Lets me this again need advice

oilcan

Lets me this again need advice

Post by oilcan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:04 am

OK i'm new here so take it easy on me .
A little back ground i had a GSP when i was 18 i didn't really know anything about them i just looked in the local papers (i live in California) and found some puppies for sale.My girlfriend ( now my wife ) and i went and looked at them and we picked the one that was running all over the place and had nice colors,can't go wrong there right LOL. I ended up sending her to a trainer for a month as thats all i could afford at the time but she actually was a decent dog for as little training as she had.By the time she was done hunting i was married and raising a family with no extra time and not much extra money so the bird hunting went on the back burner.

Fast forward 25+ years kids are about grown and i got a little extra time on my hands and want to get another GSP and get back into Bird hunting.I know i don't want to go the puppy rout right now so i am looking to get a "Finished" Dog.I will be ready to retire in 8 years so i figure get a Dog ready to hunt now and then get a pup around that time and perhaps attempt to do some of the training myself.

I know "Finished" can mean different things to different people but basically i'm looking for a Dog ready to hunt "turn Key" able to point ,retrieve to hand,Honor ect.This will be a foot hunting dog and would like a fairly close working Dog,not interested in trials or anything like that. I know it wil be expensive but i am looking at this like an investment this Dog will not only be used for hunting but it will be part of the family.My wife already say's it can't sleep outside it will be spoiled i'm sure.LOL

I've been reading here and other sights along with breeders web pages but without any recent knowledge or connections it is a little overwhelming.They all sound good and tell you what you want to here but with all the different bloodlines and traits my head is spinning.

So if anyone could recommend a few Kenels/trainers to help me narrow it down some i would greatly appreciate it.When i find something i like i plan on going out to see the dog before purchasing it i'm very leary of purchasing a Finished Dog sight unseen although from what i hear it does happen alot.I live in California and would like to keep it Mid US and West but will travel farther if needed.
Thanks Bruce

GSP7

Re: Lets me this again need advice

Post by GSP7 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:01 pm

You asked for advice, so here is mine. Take up golf instead :mrgreen:

Fran Seagren

Post by Fran Seagren » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:06 pm

GSP7 wrote:You asked for advice, so here is mine. Take up golf instead :mrgreen:
Too funny! Laughed out loud.

Seriously, I hope someone gives this guy some good advice. It does help to have some recommendations if you're new to the game.

Ms. Cage

Post by Ms. Cage » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:12 pm

You would like a finished dog. Will you mantain a finished ? Even finished dogs need to be mantained, some more then others. If you don't they will come apart too.

oilcan

Post by oilcan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:37 pm

GSP7 that sounds like something my wife would say.LOL

I have received some help and thank you to all that have made some recommendations it will give me a good starting point . I understand not wanting to mention any names publicly so I appreciate the P.M.'s

Bruce

oilcan

Post by oilcan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:43 pm

"You would like a finished dog. Will you mantain a finished ? Even finished dogs need to be mantained, some more then others. If you don't they will come apart too."

Yes I realize it will be an ongoing process and I will do what ever I need to be it myself or hiring some one.Thanks

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:29 am

A finished dog can be expensive, but are often a good investment. I understand your concerns for buying a dog sight unseen. Kirby Rust has a good reputation and some nice dogs available. http://www.outbackgundogs.com

Nate

Chukar12
GDF Junkie

Post by Chukar12 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:55 am

These folks are all GSP people in California who probably have dogs for sale. The top 3 are all trial trainers and handlers as well as hunting dogs. The last kennel in Dixon, CA does more hunt test work, some rehabilitation stuff and usually has well trained hunting dogs for sale.

Leroy Merrell
http://merrellkennels.com/MKDogs4Sale/MKDogs4Sale.htm

Carl Porter
http://www.huntingdogtrainer.net/index.html

Randy Berry
Von Steuben Kennels. Where: 7758 Hastings Island Rd, Rio Vista , CA; Call: (707) 344-1230

Steve Klassen
blueridgekennels
it only lets us give two url's but this is a website above if you type it in as such

Good luck,

Joe Gower

oilcan

Post by oilcan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:22 am

Chukar12 you have a P.M.

bobman

Post by bobman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:04 pm

Contact local field trialers they often have dogs that for one reason or another wont be winners but make excellent hunting dogs and have a lot of training time invested in them.

They have to move the dogs that wont win if they are serious about trialing

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:16 pm

bobman did make a good point.
Contact Leroy Merrell in bakersfield, He trains dogs for field trialers and may have one that didnt make the cut in the run department.
Also give landmark kennels a call, Ellis does a good job training dogs and i know he hassome fully trained dogs available for sale. He will also train you to keep the dog broke.
Let me know if you need any help.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:24 pm

Bruce,
This guy's not a GSP guy, but a fulltime kennel of mostly English Pointers... his name is Sheldon Twer. He trials as well. http://twerkennels.com/

I'm not sure you'd be interested in Pointer, but he's in Oakdale, CA and may not be far from you. He's a really nice guy and probably worth a talk about dogs and what you want from one. Maybe he can give you another recommendation if he can't provide a dog for you.

Brazosvalleyvizslas

Post by Brazosvalleyvizslas » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:06 pm

I know of a finished Vizsla in California. Other than that, you have been given some good contacts for GSP's.