to Rowdy, our recently deceased lab.
The other downfall would be having to explain the name to people who don't "really" know history and just see Rommel as another nazi. Of course, for those who DO know a little bit about history...that wasn't the case.

As far as the "syllable" question, I believe that dogs pick up on a syllable even when there is more than one.
So, in other words, a dog would probably pick up on the "Rom" in Rommel. And, to me, that would be a quick call name.

atothek

Post by atothek » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:40 pm

@duckdog, I really like the name Rommel. I have the same hesitation with having to explain to people about the history of the name. Axel is also a favorite of mine. But the name Diesel rolls off the tongue easily, especially if it needs to be yelled :lol:

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:51 pm

I had a dog named Axle and I loved it because when I got mad I could say "A&& hole" and he would still respond. :wink:

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:10 pm

atothek wrote:Hey everyone
I've found some great ideas for dog names on this forum. But, Ive heard in the past that a gundog name should be 1 syllable. Any truth to that? I appreciate the input.
Aaron
Hard syllable's like Kate, Kyle, Jake etc. The sound tends to carry better. Its hard finding a nice female name without two syllables.

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:17 pm

Their was a Brittany National Open Champ several years ago who's call name was "Jim". I guess after you have been running dogs for a long time you don't tend to spend a whole lot of time on a name. :lol: Have a brother in law who named a pup "Brown". His full name was Diarrhea Brown. :twisted:

High Voltage

Post by High Voltage » Sun Jul 07, 2013 3:32 pm

Brazosvalleyvizslas wrote:I had a dog named Axle and I loved it because when I got mad I could say "A&& hole" and he would still respond. :wink:
LOL, I have a friend with one named Axel and it always sounds like she is saying @$$hole when she calls him.
We like 2 syllable names, easier to "sing". I was told when a dog is running and breathing hard they do not hear so if you draw out their name there is a better chance of them hearing it...don't know if this is true.

birddogger
GDF Junkie

Post by birddogger » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:18 pm

I have had dogs with one syllable, two syllable and even two word names and I can honestly say, I have never noticed any difference in the way the dogs responded. I believe many of us tend to over think things, whether it be naming dogs, feeding dogs, training dogs, etc. Just my thoughts.

Charlie

RoostersMom
GDF Junkie

Post by RoostersMom » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:44 pm

My sister had a Rommel - I loved the name. My husband wanted to name our Chessie Patton -until we got him - then he became Tack instead. It's funny when you yell it out -it kind of sounds like you're telling him to ATTACK.

He wants to name the new pointer pup Ticondaroga, but it's not on my short list!

I know of several Diesels, but they are pit bull types.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:49 pm

atothek wrote:@duckdog, I really like the name Rommel. I have the same hesitation with having to explain to people about the history of the name. Axel is also a favorite of mine. But the name Diesel rolls off the tongue easily, especially if it needs to be yelled :lol:
atothek -

I think Rommel is a fantastic name for a German dog. He was one of the GREAT generals and tacticians of modern times and his use of maneuver was revolutionary in mechanized warfare. He was on the losing side. So what??

I personally would not name a dog Adolph, or Hitler, Eichmann or Goering or Yamashita(the butcher of Malaya) because a good dog doesn't deserve a bad name. But then I wouldn't name a dog Attilla or Genghis either. I might just name a German dog Patton or Montgomery or Eisenhower to be contrary, but that's me.

BTW, It is also a great name, but I do know about a half dozen dogs named Diesel. however i know none named Benz. I can see it now " Let me show you my Mercedes...HERE BENZ!

If you decide to get into testing and trialing, there might be more truth to that last comment than anyone wants to admit.

Have fun.

RayG

RayG

AZ Brittany Guy

Post by AZ Brittany Guy » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:28 pm

As a Field Trial Secretary it used to drive me nuts with the long...loong..looong German Pedigree names. I would get cross eyed trying to fill out the forms :|

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:45 pm

Not trying to offend anyone,
but i not a fan of the common names like "diesel, duke, drake, hunter, gunner, big shot" all of the names i listed, i have seen at least multiple times, and I'm only 15
I like more original names
To be honest it seems like most guys but big labs or chessies and give them a tough dog name so it looks better.
Isaac and Banks

atothek

Post by atothek » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:49 pm

I agree with not wanting a common name. I am short listing rommel, axel, and kai. Keep the advice and suggestions coming, thanks for some great posts so far :)
Aaron

Double Shot Banks

Post by Double Shot Banks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:50 pm

Just thought id share, before deciding on "Banks" i was thinking of naming the dog "Apollo", i really like the name and don't see it anywhere.
Isaac and Banks

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:15 am

We spent a week disscussing names for our Brits.Thats Creed and Xena in the avatar.

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:39 am

Xena is a name I will NEVER name a dog!
Why?
A long time ago, when "xena-warrior princess" first came on tv, we lived next to a deaf lady who had a dog named xena that barked ALL night long! Of course, she couldn't hear it!
And then, we would get to hear her yell "XENA!!" all the time way louder than normal.
It left a bad impression... ;)

Saddle

Post by Saddle » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:56 am

I tend to name dogs something that fits them. For instance I had a good dog years ago that I called hump. Needless to say you didn't want to get too close to him when he was on the chain.

