What is the best Mosquito control for your kennels?

Sterndog

Post by Sterndog » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:43 am

I am located in central Florida and this time of year we start to see SWARMS at night and evening of the little pests. I have outdoor kennels and I am constantly trying solutions to keep my dogs comfortable. Has anyone had any success doing so? Are there certain plants/trees I can plant around my kennels? I heard that Myrtle Bushes will help. What sprays work the best? What items can I put around the kennels to help cut down on it? Currently I apply a watered down solution of Skin So Soft. Also, I will use the equine spray called "Bronco". I look forward to the much needed feedback.

FYI: I know some will recommend control by removing areas where water can collect.... Remember I am in Florida and during this time of year that is impossible. There is standing water everywhere. Also, my dogs are in the water daily so any suggestions of measures I can take for the kennel itself instead of application directly to the dogs are preferred.

Johng918

Re: What is the best Mosquito control for your kennels?

Post by Johng918 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:37 am

I have Marigolds around my kennel seems to work, Can also plant catnip,citronella(works very well),horsemint.

markj
GDF Junkie

Post by markj » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:52 am

I use a spray from cutter, bug free backyard. Seems to work well here. Lasts for a while too.

roaniecowpony

Post by roaniecowpony » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Ruffshooter
GDF Junkie

Post by Ruffshooter » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:01 pm

DDT. :o

Rod W

Post by Rod W » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:11 pm

Daisy 880, excellent training for wing shooting. Don't lead them at all!!!!!

Wildweeds

Post by Wildweeds » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:17 pm

I have skeeter problems here and use a cattle spray called Permetherin,you can apply it to the animal or use it as an area spray,I use it on the lawn and kennell area and it works pretty good,it works for quite awhile provided it doesn't rain to much.I did 2 aplications last year one about this time and another mid august.

Sterndog

Post by Sterndog » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:51 am

Thanks all of the feedback! I have gone out and purchased a mister to install in the kennels that will discharge an all nautural continuos mist throughout the night. It is called a Mosquito Sentry. If this works I will let you know. It was about 80.00 at Home Depot and the solution is another 20.00. If this doesn't work I will be looking at one of the automatic sprayers or misters that looks like an average cost of about 800-1600. For Florida the yard and dog applications just don't work due to daily thunderstorms this time of year. I will keep you posted!

TexasReds

Post by TexasReds » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:27 am

We have a thing called skeeter vac. It runs on propane and seems to work pretty well. It's a little pricey @300 or so, but a lot cheaper than West Nile.

808allday

Post by 808allday » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:02 pm

I'm sure you already know this but mosquitos spawn in standing water, without it there concentration won't be so high on your land. Just removing free standing water helps a lot

Scott Linden

Post by Scott Linden » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 am

Anyone here feed garlic tablets to their dog to make them "unpalatable" to bugs?

Neil
GDF Junkie

Post by Neil » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:20 pm

When I lived in Florida, the only thing I found that worked was to screen the kennel. Check with some swimming pool installers, it is pricey and will only last about ten years. I put it 3 feet outside the chainlink yard the second time, as one of my dogs just ran through the first one. Mine was 7 foot high and 50 x 100.

asc

Post by asc » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:57 am

Mosquito Magnet (propane fired) works good at my house, had one for 10 years, makes about half the yard bearable.