Weimaraner Owner question

Bberry20

Weimaraner Owner question

Post by Bberry20 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:57 am

To all you weim owners,

My buddy is adopting/buying a 1 1/2 year old weim. In doing some research on him he noticed that he was bred in Iowa. In reseraching that it seems to read that a lot of weims are from puppy mills there. Do any of you have any information regarding the breedings and bloodlines for weims that i could share with him? He is concerned now because of the money he is putting up for the pup and the info he is reading. I thought all of the knowledgable folks here could shed some light. He has a name of the "beleived" breeder. I wont put it up here but when you google it, all the info looks to point in that direction of a mill. Feel free to pm if you want, i appreciate the help.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Weimaraner Owner question

Post by shags » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:34 pm

Is your friend buying the dog directly from the breeder, or is he going through a rescue/foster group?

IME, googling the name of a breeder who is producing decent dogs will result in some hits that point to his activities as a birddogger. I'd expect to see something that refers to trialing, testing. Or, if the person doesn't compete, but produces good personal gun dogs, the name might come up as reference on a forum or something. A FB page with reference to their dogs, posts on a birddog forum, something that shows involvement in dog activities.

Not to say every breeder of good dogs has to be somewhere on the interweb, but I'd be very cautious of someone who isn't.

Someone who has fostered the dog may have a clue as to the dog's abilities; and can usually give a fairly accurate account of the dog's personality etc regardless of the dog's origin.

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:03 pm

He is getting him from someone who originally bought the dog from a pet store. The people are only reselling him now because with they are working to much to give him the time he needs. He does have papers for him and will get them on saturday when we pick him up. She provided the name of the original breeder and it googles to a puppy mill in Iowa.

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Is your friend after a Weim to use for hunting, or is it simply a family companion? If he wants to ensure he gets a good hunting Weim, I can provide the names of a number of breeders who emphasize hunting ability in their breeding :).

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Bberry20 wrote:He is getting him from someone who originally bought the dog from a pet store. The people are only reselling him now because with they are working to much to give him the time he needs. He does have papers for him and will get them on saturday when we pick him up. She provided the name of the original breeder and it googles to a puppy mill in Iowa.
The fact that it came from a pet store almost guarantees that it comes from a puppy mill. The fact that the original "breeder" is proves that it does.

Like was asked, does he want to hunt the dog?

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:38 am

Yes he would like to hunt the dog. That is why i/he was asking on weim bloodlines. I have read many dogs that come from a puppy mill/pet store that turn into great hunting dogs. Thanks for the responses.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:09 am

Bberry20 wrote:Yes he would like to hunt the dog. That is why i/he was asking on weim bloodlines. I have read many dogs that come from a puppy mill/pet store that turn into great hunting dogs. Thanks for the responses.
Very true but he might be pushing his luck with a Wiem as there are way too many that do not have the hunting desire or tools they should have.

Ezzy

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:13 am

ezzy333 wrote:[ Very true but he might be pushing his luck with a Wiem as there are way too many that do not have the hunting desire or tools they should have.
+1

PM sent

Bberry20

Post by Bberry20 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:40 am

Very true, thanks!

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:06 pm

ezzy333 wrote:
Bberry20 wrote:Yes he would like to hunt the dog. That is why i/he was asking on weim bloodlines. I have read many dogs that come from a puppy mill/pet store that turn into great hunting dogs. Thanks for the responses.
Very true but he might be pushing his luck with a Wiem as there are way too many that do not have the hunting desire or tools they should have.

Ezzy
I actually agree with Ezzy!

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:40 pm

displaced_texan wrote:
ezzy333 wrote:

Ezzy
I actually agree with Ezzy!
It's not a bad thing to do. Some just take longer than others.:lol:

Ezzy

DoubleBarrel GunDogs

Post by DoubleBarrel GunDogs » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:38 pm

My wife and I were involved with an ESS rescue organization for a while. We fostered several dogs until they were placed for adoption. There was 1 Brittany in the mix that I decided to keep. She was a bit of a project, but it seemed at the time, to be worth the effort to make a gun dog out of her. The only problem was she never did point a bird, she would just root them out. Hidden learned behaviors can come in a variety of shapes and sizes with adopted dogs. Long story short; I decided to give her to an elderly gentleman who wanted a companion dog, because I really didn't need another pet. Fortunately it all worked out in the end; minus my time and the money it cost to adopt and keep her for a year. Moral of the story: Cheap dogs often will cost more time and money than their worth. I'm not saying that your friend made a poor investment, but he just may have a long row to hoe.

Nate

Hattrick

Post by Hattrick » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:59 am

If hes getting the dog to hunt hes probaly going to be disspointed it isnt many good weims out there. Like they said its probaly from a puppy mill. Its a lady in virgina that breeds weims thet are some of the best ive seen. Shes has dogs scatter all over the eastcaost and has been doing real well in FT,NAVHDA and AKC test. She has really nice dogs, standouts. I can get her info if hes interested.

LincolnAlexander

Post by LincolnAlexander » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:49 am

Hattrick, I believe you are thinking of Southpaw Weims, which is who I suggested reaching out to in my PM :D.

They have another great litter coming up that was just confirmed.

weimhunter

Post by weimhunter » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:37 am

There is also Hanson's Weims out of California...great breeder and great hunting dogs!