Hoosierdaddy

Post by Hoosierdaddy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:33 am

Duckdog wrote:Xena is a name I will NEVER name a dog!
Why?
A long time ago, when "xena-warrior princess" first came on tv, we lived next to a deaf lady who had a dog named xena that barked ALL night long! Of course, she couldn't hear it!
And then, we would get to hear her yell "XENA!!" all the time way louder than normal.
It left a bad impression... ;)
Our beloved Brittanys are much more well behaved than that.LOL.And so are their owners!

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:34 am

I've got a rule that the names have to end in an "E" sound,I feel the E carries on the wind better, I've had a Suzi,Lynni,Mindy.Sonny,Barney,Abby,Candy,Joey,Tommy,Dottie,Mary,Molly,Buddy,Mikey,Ricky,Lefty. I've had some that weren't E sounded names and perhaps it had nothing to do with the E but more to do with the dogs being knuckleheads because those dogs didn't hear so well.

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:17 am

atothek wrote:Would you say Diesel is a common name?
Sounds perfect. If you like it use it. Some people make too big a deal out of naming a pet. Half the time they end up using a nick name anyway.

Nate

FirearmFan

Post by FirearmFan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:40 am

What do you guys think about if you have two dogs with similar sounding names? One of the names I am very much considering naming my new pup is Loki. I really like the name and it seems to fit him. The only thing potentially holding me back is that I already have a dog named Lexi. I'm worried this could cause confusion. Your thoughts? Lexi is a French Bulldog and not a hunter so any name confusion would occur around the house and yard, not in the field.

mountaindogs
GDF Junkie

Post by mountaindogs » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:18 am

My two one syllable named dogs are the hardest for me to say loudly.
Currently have :
Mabel
Si
Jed
Sky
Liebe (LEE-BAY)

Sky is actually one syllable and I forgot. Hers works well. Easy to call.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:56 am

FirearmFan wrote:What do you guys think about if you have two dogs with similar sounding names? One of the names I am very much considering naming my new pup is Loki. I really like the name and it seems to fit him. The only thing potentially holding me back is that I already have a dog named Lexi. I'm worried this could cause confusion. Your thoughts? Lexi is a French Bulldog and not a hunter so any name confusion would occur around the house and yard, not in the field.
I dont see a problem. Loki will cue on the O and Lexi will cue on the EX most likely depending on how you use the names.

41magsnub

Post by 41magsnub » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:26 am

I named my female GWP Mädchen or Maddie for short.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:51 pm

No offense to anyone, but my preference is not to glorify a man that fought for the biggest villian in the past 100 yrs, no matter how good he was at killing Allied forces. I've heard the argument about Rommel's greatness before. I've read about the man as well. The previous two facts remain, even if he was a genius commander in a war many decades ago.

Name the dog something that brings a good thought to mind.

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:12 pm

Not to TOTALLY sidetrack... ;)
But, it is my belief that Rommel never fought FOR Hitler, but for Germany itself.
He dispised Hitler and was even part of a conspiracy to have him killed. Which, backfired..
Hitler got wind of it, and forced Rommel to commit suicide in exchange for his family's well being.

Here is what Winston Churchill had to say about him:
"He also deserves our respect, because, although a loyal German soldier, he came to hate Hitler and all his works, and took part in the conspiracy to rescue Germany by displacing the maniac and tyrant. For this, he paid the forfeit of his life. In the sombre wars of modern democracy, there is little place for chivalry.”

And, this is from a Jewish web site:
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... ommel.html

So,...there ya go.

It also reminds me of another quote:
"The other downfall would be having to explain the name to people who don't "really" know history and just see Rommel as another nazi. Of course, for those who DO know a little bit about history...that wasn't the case."

Oh, wait...that was me! ;)

MN Bonasa

Post by MN Bonasa » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:59 pm

atothek wrote:These names will be for a male gsp, some of my favorites are Weston (west), Kai, axel (I don't want people to think he's named after axl rose haha), and porter.
If I was naming a male GSP I really like "Panzer" just seems to fit, like a tank blazing a trail through the bush!! But since I got a female GSP I couldn't make her a tank.. so she goes by Elli or I actually call her Beans a lot also.

Duckdog

Post by Duckdog » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:55 pm

Panzer was another name on my (last) short list, but I knew I'd end up calling it "Pan", and I've already got a "Pen" (for Penny).
I like Panzer too! Good name for a German dog.

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:41 pm

When you hear or read "Panzer" the first thing that comes to mind is Tank or Nazi when in reality "Panzer" is the german word for "Armor"

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:25 am

Sorry ducdog, asperations of killing the maniac to assume leadership of a campaign for world domination isnt an honorable act in my book. Every man make choices. He made a choice to fight on the the side bent on world domination, killing tens of thousands defending their freedom from Nazi rule. Where's the honor in that? Why not worship the DC sniper for being a goodshot? :roll:

nikegundog
GDF Junkie

Post by nikegundog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:46 am

Double Shot Banks wrote:Just thought id share, before deciding on "Banks" i was thinking of naming the dog "Apollo", i really like the name and don't see it anywhere.
Isaac and Banks
Flashbacks to Magnum P.I. come to mind.

Escopeton

Post by Escopeton » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:28 am

I named my first Lab. "Reina Loba" (queen wolf) and her call name was Reina. My second Lab is named Tizona (El Cid had two swords; Encolada and Tizona). My GSP is named Infanta Alba (royal title and dawn) and her call name is Allie. My English Pointer is named Conde Duque (Field Marshall) and his call name is "Duke".